OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 10:03:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converts: Do people think you're weird?  (Read 3419 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: December 30, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »

How do people react when they find out you converted to a relatively obscure religion like Orthodoxy? Are you seen as some kind of weird religious fanatic?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »

People think that I am weird, but it has nothing to do with me being a convert.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »

I can't recall any negative comments over the years. A Protestant friend wanted to know if I was still "digging into God's word" or something along those lines. My grandmother confusedly thought that Eastern Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic were the same. But I guess that's not about being considered weird or strange. The only time I can think of was when my mom and stepfather and I were at my apartment and a priest was saying some prayers, and when he offered the cross for veneration my mom and step father were a bit confused and seemed uncomfortable with the idea. The didn't make any negative comments, and haven't since then, though I've never asked them what they thought of it either.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »

Yes, in my case.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »

I'm with Punch  ... most just consider it the 'norm' for me, since I usually never apply to the common thought of things, anyway.  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:37:18 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »

I don't know if "weird" is the word I would use.  Some people think it is curious and/or wrong. 
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »

Outside of this forum, I don't think very many people know that I am a convert.  The only people in RL that actually know I am a convert are those that were around when I did convert.  I dislike the label of 'convert'.  The only people that ever ask me if I am a convert are converts and it makes me really uncomfortable.  IMO, it is an unnecessary label that can cause division and stunted spiritual development.  That said, those that were around when I did convert didn't have much to say about it.  Some people were curious about it and asked a lot of questions.  My parents found out about a month before I was baptized and didn't have much time to think about it.  They struggled with it, not because they were opposed to it, but because they didn't understand it.  My parents are OK with it now.  They occasionally even attend Church with me.  My mother actually holds me accountable.  She usually calls me on Saturdays and reminds me that going to Vigil is important.  She also frequently asks when my last Confession was and chastises me if she feels it has been too long.  I don't think people think I am weird because I don't talk about it much and when I do, I kind of stick to the basics and avoid those exotic Orthodox distinctives. I think most people just think I am some form of Roman Catholic.  

Edit: I think people think I am weird not necessarily because I am Orthodox, but because I am a practicing Christian.  In my line of work, observant Christians are especially rare and more often than not viewed with suspicion. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:03:38 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 06:00:49 PM »

yes. it's not always easy, but God makes me more humble and accepting of others, so i welcome the challenge of always having to defend my faith.
makes me very glad i took 2 years to make the decision; by then i had an answer to most of the objections, and those around me had to accept that i had been 'going to that church' for a while but had not grown horns or been stuck by lightning from heaven for my ' orthodox heresies'
 Wink

how about u , william?
i think that people are easy on you at this stage, it won't be so bad for you if/when you become orthodox, so don't be too worried about it.
God will give u the resources to deal with whatever opposition you face.
i haven't been beaten, starved or left out in the cold, so i suffer nothing compared to many Christians throughout the world who suffer for their faith.
may God give us the strength and the honour to take part in Jesus' sufferings as much as we are able.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »

that's interesting about yr mum, ionnis, what are her beliefs?
i also avoid the term convert, unless you want to say i converted from Christianity to Christianity.
i did convert from athiesm as a small child. that had a profound effect on my life (i was never alone since as God helped me in many ways through the troubles of my school life). when i became orthodox, then i found the depths that i had been looking for all my life.

going to church had almost always left me wanting more and feeling we had finished too early (even the 2 hour charismatic services with the 50 minute sermons!), then i realised that i was missing the proper repentance, worship of God, reverence and the proper use of the sacraments.
it's like i found a well full of water when i converted to Christianity, then when i took my first orthodox communion, it was like standing under a never ending water fall.

the other thing that orthodoxy has is the right teaching that it will be very hard and the tools to keep up a good spiritual life (the theology, prayer books, regular repentance and confession, and especially the sacrements.
so may God guide you and give you the courage you need to keep searching for the depths you need.
 Smiley
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »

I'm with Punch  ... most just consider it the 'norm' for me, since I usually never apply to the common thought of things, anyway.  

This is me as well. 
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »

Yeah, people thought I was weird long before I ever started looking into Orthodoxy.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »

How do people react when they find out you converted to a relatively obscure religion like Orthodoxy? Are you seen as some kind of weird religious fanatic?

Good question, you know, I really don't know? You would have to ask them. They probably saw it coming for they already knew I was into church history for like years and years before I became Orthodox and so they probably wasn't surprised. But you would have to ask them, for I really don't know.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:21:12 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »

EDIT--Edited because another post was edited  Grin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:22:38 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »

Technically I'm not a convert, but am in the process of converting.  People have always thought I'm weird, but no one's thought I was a religious fanatic since the sixth or seventh grades, when I was still Evangelical (I had a habit of making Mormon missionaries look like quitters).  I suppose if I were more pious, and showed my Orthodoxy a little more, many people in today's world would think I was a religious fanatic because - increasingly - people abhor traditional morals and any sort of spirituality or religion that isn't all about themselves.  

I don't think that modern day America considering someone a religious fanatic is necessarily a bad thing.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »

What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus freak?
What will people do when they find that it's true?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:24:25 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 09:25:42 PM »

i've gotten mostly neutral and positive reactions.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »

EDIT--Edited because another post was edited  Grin

It's a bad habit I have due to shooting from the hip. I tend to make alot of mistakes. Another habit is my double or triple spacing and use of orange and red colors.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:32:00 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »

I believe that only people that found my conversion weird were my Pentecostal parents. Other people probably deem Orthodoxy a lot more normal than Pentecostalism. Tongue

KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »

Well if someone can teach me the Jesus prayer in Arabic or some other exotic language (exotic here in the west), I have a prayer rope. If some one can teach me that along with "Lord Have Mercy" which I can do 40 times in Byzantine style along with some prostrations, Im sure some people would think that would be quite strange.

Then after Im done I can yell "what are you looking at? Havent you seen true Christianity you bible thumping morons?" in an Indian (not Native American) accent.

That would be sublime...

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 12:25:05 AM »

I love D.C. Talk; I hope they eventually come out of hiatus.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 01:05:41 AM »

I think they've passed "hiatus" by this point. Anything now would be a "reunion".

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 03:55:58 AM »

I think they've passed "hiatus" by this point. Anything now would be a "reunion".

Technically they're still on hiatus, and they've gotten together and recorded a couple of tracks here and there, including one on a Kevin Max album.

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 03:56:38 AM »

That line makes me like you as a person.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »

In my case, generally people thought I’d been orthodox before I’ve converted, because I had been attending the orthodox services frequently, so only the closest friends and family know I’m a convert. However, I had some strange situations e.g. when I was setting the icon corner in my room, I was asked if I was organizing a chapel; one friend inquired “So, do you orthodox people believe in God?” or “Do you have Communion?”. Then I had to explain the Orthodox Church is the ancient one, which didn't cahnge antyhign in belief. There are also claims that all orthodox are Russians (or that others orthodox like Serbs have to listen to the Russian Patriarch – like the roman-catholic pope, because for them it’s unusual there is no a head of Church, of course they mean a man, not Christ). Another situation took place in the second week of Holy Pascha – we’re eating out and I asked a meal with meat so one of my friend was shocked “Dominika! What happened? You’re eating meat!” (not all of my friends can imagine that during fast to not eat meat at all). I think many people always considered me as a weird person and for some of theme the orthodoxy maybe is one of the proofs.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 08:47:12 AM »

Btw, what's the status of Orthodoxy in Poland? Are there any traditionally Orthodox minorities and what non-Orthodox people think of it?

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »

yes, there are traditionally Orthodox minorities. Even before the Second World War there was about 5 millions orthodox people! Of course , we should remember that the borders were diffrent. The biggest community of orthodox is in region called Podlasie. Earlier practically all of the inhabitants of it were orthodox, but there were some movementes and attacks that quiet a lot of people converted to roman catholicism. The last such big action took place just after the second world war. We have also quiet a lot of Lemkos, who sometiems are called in Poland "orthodox Gorals" (Gorals are specific Polish ethnic, the ethnic belonging of Lemkos I would say it's qutie complicated). Many members of Polish Orthodox Church are pure Polish, some of them of Belarus or Ukrainian origin, some of them (from Podlasie) call themself "Podlashuks". In earlier times some the greats families of Polish aristocracy were Orthodox,, so Orthodoxy in Poland always have been, but because of historical and political turbulences, now, after roman-catholics, we're the second biggest religious community in Poland. In Podlasie and Sough Poland for non-Orthodox it's normal that they have Orthodox neighbours, orthodox chapels and crosses close to the roads etc. But in central and west Poland people  often don't see the diffrence between Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic and don't know that in Poland there is the Autocephalus Polish Orthodox Church, which doesn't belong to Russian Patriarchate. Another phenomenon is that people who had orthodox ancestors, don't admit to it. However, thanks to God, more and more catholics in regions traditionally non-orthodox, convert to Orthodoxy. Ven the Polish media informs a little more e.g about the orthodox feasts and three tiems in year in Public TV there are tranmissions from Orthodox services: On Pascha, Christmas (old calendar) and the Divine Liturgy Transfiguarion of our Lord that is celebrated on the Holy Mountain Grabarka (it also becomes popular among some catholics to pilgrim to the Grabarka)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:25:27 AM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »

Not sure if others think that I am weird since no one has expressed it to me, but I do get an occasional look that could be interpreted as that.  Hopefully my outward actions do get their interest. Like those neighbors that see me leave my house every Sunday morning. Or when I leave the house for weekday or Saturday services. And those who see the icons and Cross nearby the front door. Maybe those who see me crossing myself in public places. (I chuckled when a waitress said that we "Good Catholics" after seeing us cross ourselves before eating.) Sometimes when folks notice that my actions are different than the "norm", it provides an opportunity to invite them to Church. Like another poster, my father is an evangelical, and he comes across as weirder than I ever could. (I am in no way implying that all evangelicals are weird, just my father.) My girlfriend was born into Orthodoxy, so she is happy that I joined the Church, and hopefully she doesn't think that I am weird.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »

I haven't really gotten any comments from people thinking I'm weird. For most of them Orthodoxy is totally off their radar so they're more curious than anything.

Usually I'll get a handful of comments like:

"Orthodox-- are you Jewish?"
"So, you're like... a Catholic, right?"
"I've never heard of the Orthodox Church."
"Russian Orthodox? You're not a Russian!"
"So, you've gone over to the dark side."- From a good Catholic friend of mine.  Cheesy

There is a cafe in the building I work in and one of the workers finally noticed I hadn't ate meat or dairy since the Nativity fast began and he asked me: "Are you a vegetarian now?" He was genuinely interested in Orthodoxy and asked if I was born into the Church or came into by myself, and wanted to know about the fasting and feast days, etc. That's my favorite response to get.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Tony

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »

One guy I work with thinks I'm a religious fanatic because I sometimes post quotes from the Fathers on my facebook account.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »

I was a nutbag before coming Orthodox. Converting was just the icing on the cake. I also get the "Are you Jewish?!" thing a lot. My Sicilian facial features don't assuage those assumptions. Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »

Usually I'll get a handful of comments like:

"Orthodox-- are you Jewish?"
"So, you're like... a Catholic, right?"
"I've never heard of the Orthodox Church."
"Russian Orthodox? You're not a Russian!"
"So, you've gone over to the dark side."- From a good Catholic friend of mine.  Cheesy

Cheesy Hahaha.  I love these. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Stepan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »

Most just insider weirdness par for the course for me.   laugh
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:00:17 PM by Stepan » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »

At the risk of repeating other posters' comments about preOrthodox weirdness, let's put it like this- before becoming Orthodox I had a 12" mohawk and often wore bondage pants. If anything I've become more normal.

Though I do have an uncle who believes me to still be weird because I wear a fedora, am fairly libertarian (my family is strict Republican), and practice Orthodoxy, he dresses like its still the 80s, shaves his body hairless, and gets manicures. Weirdness is relative(s).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:18:21 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »

I'm only an "inquirer" but I get mostly neutral reactions from close friends when I tell them about my interest in Orthodoxy. Haven't told my family yet. I'm guessing most of them will be confused more than anything, considering they're very religiously liberal.
Mivac

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »

I was seen weird before, but there have been negative remarks by a few.  Apparently, it is said by my friends that if I start dressing as an Eastern Monk they are going to do an intervention. 
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 01:31:18 AM »

You know, for all you people who have experienced many instances of people assuming you were becoming a Jews, I have a funny story to tell.

Of all the people who I've mentioned my becoming Orthodox to, probably three have had any notion in their minds of what it was.  Of them, one was a cousin of mine, who is only 12.  Anyways, he actually asked me if it was Eastern Orthodoxy that I was joining.  It took me a second to respond because I'd never expected that he would have thought of the right thing, right away.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2012, 01:46:05 AM »

bondage pants

LOL
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »

Weird? I certainly hope so! After becoming Orthodox, changing from reluctantly attending our former church, to going every chance I get...from barely remembering to pray at meals and bedtime, to striving to pray constantly...from fumbling with interpreting scripture on my own to speaking boldly from what I've learned from those within the Church...just to name a few things! Yeah they think I'm "weird" and I'm proud to say it. Smiley

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »

Well the Bible does call Christians "a peculiar people" (Tit. 2:14; 1 Pet. 2:9)  Wink  Tongue

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »

Same here.   Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

Most people here where I live hardly ever heard what the Orthodox Church is, so some think that it is weird...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »

Most folks I meet, when they find out I'm Orthodox, don't say anything. They don't seem to care. I get very few people asking me questions, arguing or even making comments. I live my life and they live theirs. That's all. These are mostly folks I meet at work and such, since I'm not really involved in any other "religious" groups outside of regular parish life, so most people I interact with aren't even practicing any faith or are just as quiet about it as I am.

However, people I knew before I converted have had reactions, though they're mostly positive. My closest friends and I talk relatively frequently about religion (we did before I converted and we're all some form of Christian) and they really like Orthodoxy, though they're still asking questions and testing waters.

My family doesn't really care, since they're only culturally Christian and don't practice themselves. The only religious relative I have is an uncle who is a Protestant minister. He's unsure about what he thinks, though he likes a lot about Orthodoxy he's weary of what he calls the "trappings" (icons, vestments, incense, liturgy, etc.) since he comes from a very low-church charismatic background where anti-Catholicism runs deep. I think he's gaining an appreciation though, and we also talk religion just about every time we see each other. I also had a Protestant girlfriend around the time I converted and she was leery of it. Her mother was particularly critical due to an anti-Catholic bias. We broke up before I converted, and there was more to it than my conversion. I also hooked back up with an old youth minister of mine from high school (Southern Baptist) who stopped talking to me as soon as he heard I was converting. I haven't heard from him since.

So, reactions vary. On the whole though, my religion doesn't affect how people perceive me on a daily basis. I'm just a guy, living my life and being me...and no one seems to really give it any deep thought.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »

Most folks I meet, when they find out I'm Orthodox, don't say anything. They don't seem to care.
This, mostly.

Or they say, "Oh, like Catholic?"

Or they say, "Ok, I can see you doing that."

When enrolled at a Baptist school I had a few people ask me some general questions about the difference between Byzantine and Coptic Christianity, but mostly they just shrugged. My family definitely falls into the I-can-see-how-that-fits-you-but-it's-not-my-thing-so-let's-not-talk-about-it-except-when-you're-having-a-child-baptized camp.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »

Yeah, people thought I was weird long before I ever started looking into Orthodoxy.

Same here. Old friends just tend to roll their eyes and sigh, "There she goes again."

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 01:03:33 PM »

No, but my family that do know are burning with questions, but wont ask.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »

Most people thought I was weird before I became Orthodox.

I think Orthodoxy has helped me become less weird.

Mathe 24:36
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »

Hey Will.

I am seen as 'weird' however, most of the time it is not very negative. It is more in a curious way. For example, if I tell somebody about my conversion they are usually just so curious that they ask millions of questions about Orthodoxy and what it is and what led to my conversion etc. However, after finding out some of the answers many of them start to think I'm heretical or bad because of their common Protestant doubts to Orthodoxy. This also includes my own family, who, is not really too happy about my conversion but is trying to tolerate it. As for other adults in my life, some are pretty tolerant and some are not. I find that the older adults and Protestants are more tolerant and some have even encouraged my conversion. While the younger adults like the new, eager 24 year old Protestant pastors who just got their credentials are really annoying and bigoted at times. I also find I have more trouble with men than women. For example, some of the nicest, most tolerant and insightful people I know are old Baptist women, while some of the most arrogant, intolerant and annoying are young, trigger-happy Baptist men.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »

My family who are Catholic just think it is Catholicism without a Pope. So they don't really care. My friends knowing that I am into traditional religion and liturgy think its normal for me.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »

Whatever I do, people always find me awesome.

Sorry.

It's help to shake that whole weird thing by acting like a proper nominal Orthodox.

It's the last step of the Ladder of Divine Ascent that got lost in copying along the way and only kept in memory in certain remote villages in Romania.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2012, 03:50:52 AM »

Whatever I do, people always find me awesome.

Sorry.

It's help to shake that whole weird thing by acting like a proper nominal Orthodox.

It's the last step of the Ladder of Divine Ascent that got lost in copying along the way and only kept in memory in certain remote villages in Romania.

augustin17 probably knows where they are and is unimpressed.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

Okay, I'll just come out and say it:

I ask because I'm deathly afraid of being a religious hipster. I want to be religious but I don't want to be weirdly religious. I sincerely believe that Orthodoxy is the truth, but how do I know I'm not just another manifestation of the "exotic religion" factor which has made so many of my friends "convert" to Islam, Buddhism or atheism?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »

I think to counter any tendency to chase after the "exotic" aspect of Orthodoxy, you take a year or even more before converting, using the time to study and learn with your priest.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »

I think to counter any tendency to chase after the "exotic" aspect of Orthodoxy, you take a year or even more before converting, using the time to study and learn with your priest.

yes, it takes a while before "the exotic" wears off, and you are simply left with "the real".
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »

How much effort did they have to put forth to become Muslim, Buddhist, or atheist?  How much effort have you had to put forth to become Orthodox?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »

I'm beginning to think it was good for me to have to spend two years as a member of the parish before anything could move forward on conversion. It got me involved in the day to day life of the parish. Now I know more (so to speak) than I would if I had rushed it. It hasn't been easy, but I have a feeling it would have been worse had I pestered them for conversion early on.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:47 AM »

Well, outside of the community at the church I've visited, you guys, my parents, and a couple others, most don't really know I'm inquiring into Orthodoxy. For the most part, I've described myself as "on a spiritual journey" to most people lately, since I'm friends with many devout Protestants, Catholics, and atheists & agnostics, and I don't really want to bring faith/religion into the discussion. The non-Orthodox people who do know generally treat it as something they'd expect from me, what with all my quirks. My parents have remained non-judgmental at worst and supporting the idea of me finding things out on my own at best--something I'm truly thankful for. They probably see Orthodoxy as some relatively exotic religion that's sort of like Catholicism without a Pope or something.

But I'm going to continue taking my time in my inquiry.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:06:13 AM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »

I ask because I'm deathly afraid of being a religious hipster. I want to be religious but I don't want to be weirdly religious. I sincerely believe that Orthodoxy is the truth, but how do I know I'm not just another manifestation of the "exotic religion" factor which has made so many of my friends "convert" to Islam, Buddhism or atheism?

Weird
adjective
1. Belonging to; involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny. 
2. fantastic; bizarre; strange or unusual
3. Archaic . concerned with or controlling fate or destiny.
Holy
adjective
1. specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority.
2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.
5. entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.

I obviously cannot comment specifically on the Orthodox aspect William, but by basic definition ‘weird’ and ‘Holy’ go hand in hand I think. Of this world is what the world considers normal. Belonging to God is outside of that normality that many will indeed consider ‘weird’. For me, the question becomes who do I belong to and who do I serve? It would be my personal hope, prayer, and desire to be considered ‘weird’ too! Will we be considered religious fanatics? Perhaps. Am I concerned with what man thinks of me or what my Lord God thinks of me? Ya know?

Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to hear what you would consider a Protestant make the claim that Orthodoxy is fundamental Truth. While there are many things I don't understand, thus may not agree with, I believe with all my heart Orthodoxy contains the Truth of our Lord Jesus Christ. How can you know you are not entering some form or manifestation of an ‘exotic religion’? I would begin with scripture of course to verify my path.

Matthew 5:10-12
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
    For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Speaking for only for myself cleavage and separation is a difficult task of my spirituality. May our Father grant us the provision of Jesus Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit, that shall strengthen and guide us from the darkness of this world into His Holy Light. To my understanding Matthew 5:11 would serve as an indicator of where we are at in this process.

God bless and keep you! If you or any of us are considered weird, fanatical, or even a hipster Wink realize it is only because others do not understand and I say Glory be to God!

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »

My fiancee (we both converted before having met each other) and I have talked about this. We possibly over-value uniqueness and, when we are honest, enjoy our reputation as "eccentrics". Orthodoxy, with it's exotic origins and unusual practices, could easily be just another part of our overall habit of being attracted to the obscure.

We both came to a way to combat this:

1) She enjoys the exotic primarily as sort of a rebellion against her parents (who are devout Evangelicals). In the case of Orthodoxy she thus postponed Chrismation until her parents were fine with it. Her catechumenate lasted 3 years because of that, but it definitely made it obvious, to herself and to them, that she was not doing this just to rebel.

2) I am naturally much more impulsive and philosophical. I figured God gave me the attraction to exotic stuff as part of being able to delight in my religion. I also struggle to practice sometimes I have yet to follow a prayer rule, even though that prayer rule is just "Say Evening Prayer every night." Morning prayer isn't even on the table yet. I'm not at every service, and I don't follow the strict fasts, or get concerned when I can't fast when visiting relatives. I always figured if I were just doing it for the exotic aspects I'd be more "in your face" with it. My catechumenate was only six months. I also hated leaving my old church. At the time of my conversion I thought I'd never be happy as an Orthodox, I just had to do it because papal infallability was proven wrong.

Ultimately it's all up to you. Even if God has given you a love for the exotic, and that what attracted you to Orthodoxy, that doesn't mean that's all there is to it. A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down. Thank God for having given you something that attracts you so readily to what you are intellectually believing to be The Truth, and if you're still willing to adopt practices and disciplines that you really don't want to, then, IMO, it's deeper than an appreciation for Slavonic.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:19 AM »

I think that a good way to evaluate your "religious hipster level" is to put yourself in a hypothetical situation of a classmate asking you about your faith, and see how you would respond to them. Embarrassingly enough, a year ago I would have been the first example verbatim. My belief in Orthodoxy was not the result of religious hipsterism/elitism, but how I expressed it to others definitely was.

Hipster:
Classmate: So what religion are you?
Self: I'm Orthodox [Christian].
Classmate: So you're Christian? I don't like Christianity.
Self: Oh I am, but I'm not at all like those Western Christians you've been exposed to.

Non-Hipster:
Classmate: So what religion are you?
Self: I'm Orthodox [Christian].
Classmate: So you're Christian? I don't like Christianity.
Self: Yes, I'm Christian. Why don't like you like Christianity?
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »

After ten years, my parents still think I'm Jewish.

Blatantly not keeping kosher doesn't help, because "some Jewish people eat pork, you know".   Roll Eyes

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

My friends could not care less. My Wife is on the fence whether to convert. My other family believes Im joining a group that are not Christian  Roll Eyes

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »

Blatantly not keeping kosher doesn't help, because "some Jewish people eat pork, you know".   Roll Eyes

Have you told them you believe Jesus is God/Messiah? I'm just curious as to how they'd still justify your Jewishness in light of that.  Tongue
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »

Have you told them you believe Jesus is God/Messiah? I'm just curious as to how they'd still justify your Jewishness in light of that.  Tongue

"Some Jewish people believe in Jesus, you know."

(Thanks a lot, Jews for Jesus.)

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pure class, this post.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

"Some Jewish people believe in Jesus, you know."

(Thanks a lot, Jews for Jesus.)

You should inform them, then, that they too are Jews, since evidently anyone can be a Jew these days.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »

My friends could not care less. My Wife is on the fence whether to convert. My other family believes Im joining a group that are not Christian  Roll Eyes

PP

i know the feeling, buddy...
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »

You should inform them, then, that they too are Jews, since evidently anyone can be a Jew these days.

It's all the rage; everybody's doing it!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 06:50:02 AM »

They don't think I'm weird, they just don't particularly care.

Thank you.
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »

I struggled at first, there is a lot biased attitude with the priests regarding none Greek people, they tend to ignore you. but since I have been seen talking with the Archbishop of Athens they have changed slightly, more open.

Most of my friends now I was a devout Catholic, they just think this is the next step up the ladder.

I have had a lot of encouragement from lots of people once they found I was converting, they seem more ready to accept me as a local.

The big test will be when I eventually move back to the UK, most people there now me a Catholic and now nothing about orthodoxy, so time will tell.

My family don't bother, My wife who is Catholic thought I was selling out, so I have left the Divine liturgy in Greek / English open and the Prayer books. she is coming round, as I think she has been reading them.

I talk about my conversion to her, and most people, but do it σιγα σιγα, maybe one day she will convert also.

it is the beginning of a new life and spiritual journey, be proud of your faith and what you have done to come this far.

Jesus told us to pick up our crosses and follow him, so don't be worried about those that turn there backs on you, you are part of a new spiritual family.

God bless us all on our Journey.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: