OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer, the book(s) or the movies?
The book(s)! - 10 (35.7%)
The movies! - 3 (10.7%)
I used to like the book(s) more, but now it's the movies! - 1 (3.6%)
I used to like the movies more, but now it's the book(s)! - 0 (0%)
I love them both equally! - 14 (50%)
I hate them both equally! - 0 (0%)
Why do rings need a lord? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 1272 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: December 24, 2011, 06:23:51 PM »

Which do you prefer, the book(s) or the movies?

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »

1st and 4th volumes were too boring.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 12:51:25 AM »

Books.  Movies completely left out Bombadil. Angry
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »

Books.  Movies completely left out Bombadil. Angry

I felt that Bombadil threw off the flow of the story when I read Fellowship.

Personally, watching the movies helped me appreciate the books more and vice versa. I love them both. The movies are amazing as are the books. I can't just choose one over the other.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 03:36:45 AM »

i got bogged down in the details of the books...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 06:35:09 AM »

I thought Peter Jackson took some liberties with Faramir that almost destroyed his noble character, and the fight between Gollum and Frodo inside Mount Doom was totally overdone. Other than that, I really liked the movies.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »

I love the books....disliked the movies.  No Tom Bombadil, the romance between Arwen and Aragorn was played up way too much, Arwen became a warrior princess  Roll Eyes, What happened to Faramir???, Aragorn & Arwen were totally miscast as a prittyboy and a girl who couldn't talk normal, Tommy Flanagan would have made a much better Aragorn....I could go on.  Not that I have strong opinions or anything  laugh 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »

I think it's unfair to make a comparision to the books and the movies.

The reason being is that you have to condense so much information and parse out the bits that cannot be included in a 3hr+ flick. To still make a movie that is enjoyable and rewarding, while remaining ever so faithful to the source material, Jackson must get the highest praise.

Another issue is the interpretation of LOTR. It's going to be slightly different for anyone reading the books, and I'm sure certain directors would have approached the LOTR films differently.

I'm glad we have the Jackson trilogy. It is the best we are ever going to get. If you want all the details, mythos, whatever just read the books and let your imagination do the work.

Personally I'll take the films over the books anyday. And normally I'm the kinda guy that likes the books better than the movies.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »

I love the books....disliked the movies.  No Tom Bombadil, the romance between Arwen and Aragorn was played up way too much, Arwen became a warrior princess  Roll Eyes, What happened to Faramir???, Aragorn & Arwen were totally miscast as a prittyboy and a girl who couldn't talk normal, Tommy Flanagan would have made a much better Aragorn....I could go on.  Not that I have strong opinions or anything  laugh 
+++
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »

The problem is not that Peter Jackson didn't include every detail in the book, but that he added details in the films which were not in the spirit of the books. The exclusion of Tom Bombadil is ultimately inconsequential, since he is not a crucial character in the books, but the portrayals of Arwen and Faramir, who are much more important, are cases in point.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »

I think it's fair, since the movies are supposedly based on the books. For those who love Tolkien's work, it's fair to talk about how faithful the movies are to what he envisioned in his trilogy and/or complain about some of the artistic liberties Jackson took with the story. To us, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is the Gold Standard by which Peter Jackson's big screen adaptation is to be judged. It's not like the movies are based on The Phantom Tollbooth or something like that.
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »

I like the books better. probably due to spending most of my summers at my aunts lake/hunting cabin growing up No TV, radio was iffy, but oh my, the books we had the choice of reading there! One of my favs to re-read during the summer! 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »

The problem is not that Peter Jackson didn't include every detail in the book, but that he added details in the films which were not in the spirit of the books.

Such as...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »

It's been too long since I read the books to be able to accurately remember things like major character changes, but I'll say that I did find the audio commentaries helpful in understanding why certain things would have worked in print but wouldn't have worked in audio/video.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »

The problem is not that Peter Jackson didn't include every detail in the book, but that he added details in the films which were not in the spirit of the books.

Such as...

I gave the examples of Arwen and Faramir above.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 03:25:07 PM by Jonathan Gress » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 02:34:41 AM »

Such as...
I think I covered a few.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »

I love the movies, but I wanted to see a barrow-wight and old Tom WITHOUT logging into my Lord of the Rings Online account Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »

I think it's fair, since the movies are supposedly based on the books. For those who love Tolkien's work, it's fair to talk about how faithful the movies are to what he envisioned in his trilogy and/or complain about some of the artistic liberties Jackson took with the story. To us, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is the Gold Standard by which Peter Jackson's big screen adaptation is to be judged. It's not like the movies are based on The Phantom Tollbooth or something like that.

And yet the Professor himself was quite aware and okay with filmmakers changing details as long as they were consistent.  The only times he complained in his letters about prospective screenplays were when they REALLY took liberties with his story.  The things that Jackson added/removed are entirely consistent with the films as a whole and, I think, the Professor would have been quite fine with them.

LOTR is not Scripture and Tolkien himself was revising things in his cosmology until the time of his death. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »

I think it's too bad Tolkien didn't live to see the newer movies and video games that have been made out of his books. I wonder what he would have thought of them.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »

Did I see someone refer to the Phantom Tollbooth above?

Finally something decent to discuss in this thread.

Game changing piece of literature.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »

Exactly. It's one of the greats.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »

And yet the Professor himself was quite aware and okay with filmmakers changing details as long as they were consistent.  The only times he complained in his letters about prospective screenplays were when they REALLY took liberties with his story.  The things that Jackson added/removed are entirely consistent with the films as a whole and, I think, the Professor would have been quite fine with them.
And that's where we disagree. Peter Jackson's portrayal of Faramir was, at first, totally different from the books.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 07:13:16 PM »

And yet the Professor himself was quite aware and okay with filmmakers changing details as long as they were consistent.  The only times he complained in his letters about prospective screenplays were when they REALLY took liberties with his story.  The things that Jackson added/removed are entirely consistent with the films as a whole and, I think, the Professor would have been quite fine with them.
And that's where we disagree. Peter Jackson's portrayal of Faramir was, at first, totally different from the books.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Tolkien do quite a bit of borrowing and modifying from previous stories/myths when constructing Middle Earth...?

EDIT--just an edit to say that I realise they are two different situations, since the movies are supposed to be based on the books and carry the name... I'm just wondering if maybe a bit of modification is necessary as time moves on and context changes... even leaving aside the sheer number of hours required, would it even be possible (or desirable) to make films that follow the books to the letter? I dunno, I guess I dislike some of the changes, but overall thought the movies were very well done. I remember stories that came out during the prehistoric age of the internet, before the movies came out, and I was frustrated by what I read then as well. Fast forward 15 years later and I love the movies... *shrugs*
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:19:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

And yet the Professor himself was quite aware and okay with filmmakers changing details as long as they were consistent.  The only times he complained in his letters about prospective screenplays were when they REALLY took liberties with his story.  The things that Jackson added/removed are entirely consistent with the films as a whole and, I think, the Professor would have been quite fine with them.

I will definitely agree with you there that Jackson changed Faramir's intial portrayal, but I think he did it the right way, even, dare I say it, in a way that Tolkien would have approved.  I would even go so far to say that Jackson/Boyens/Walsh bettered the story with what they did with Faramir.

For if Faramir would have simply walked away from the ring like he did in the books, especially after the relationship between Denethor and Faramir was portrayed in later flashback scenes (esp. in the Extended Cuts), it would have been simply unbelievable.  What worked in the book simply does not work on the screen.  Faramir was shown to desperately want his father's approval and, in keeping with this characterization, initially wanted to bring the Ring back to Denethor.  The scenes between the discovery of the hobbits and their release at Osgiliath are some of the most gut wrenching pieces in the film.  You can see the conflict within Faramir as he slowly realizes what the Ring is, what it can do, and how it must be destroyed.  The literary Faramir is practically a footnote, but the cinematic one is a hero who overcomes temptation for the greater good, sacrificing his own happiness (by doing what his father would have) and, in effect, further exposing the Ring as the succubus it is, which is entirely consistent with Jackson's vision of the Ring being an active participant in the story as opposed to the rather passive one in the books.

The only thing I took umbrage with was the appearance of the Elves at Helms' Deep.  I understand why Jackson did it, but, at the same time, felt it unnecessary for the action.  Part of the whole point of LOTR is that the time of the Elves has passed and it is time for Man to grow up and, well, "man up" and take care of Sauron once and for all, to redeem their kind for the weakness of Isildur.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:28:31 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »

Exactly. It's one of the greats.

Been looking for a reason to adapt it into a quadrilogy, now I see there is an obvious market.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 03:22:12 AM »

Are these the things where demons ask us questions after we die and if we fail we go straight to hell???
Byron
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 04:05:30 AM »

Which do you prefer, the book(s) or the movies?

The books by a country mile. Although the movies were fine - there was room for improvement. Eg by including more source material, toning down the ott action (Legolas skateboarding on his shield etc), made Gimli less of a buffoon/comic relief and more of a noble dwarf, and less non-original Jackson add-ons. Case in point being the Worg/Wolf attack in TTT and Aragorn disappearing down the river. The character of Faramir was not handled well either.

Any predictions for the upcoming Hobbit films? More or less faithful to source material compared to LOTR?

Personally i was looking forward to Del Torro directing, pity he didn't stay on. His vision may have been a less light hearted, less action oriented Hobbit compared to what we will get with Jackson.

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »

I am interested to see if Peter Jackson decided to turn The Hobbit into a brooding work consistent with his adaption of The Lord of the Rings or if he kept it a silly children's story.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 11:32:25 AM »

I am interested to see if Peter Jackson decided to turn The Hobbit into a brooding work consistent with his adaption of The Lord of the Rings or if he kept it a silly children's story.

Judging from the trailers, its gonna be serious. Which, I must admit, after going back to the Hobbit after Lord of the Rings, I take the story a bit more serious....or at least try to....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

Such as...

Weird moments between Frodo and Sam.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »

Such as...

Weird moments between Frodo and Sam.
I think there were a few times where a kiss was gonna happen *blech*

PP

Gregory the Great

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 04:44:14 PM »

For me they looked like a couple more in the book.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: