OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:22:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typing  (Read 964 times)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: December 29, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »

Hey all. I started my first Koine Greek lesson yesterday (big blue book from Mounce) and I was wondering how one goes about typing the language. I was wanting to practice my letters but finding a key for Phi, I doubt will be easy  laugh. Advice?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
thefizzle656

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:30:45 AM »

Actually is it not very hard to type in Greek.  What kind of computer do you have?  It if is a Mac then you can easily enable Polytonic Greek and open up the keyboard viewer to see how it is mapped.  Φ φa is usually mapped to F.  If you are using a PC I am not sure as to what you should do.  I know that Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate have languages pre-installed on the system and can easily be turned on (At the moment I can't remember how to do it, you'll have to look it up).  But it you have Basic or Home Premium then you're out of luck, you will probably have to find a third party language pack that includes Polytonic (important, not to be confused with Modern) Greek. 
Clare G.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:57:51 AM »

SPIonic is probably the easiest to find. It works even in an older word processor such as Lotus WordPro, which others I tried didn't.

I suggest starting here: http://www.monachos.net/content/component/content/article/406
and then print out the keyboard map here: www.drshirley.org/fonts/SPIonic.html using the 'best' setting on your printer (or enlarging it) so that the accents show up clearly.
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »

In Windows, you can just add it to the keyboard type. In the Control Panel, you just find the regional settings and add Greek and then on the taskbar, they'll be a button there to change it. As for learning it...I did it by trial and error. Another way would be to bring up the properties while you're in the settings and look at how they're mapped. Short of buying a Greek keyboard, these are the only two options I can think of.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »

Using Mounce you will need to install Polytonic Greek. As to font, Palatino Linotype is sufficient for UTF-8 Unicode support and full diacritics.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »

I appreciate everyone's help. I have a mac and pc. I'll go ahead and see what works best Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »

I appreciate everyone's help. I have a mac and pc. I'll go ahead and see what works best Smiley

PP
Would this help?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Hey all. I started my first Koine Greek lesson yesterday (big blue book from Mounce) and I was wondering how one goes about typing the language. I was wanting to practice my letters but finding a key for Phi, I doubt will be easy  laugh. Advice?

PP

Learn to read and write by hand before you jump the gun into computing. It took thousands of years for language to develop, then thousands for writing, and then thousands for computing, so perhaps you are getting just a bit ahead of yourself Smiley

Of course, this also might help advance things a bit Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:51:00 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
thefizzle656

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »

PP

I use a Mac when typing in Greek and find that it very easy.  Setting it up is easy.  System Preferences --> Languages and Text --> "Input Sources" tab -- then scroll down to Greek Polytonic and check the box next to it for on.  Make sure that the Keyboard and Character Viewer box at the top is checked as well.  Then, at the top of the screen near the date and time you'll notice a flag (US if you are using the US English keyboard).  Click on it and from there you select the Greek flag to change the language.  Changing back is as easy as selecting the US flag again.  To see the keyboard just click on Keyboard viewer from the same menu with the flag and a little window pops up showing the Greek keyboard.  It is great because it is "active" so to speak, changing when you hold down Shift, Fn, etc.  I've tried typing in Greek in Windows and hated it.
thefizzle656

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Learn to read and write by hand before you jump the gun into computing. It took thousands of years for language to develop, then thousands for writing, and then thousands for computing, so perhaps you are getting just a bit ahead of yourself Smiley

Of course, this also might help advance things a bit Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I second that.  I found it much easier to type after already knowing how to write by hand.  In my experience learning to write the words by hand also greatly helped in learning which words have which accents, breathing marks, etc which is incredibly important to know.
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »

Check amazon for "greek alphabet stickers" several should come up.   

You will still have to enable the Greek language as others have already explained

Mathe 24:36
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: