OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:32:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converts: Do people think you're weird?  (Read 3305 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »

Most people thought I was weird before I became Orthodox.

I think Orthodoxy has helped me become less weird.

Mathe 24:36
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »

Hey Will.

I am seen as 'weird' however, most of the time it is not very negative. It is more in a curious way. For example, if I tell somebody about my conversion they are usually just so curious that they ask millions of questions about Orthodoxy and what it is and what led to my conversion etc. However, after finding out some of the answers many of them start to think I'm heretical or bad because of their common Protestant doubts to Orthodoxy. This also includes my own family, who, is not really too happy about my conversion but is trying to tolerate it. As for other adults in my life, some are pretty tolerant and some are not. I find that the older adults and Protestants are more tolerant and some have even encouraged my conversion. While the younger adults like the new, eager 24 year old Protestant pastors who just got their credentials are really annoying and bigoted at times. I also find I have more trouble with men than women. For example, some of the nicest, most tolerant and insightful people I know are old Baptist women, while some of the most arrogant, intolerant and annoying are young, trigger-happy Baptist men.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »

My family who are Catholic just think it is Catholicism without a Pope. So they don't really care. My friends knowing that I am into traditional religion and liturgy think its normal for me.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »

Whatever I do, people always find me awesome.

Sorry.

It's help to shake that whole weird thing by acting like a proper nominal Orthodox.

It's the last step of the Ladder of Divine Ascent that got lost in copying along the way and only kept in memory in certain remote villages in Romania.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2012, 03:50:52 AM »

Whatever I do, people always find me awesome.

Sorry.

It's help to shake that whole weird thing by acting like a proper nominal Orthodox.

It's the last step of the Ladder of Divine Ascent that got lost in copying along the way and only kept in memory in certain remote villages in Romania.

augustin17 probably knows where they are and is unimpressed.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

Okay, I'll just come out and say it:

I ask because I'm deathly afraid of being a religious hipster. I want to be religious but I don't want to be weirdly religious. I sincerely believe that Orthodoxy is the truth, but how do I know I'm not just another manifestation of the "exotic religion" factor which has made so many of my friends "convert" to Islam, Buddhism or atheism?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »

I think to counter any tendency to chase after the "exotic" aspect of Orthodoxy, you take a year or even more before converting, using the time to study and learn with your priest.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »

I think to counter any tendency to chase after the "exotic" aspect of Orthodoxy, you take a year or even more before converting, using the time to study and learn with your priest.

yes, it takes a while before "the exotic" wears off, and you are simply left with "the real".
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »

How much effort did they have to put forth to become Muslim, Buddhist, or atheist?  How much effort have you had to put forth to become Orthodox?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »

I'm beginning to think it was good for me to have to spend two years as a member of the parish before anything could move forward on conversion. It got me involved in the day to day life of the parish. Now I know more (so to speak) than I would if I had rushed it. It hasn't been easy, but I have a feeling it would have been worse had I pestered them for conversion early on.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:47 AM »

Well, outside of the community at the church I've visited, you guys, my parents, and a couple others, most don't really know I'm inquiring into Orthodoxy. For the most part, I've described myself as "on a spiritual journey" to most people lately, since I'm friends with many devout Protestants, Catholics, and atheists & agnostics, and I don't really want to bring faith/religion into the discussion. The non-Orthodox people who do know generally treat it as something they'd expect from me, what with all my quirks. My parents have remained non-judgmental at worst and supporting the idea of me finding things out on my own at best--something I'm truly thankful for. They probably see Orthodoxy as some relatively exotic religion that's sort of like Catholicism without a Pope or something.

But I'm going to continue taking my time in my inquiry.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:06:13 AM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »

I ask because I'm deathly afraid of being a religious hipster. I want to be religious but I don't want to be weirdly religious. I sincerely believe that Orthodoxy is the truth, but how do I know I'm not just another manifestation of the "exotic religion" factor which has made so many of my friends "convert" to Islam, Buddhism or atheism?

Weird
adjective
1. Belonging to; involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny. 
2. fantastic; bizarre; strange or unusual
3. Archaic . concerned with or controlling fate or destiny.
Holy
adjective
1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.
5. entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.

I obviously cannot comment specifically on the Orthodox aspect William, but by basic definition ‘weird’ and ‘Holy’ go hand in hand I think. Of this world is what the world considers normal. Belonging to God is outside of that normality that many will indeed consider ‘weird’. For me, the question becomes who do I belong to and who do I serve? It would be my personal hope, prayer, and desire to be considered ‘weird’ too! Will we be considered religious fanatics? Perhaps. Am I concerned with what man thinks of me or what my Lord God thinks of me? Ya know?

Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to hear what you would consider a Protestant make the claim that Orthodoxy is fundamental Truth. While there are many things I don't understand, thus may not agree with, I believe with all my heart Orthodoxy contains the Truth of our Lord Jesus Christ. How can you know you are not entering some form or manifestation of an ‘exotic religion’? I would begin with scripture of course to verify my path.

Matthew 5:10-12
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
    For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Speaking for only for myself cleavage and separation is a difficult task of my spirituality. May our Father grant us the provision of Jesus Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit, that shall strengthen and guide us from the darkness of this world into His Holy Light. To my understanding Matthew 5:11 would serve as an indicator of where we are at in this process.

God bless and keep you! If you or any of us are considered weird, fanatical, or even a hipster Wink realize it is only because others do not understand and I say Glory be to God!

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »

My fiancee (we both converted before having met each other) and I have talked about this. We possibly over-value uniqueness and, when we are honest, enjoy our reputation as "eccentrics". Orthodoxy, with it's exotic origins and unusual practices, could easily be just another part of our overall habit of being attracted to the obscure.

We both came to a way to combat this:

1) She enjoys the exotic primarily as sort of a rebellion against her parents (who are devout Evangelicals). In the case of Orthodoxy she thus postponed Chrismation until her parents were fine with it. Her catechumenate lasted 3 years because of that, but it definitely made it obvious, to herself and to them, that she was not doing this just to rebel.

2) I am naturally much more impulsive and philosophical. I figured God gave me the attraction to exotic stuff as part of being able to delight in my religion. I also struggle to practice sometimes I have yet to follow a prayer rule, even though that prayer rule is just "Say Evening Prayer every night." Morning prayer isn't even on the table yet. I'm not at every service, and I don't follow the strict fasts, or get concerned when I can't fast when visiting relatives. I always figured if I were just doing it for the exotic aspects I'd be more "in your face" with it. My catechumenate was only six months. I also hated leaving my old church. At the time of my conversion I thought I'd never be happy as an Orthodox, I just had to do it because papal infallability was proven wrong.

Ultimately it's all up to you. Even if God has given you a love for the exotic, and that what attracted you to Orthodoxy, that doesn't mean that's all there is to it. A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down. Thank God for having given you something that attracts you so readily to what you are intellectually believing to be The Truth, and if you're still willing to adopt practices and disciplines that you really don't want to, then, IMO, it's deeper than an appreciation for Slavonic.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:19 AM »

I think that a good way to evaluate your "religious hipster level" is to put yourself in a hypothetical situation of a classmate asking you about your faith, and see how you would respond to them. Embarrassingly enough, a year ago I would have been the first example verbatim. My belief in Orthodoxy was not the result of religious hipsterism/elitism, but how I expressed it to others definitely was.

Hipster:
Classmate: So what religion are you?
Self: I'm Orthodox [Christian].
Classmate: So you're Christian? I don't like Christianity.
Self: Oh I am, but I'm not at all like those Western Christians you've been exposed to.

Non-Hipster:
Classmate: So what religion are you?
Self: I'm Orthodox [Christian].
Classmate: So you're Christian? I don't like Christianity.
Self: Yes, I'm Christian. Why don't like you like Christianity?

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »

After ten years, my parents still think I'm Jewish.

Blatantly not keeping kosher doesn't help, because "some Jewish people eat pork, you know".   Roll Eyes

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

My friends could not care less. My Wife is on the fence whether to convert. My other family believes Im joining a group that are not Christian  Roll Eyes

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »

Blatantly not keeping kosher doesn't help, because "some Jewish people eat pork, you know".   Roll Eyes

Have you told them you believe Jesus is God/Messiah? I'm just curious as to how they'd still justify your Jewishness in light of that.  Tongue

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »

Have you told them you believe Jesus is God/Messiah? I'm just curious as to how they'd still justify your Jewishness in light of that.  Tongue

"Some Jewish people believe in Jesus, you know."

(Thanks a lot, Jews for Jesus.)

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pure class, this post.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

"Some Jewish people believe in Jesus, you know."

(Thanks a lot, Jews for Jesus.)

You should inform them, then, that they too are Jews, since evidently anyone can be a Jew these days.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »

My friends could not care less. My Wife is on the fence whether to convert. My other family believes Im joining a group that are not Christian  Roll Eyes

PP

i know the feeling, buddy...
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »

You should inform them, then, that they too are Jews, since evidently anyone can be a Jew these days.

It's all the rage; everybody's doing it!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 06:50:02 AM »

They don't think I'm weird, they just don't particularly care.

Thank you.
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »

I struggled at first, there is a lot biased attitude with the priests regarding none Greek people, they tend to ignore you. but since I have been seen talking with the Archbishop of Athens they have changed slightly, more open.

Most of my friends now I was a devout Catholic, they just think this is the next step up the ladder.

I have had a lot of encouragement from lots of people once they found I was converting, they seem more ready to accept me as a local.

The big test will be when I eventually move back to the UK, most people there now me a Catholic and now nothing about orthodoxy, so time will tell.

My family don't bother, My wife who is Catholic thought I was selling out, so I have left the Divine liturgy in Greek / English open and the Prayer books. she is coming round, as I think she has been reading them.

I talk about my conversion to her, and most people, but do it σιγα σιγα, maybe one day she will convert also.

it is the beginning of a new life and spiritual journey, be proud of your faith and what you have done to come this far.

Jesus told us to pick up our crosses and follow him, so don't be worried about those that turn there backs on you, you are part of a new spiritual family.

God bless us all on our Journey.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: