OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving to a CD Rom  (Read 1885 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« on: September 07, 2004, 04:18:39 PM »

Hi Cap'n,

This is going to be an insanely stupid question, but I am woefully ignorant in terms of technology.  Do you have to have a CD burner to save text documents or pictures to a CD?

What I'm asking is, do they have the CD equivalent of a 3 1/2 floppy disk where I can just stick it in the CD drive and save all of my hundreds of academic documents and essays to it, as well as the accompanying pictures and charts?

I currently have my back-ups on about 30 floppy disks, and I'd rather have them on one or two CDs.

Thanks,

Nick

P.S. - Please feel free to correct me in terms of terminological errors, etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 04:19:55 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 09:52:09 PM »

I see that you have had 44 hits and no answers. HMmmmmmmmm, I cant imagine that there are no geeks out there.

I have to assume you have no RW drive in you desktop? Well I am no expert and far from it, but I can try to answer some of these for you.  Yes, you will need a Read/Write RW CD drive to copy you documents from floppies. If you have a desk top there should be an extra drive space available for installing the new drive. If you dont it would be to your advantage to replace the existing CD read only drive with the RW type, Or buy a stand alone and plug it in to a new card. I have no idea on the price for this drive. I would seek out a computer store for price and installation for anything I have said so far.

A good reliable Geek shop (computer shop) can help you out here.

Copying from floppy to RW CD is as simple as copying documents from you C or D drives to floppys. If you know how to copy documents from one file to another you can handle this.

One thing, and that is once a document is burned to a CD it is unremovable. So make sure that to economize on space that only pertenent documents are copied over.  

The one advantage of CD files is that they never degrade over time BUT it is important to store them properly.

When all else fails, call the number of the tech support that came with your computer and sometimes they will give you the assistance you need for free.  Caution some charge a hefty fee for just calling in asking for help so ask before hand.

I hope some of this helps,

JoeS

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:55:24 PM »

The hits of 44 should have read 12.

JoeS
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 12:44:36 AM »

Hey bro!

Yes, you do need a CD writable drive in order to make any creations or alterations to a CD.

Unfortunately, studies have shown that many CD-Rs and CD-RWs degrade over time, thus as far as long-term permanent storage goes, the length of preservation is variable.  Nevertheless, they are more stable and longer lasting than your typical 3.5 floppy.

If you feel comfortable with installing a CD-writer, trust me it's very easy, you can purchase them cheap online, you can try http://www.pricewatch.com or http://www.gotapex.com. If you rather, youc an purchase an external CD-writer drive, or if you want more permanent and safer storage, you might want to invest in a USB Hard Drive.

I hope thi shelps a little, and please feel free to ask more !

R

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 01:35:17 AM »

When you purchase a CD-recorder, it will come with at least one CDROM with software which you will need to install. "Nero Burning" is probably the most common. In order to use a CD-RW like a floppy disk though, requires the installation of another program which will also be included on the same CD as Nero or whatever software comes with the recorder (InCD is one. There are others I can't remember now). When installed, it will automagically detect when you have inserted a blank CD-RW (as opposed to a CD-R) and will give you the option of utilising Nero to record the CD, or will preformat the CDRW for use like a floppy disk. If you choose the latter you will be able to drag files and folders onto the CD folder just like copying files to a floppy or hard disk.

Something to keep in mind though is that it doesn't actually record onto the CD-RW until you choose to eject it in order to avoid unnecessary writes to the CD, so it means you have to wait a few minutes for the recording to complete before it finally ejects the CD. Up until then it just keeps a temporary image on the hard drive.

John.
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 08:48:42 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.  They were all very helpful.  Cap'n, what is a USB Hard Drive?  All I want to do is make sure that I have back-ups of all of the papers I have written throughout my college career in case my hard drive crashes.  I don't see why mine should, but I have heard horror stories about people losing everything, and my stack of floppys just keeps getting more cumbersome.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 02:33:38 AM »

A USB Hard drive is essentially a portable hard drive that hooks up to your USB port, which is the rectangular thing about 3/4 of an inch long in the back (or front) of your PC.  Several studies have shown that the shelf life of CD-Rs and CD-RWs isn't as long as they expected (i.e. not lifetime) and if stored for a period of time in hot or cold conditions, they often times experienced a phenomenon called "cd rot" which basically means the foil inside of the CD slowly eats away.

In one of my chemical engineering classes a year ago, I did a little study on this myself and found it to be the case.  I wouldn't use CD-Rs or CD-RWs as any long lasting storage medium...if they are important..make sure you have a hardcopy on paper and put them on a hard drive.

Cap'n R
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 07:54:59 AM »

I wouldn't use CD-Rs or CD-RWs as any long lasting storage medium...if they are important..make sure you have a hardcopy on paper and put them on a hard drive.

You can use CDR's as a long term storage if you remember to make fresh copies of them every year or so on new CDR's. Perhaps more frequently if your CD's live under harsh conditions Grin. It still works out an awful lot cheaper Wink
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 03:00:38 PM »

Thanks guys!  So my best bet for saving my college papers ad infinitum is:

1.) Put them on a USB Hard Drive

2.) Put them on CD R's and re-copy them every few years

3.) Print hard copies of EVERYTHING!!! (Man, that's a lot of trees!)

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 03:52:07 PM »

In one of my chemical engineering classes a year ago...

Father Paul would be proud... Cool

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

Father Paul is/was my idol.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: