OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:05:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The canons were declared in response to prevalent issues  (Read 733 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« on: December 31, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

"When one has become engaged to a girl, but has in addition deflowered her sister too, so that she has been made pregnant by him, and he has after this married the one betrothed to him, but the one deflowered has hanged herself. Those aware of the facts have been ordered to spend ten years as co-standers in order to gain admission, in accordance with the fixed degrees."

-Canon 25, Council at Ancyra 314
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:09:54 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »

I wonder what the penalty would be in this day where scorned sisters hang themselves less in favor of posting angry videos on youtube.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »

Shocked  Cry

Wow. Just wow.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »

This was a plot on an episode of "Soap."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »

I wonder if this had to do with some small number of well-known cases, a large number of not-so-well-known cases, or someone thought this may be a problem somewhere, but couldn't point out a case?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

Wow... At one time people turned to the church with issues....

Today we have "Bishop Jerry Springer" giving guidance to the masses....

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:10:26 PM »

I don't know that it tood more than one such instance for a canon to be made regarding it, since the canon would be a guide in similar cases as well. Probably, it only too one bear entering a church for there to be a canon against it. Bishop N. tells the council, "Look, this was problematic for us. The bear totally wrecked the place because Subdeacon Quintus forgot to close the doors. If we just make a canon, we'll at least have something to reference and Quintus won't be so bent out of shape for being excommunicated for six months."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »

Bishop N. tells the council, "Look, this was problematic for us. The bear totally wrecked the place because Subdeacon Quintus forgot to close the doors. If we just make a canon, we'll at least have something to reference and Quintus won't be so bent out of shape for being excommunicated for six months."

Cheesy Grin
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »

I don't know that it tood more than one such instance for a canon to be made regarding it, since the canon would be a guide in similar cases as well. Probably, it only too one bear entering a church for there to be a canon against it. Bishop N. tells the council, "Look, this was problematic for us. The bear totally wrecked the place because Subdeacon Quintus forgot to close the doors. If we just make a canon, we'll at least have something to reference and Quintus won't be so bent out of shape for being excommunicated for six months."

I so want to find some record of the time a bear actually DID enter a church; I am nearly in disbelief that it ever happened; I can't help but think that someone got bored one day at a Church council and tagged that canon onto another one, with the bishops not even realizing what they were voting on.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »

I so want to find some record of the time a bear actually DID enter a church; I am nearly in disbelief that it ever happened; I can't help but think that someone got bored one day at a Church council and tagged that canon onto another one, with the bishops not even realizing what they were voting on.

Usually the canons are couched in some record of discussion or explanation, and we have some minutes. I don't know if there's a specific canon against bears, but the only animals allowed in church at all are cats since they, of course, are more other-worldly and ascetical and put people and mice in their appropriate place.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:52:24 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »

but the only animals allowed in church at all are cats since they, of course, are more other-worldly and ascetical and put people and mice in their appropriate place.

laugh Isn't that the truth!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »

but the only animals allowed in church at all are cats since they, of course, are more other-worldly and ascetical and put people and mice in their appropriate place.
laugh Isn't that the truth!

Seconded!  laugh
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:08:30 PM by LBK » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »

Usually the canons are couched in some record of discussion or explanation, and we have some minutes. I don't know if there's a specific canon against bears, but the only animals allowed in church at all are cats since they, of course, are more other-worldly and ascetical and put people and mice in their appropriate place.

The first time I ever heard of such a canon was actually something - I think - Handmaiden had posted in another thread a while back.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »

The canon came from a council of a local church (Ancyra), not a larger (Ecumenical, Pan-Orthodox, etc.) meeting, so they were likely dealing with a thorny issue in one of the constituent diocese that needed conciliar action.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:49 AM »

The canon came from a council of a local church (Ancyra), not a larger (Ecumenical, Pan-Orthodox, etc.) meeting, so they were likely dealing with a thorny issue in one of the constituent diocese that needed conciliar action.
Ah, that explains it. Strange how it seems to go from general language to specific language.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »

Perhaps one of royal or noble succession as to the preservation of hereditary rights.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: