OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:02:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Orthodox Questions (Concerning the Desert Fathers)  (Read 865 times) Average Rating: 0
ChuckNoland

OC.net

« on: September 09, 2004, 08:53:33 PM »

Im running into a lot of things I dont understand and if I had a local priest around here to ask I would ask him but since I dont I am asking here.

I have been advised to read the Desert Fathers and some of the stories make a lot of sense but in other tales I think I am misunderstanding what is being said...for instance, there are stories of Monks who were scared to be too attached to worldly posessions and would "allow the brothers to freely take things" and "wouldnt concern themselves if they had been replaced or not".

Im really having problems thinking that this is the right way to live, to me this sounds like an over-exaggeration of giving to all those that ask like Jesus said.

Why would I let somebody take an orthodox book I was reading before I was done with it?? The whole point of having the book is so that I can learn about the Othodoxy.

Or why would I allow someone to steal one of my work tools?? What if the next day I couldnt perform my job properly because I was lacking the proper equipment?? I would then be violating the commandment to love my neighbor because I would be ripping my neighbor off in essence and not able to perform the work properly to whoever was paying me, etc.,etc.,

So what exactly is going on in these stories?? This is really confusing me, maybe because I am such a beginnner, but nevertheless, it is bothering me because I start to feel guilty about not wanting my stuff stolen and other things...then at the same time I feel silly for thinking those thoughts, something inside isnt connecting and its really bugging me. I want to learn how to love my neighbor and to love God.

Thanks in advance.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 09:53:11 AM »

I think, as you said in the beginning of your post, those stories are so "extreme" in order to show how "extremely" unattached to possessions we should be.  I don't think it implies that we should just give anything and everything to anyone, whether they ask for it or not.  Things we need to serve others are not really for ourselves, for example, so we're not at liberty to be irresponsible with them.  What we can do for others we should do...that could mean letting them have certain things for a time or permanently, or it could mean denying it to them if it is for a greater good.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 09:54:57 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: