Author Topic: Matt. 1:19  (Read 501 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Matt. 1:19
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
I have a question about the role of intended action of St. Joseph in Matt. 1:18-25, and specifically what is mentioned in verse 19:

"Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily." (KJV)

"Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly." (NIV)

"and her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly." (RSV)

Before God intervened through the angel, what exactly did Joseph hope to accomplish with his plan? So far as I can tell the part translated 'divorce' or 'put her away' above can mean a range of things, such as divorce, release, sending away, etc. Whatever it might be, how would this be carried out so as to protect Mary from 'public disgrace' or 'shame'? After all, if she was 'dismissed' (or whatever term), and suddenly it was discovered that she was pregnant, that would have raised a lot of questions and invited some potential accusations. So if St. Joseph had indeed followed through with his plan, how exactly was he thinking that it would have worked out? Was the idea that he would 'dismiss her' in the sense that he wouldn't marry her, but would still keep her in his household and provide for her? Or...?
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: Matt. 1:19
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »

I think that instead of making a public scene of her "state", which he could....he would merely send her away....perhaps to a distant land....so, the locals wouldn't know she was pregnant and her name would not be besmirched and she wouldn't be stoned.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
once betrothed, a pregnancy was OK.  Hence why it would require a divorce-they weren't just going steady.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
once betrothed, a pregnancy was OK.  Hence why it would require a divorce-they weren't just going steady.

Because he knew it was not his baby. And I suppose he feared that he would be responsible later and felt it was not something he felt comfortable with.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:11:12 PM by Sinful Hypocrite »
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“