OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:21:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing the New New Calendar!!!  (Read 653 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: December 28, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »

Here's one way to end the Old vs. New Calendar debate: Introduce yet a 3rd!  laugh

"...a Johns Hopkins University astronomer wants to replace the Gregorian calendar, with its leap years and floating dates and 15th-century effluvia, with a sleek and standardized system for the world. According to Richard Conn Henry’s calendar, eight months would each have 30 days. Every third month would have 31 days. Every so often, to account for the leftover time, a whole extra week would be added. The upshot: Years would proceed with clockwork regularity, with no annual re-jiggering of schedules required."

Source: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/12/rational-calendar/
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:57:06 PM »

Another interesting follow-up article:

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=13940%3Cbr%20/%3E

"What will it take to produce regular dates and times throughout Russia and the rest of the world? Nothing but the will to do so. With regard to the regularization of times and dates, Russia has the most to gain, particularly when it comes to time."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:55 PM »

I don't want regularity, every day every year would be on the same day, nothing changes.  Sounds like scientific streamlining and efficiency that just doesn't apply to the disorganisation and excitement of life.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:19:25 PM »

Intriguing idea, especially to bridge the old-new calendar divide. I rather like the idea of observing Pascha precisely the Sunday after the full moon after the Vernal Equinox, and of having universal fixed dates for feasts that are based on God's natural law. Let Nativity fall on December 25th as close as possible to the Winter Solstice where it was fixed by the Church (BTW, solstice this year was December 22nd, three days off in the New Calendar and 16 days off in the New Calendar).

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Monk Cyprian

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:01:05 AM »

(BTW, solstice this year was December 22nd, three days off in the New Calendar and 16 days off in the OLD Calendar).
Fixed that for you.

I presume you're referring to the commonly held presumption that the northern hemisphere's winter solstice is supposed to fall on the 21st of December annually.  It's not actually that simple (see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice to start).

But, more to the point, how does the difference between 21 December and 22 December suddenly become three days?  Admittedly, I'm only doing the maths in my head, but, every which way I try to figure it out, I keep coming to one day.  22 - 21 = 1.  22 - 21 does not equal  3.  Even the Old Calendar calculation comes to only 14 days "out of sync", rather than 16.

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »

A new Calendar schism would rule. Seriously.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »

The reorganizing of the number of days in the months and the "leap year week" would be problematic for our commemorations. What I do like about this concept is that it does preserve the continuity of the seven day week, unlike other attempts I've seen to "modernize" the calendar.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »

(BTW, solstice this year was December 22nd, three days off in the New Calendar and 16 days off in the OLD Calendar).
Fixed that for you.

I presume you're referring to the commonly held presumption that the northern hemisphere's winter solstice is supposed to fall on the 21st of December annually.  It's not actually that simple (see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice to start).

But, more to the point, how does the difference between 21 December and 22 December suddenly become three days?  Admittedly, I'm only doing the maths in my head, but, every which way I try to figure it out, I keep coming to one day.  22 - 21 = 1.  22 - 21 does not equal  3.  Even the Old Calendar calculation comes to only 14 days "out of sync", rather than 16.
I think he's referring back to the reigns of Julius and Augustus Caesar, when the winter solstice fell on December 25 and the spring equinox fell on March 25.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:06:39 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Monk Cyprian

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »

Fixed that for you.

I presume you're referring to the commonly held presumption that the northern hemisphere's winter solstice is supposed to fall on the 21st of December annually.  It's not actually that simple (see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice to start).

But, more to the point, how does the difference between 21 December and 22 December suddenly become three days?  Admittedly, I'm only doing the maths in my head, but, every which way I try to figure it out, I keep coming to one day.  22 - 21 = 1.  22 - 21 does not equal  3.  Even the Old Calendar calculation comes to only 14 days "out of sync", rather than 16.
I think he's referring back to the reigns of Julius and Augustus Caesar, when the winter solstice fell on December 25 and the spring equinox fell on March 25.
Ooooh...  Okay.  I get it now.  Sorry!

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:37:54 AM »

Here's one way to end the Old vs. New Calendar debate: Introduce yet a 3rd!  laugh

"...a Johns Hopkins University astronomer wants to replace the Gregorian calendar, with its leap years and floating dates and 15th-century effluvia, with a sleek and standardized system for the world. According to Richard Conn Henry’s calendar, eight months would each have 30 days. Every third month would have 31 days. Every so often, to account for the leftover time, a whole extra week would be added. The upshot: Years would proceed with clockwork regularity, with no annual re-jiggering of schedules required."

It is called the Coptic Calendar (12 months 30 days, and 5 days in "the little month" at the end).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 03:47:15 AM »

Hmmm, sounds interesting. Gives me another reason to buy a calendar with puppies on it.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »

It is called the Coptic Calendar (12 months 30 days, and 5 days in "the little month" at the end).

Coptic, really? As in pre-Christian Egyptian? It seems similar to the pre-Julian to me. But then, what do I know...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: