OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctrine of Self Defense  (Read 540 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: December 27, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »

Police cite 'Castle Doctrine' in decision against charges in Somerset bow shooting

A Somerset County man who fatally shot his wife's lover outside his home with a compound bow will not face criminal charges related to the October incident, authorities said this morning...
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »

Over / under on which post when Punch responds affirmatively to the question: should we be allowed to own nuclear warheads as private citizens, if we are not Muslim?

//:=)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »

I must be missing something. How is premeditation not involved here?  Huh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »

I can't tell what state this is. . .I know when I lived in Florida, they passed a law that if some one if 'feels' threatened in any way on their own property, they have the right to kill the assailant. 

There was a lot of thought going both ways on how this could be used in a court of law to take liberties in a very unwise direction. 

But I don't know if this is Florida, or not. 

I'm not sure that adultery should or could count as a threat to life and home.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »

It just seems very strange, quietmorning. A revenge killing, not self-defence.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »

It just seems very strange, quietmorning. A revenge killing, not self-defence.

I agree.  But to be fair, it wasn't too long ago in history that shooting a perp of the marriage bed was not only condoned but celebrated.  We have a strange history when it comes to defining the law.  (Not meaning that I don't absolutely agree with you, Riddikulus).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:14:47 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »

Fwiw the state is Pennsylvania
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:36:04 PM »

Fwiw the state is Pennsylvania

Thanks, Asteriktos!  Wow. . .I don't know the Pennsylvania culture very well - one of the few states I've never spent any real time in. 

Very strange action, though.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »

Police cite 'Castle Doctrine' in decision against charges in Somerset bow shooting

A Somerset County man who fatally shot his wife's lover outside his home with a compound bow will not face criminal charges related to the October incident, authorities said this morning...

I cannot condone killing him with a bow.  A nuclear warhead on the other hand . . .

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:48 AM »

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions w/o reading the article...the lover threatened to kill the husband.  He came to the house armed with a club.  I find it fitting that he was himself killed by a medieval weapon, but that is entirely beside the point.  The fact that the goblin was sleeping with the man's wife is also entirely incidental.

As a side note, I am not going to comment on the morality of this case, but I make a habit of not shedding tears for adulterers who end up having to answer to the Lord a bit earlier than expected.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions w/o reading the article...the lover threatened to kill the husband.  He came to the house armed with a club.  I find it fitting that he was himself killed by a medieval weapon, but that is entirely beside the point.  The fact that the goblin was sleeping with the man's wife is also entirely incidental.

As a side note, I am not going to comment on the morality of this case, but I make a habit of not shedding tears for adulterers who end up having to answer to the Lord a bit earlier than expected.

Damn, I misread the thing. I thought the shooter had gone to the lover's house, and that he was the one making the threats.... duh  Embarrassed Should have had that cuppa sooner.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 12:57:41 AM »

^Just to add - thanks for pointing that out, vamrat!

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 01:56:06 AM »

Damn, I misread the thing. I thought the shooter had gone to the lover's house, and that he was the one making the threats.... duh  Embarrassed Should have had that cuppa sooner.

I'm not sure the coffee would have helped the fact that the article was poorly written (including a typo in the fifth paragraph).  I had to read it a couple times, I just thought that something sounded fishy.   Wink
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 02:21:20 AM »

I'm not sure the coffee would have helped the fact that the article was poorly written (including a typo in the fifth paragraph).  I had to read it a couple times, I just thought that something sounded fishy.   Wink

Not entirely down to my stupidity, then!  laugh

quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »

Wow, yeah, I read the article and COMPLETELY missed that.  Thank you, vamrat, for clarifying.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:23:18 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: