OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 04:10:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 77-Year-Long Marriage Ends in Divorce  (Read 771 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: December 29, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »

Italian man to divorce wife of 77 years over 1940s affair

99-year-old Italian man and his wife of 77 years are to become the world's oldest couple to divorce after his 96-year-old wife had an affair 70 years ago.

The husband, identified by lawyers in the case as Antonio C, found out about the adultery when he was looking through an old chest of just before Christmas.

He immediately asked his wife, who is identified as Rosa C, for a divorce as he was so upset over the betrayal...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »

I don't think you have enough stars, Asteriktos.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »

If I wanted someone to keep a secret for a long time I know who to go to.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »

They're not going to ask for an annulment?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

Good for him might of took all these years to find out but at least he won't have to die married to that. The proof will always come to the light  laugh
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

Good for him might of took all these years to find out but at least he won't have to die married to that. The proof will always come to the light  laugh

laugh laugh laugh

on a serious note:  betrayal hurts even if it happend those many years ago. it makes you question everything in your life, imagine how he must feel findingout that he was being cheated on all those years ago by the woman he trusts and loves. how much disoriented he will feel right now. Hope he forgives her, and find the joy of love and peace in his life once more.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:25:09 PM by Hiwot » Logged

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »

I thought a lot about this one.  What would I do?  Given the circumstances, I would do the same.  It is one thing if the wife would have come to him at some time in the past, in tears, confessing the whole thing because she could not live with the guilt.  Perhaps that would almost demand forgiveness.  It would also mitigate the breach of Trust.  If she is willing to confess regardless of the consequences, there is a spark of concience there, and I think that I could find it in my heart to trust her again.  However, if I am the one who discovered the affair (particularly if she had kept the evidence for so long), there would be no mercy. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »

are you serious? an annulment?  It took someone I know 5 years to get hers (she just got it).  Come on, no bureaucracy works that fast, even if it uses the name Jesus.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:56:40 AM »

are you serious? an annulment?

Pretty sure he was mocking annulment.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »

are you serious? an annulment?  It took someone I know 5 years to get hers (she just got it).  Come on, no bureaucracy works that fast, even if it uses the name Jesus.

No, I wasn't serious.  Attempt at humour.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: divorce adultery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: