OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 02:25:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Windsor's husband hospitalized  (Read 4885 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »

FYI:
The position of Head of State is purely ceremonial.

So it makes no difference what so ever if the King or Queen is the Head of State, none what so ever,

Hmm... tell that to Gough Whitlam, the Prime Minister of Australia.  Removed from office.

Also the bishops of the Church of England...... appointed when approved by Her Majesty.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:49:29 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »

I prefer to refer to her as Elizabeth Wettin, descendant of Hanoverian usurpers.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »

I prefer to refer to her as Elizabeth Wettin, descendant of Hanoverian usurpers.

Interesting... who, then, is the legitimate royal family?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »

The real king of England:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz,_Duke_of_Bavaria

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

Good question!   By an act of rebellion the American settlers usurped the authority of the monarchy.   Who is now the legitimate authority?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »

Sry, could not edit. He is the heir of Stuart....no im not a jacobite.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »

Sry, could not edit. He is the heir of Stuart....no im not a jacobite.

PP

Well, if one wants to have hereditary succession and let God "choose" the king, then there should be no Parliamentary interference in the succession.  When the Act of Settlement was passed in 1701, there were about 50 people excluded due to their adherence to Roman Catholicism.  Their descendants must number in the hundreds by now, and they all have a better claim than Elizabeth Wettin.  The irony is that Parliament has recently decreed that Catholicism is no longer an impediment to the succession, but there ain't no grandfather clause for those who have been passed over.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »

Good question!   By an act of rebellion the American settlers usurped the authority of the monarchy.   Who is now the legitimate authority?

Well those who usurped it, of course, namely the people. That's kinda how authority works, you only have it so long as you can exercise it.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »

Hmm... tell that to Gough Whitlam, the Prime Minister of Australia.  Removed from office.

A clarification: Gough Whitlam was Prime Minister from 1972-75. He and his government were indeed dismissed from office on the orders of the Governor-General (the Queen's representative/viceroy) on November 11, 1975.

http://whitlamdismissal.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »

With regard to Stewarts, Prince William, through his mother, is the first heir to the throne to have succession from them. He also has succession from the early Anglo-Saxons and several Byzantine royal families as well as St. Vladimir of Kiev, IIRC.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »

With regard to Stewarts,

The Scottish royal house you refer to are the Stuarts.  police

As to Russian and Byzantine lines to the House of Windsor, Queen Victoria and Kaiser Wilhelm were known in their day as the Grandmother and Grandfather of Europe, by virtue of the many children they produced (not together, of course!) being married off to practically every royal house in existence at the time. They were, themselves, carrying on a long historic tradition. Look at any European/Scandinavian/Russian/Slavic blueblood's ancestry, and it's almost incestuous, because of the imperative that noble blood does not marry outside its parameters. At last, these days, there are far more instances of royals marrying commoners, with the imprimatur of their families, notably Crown Prince Frederick and Mary Donaldson, and HRH William and Catherine Middleton.

The post-independence Greek royal lineage started off as Bavarian, then Danish. These strands, in essence, explain how Prince Philip got his nickname of Phil the Greek, which he hates.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »

With regard to Stewarts,

The Scottish royal house you refer to are the Stuarts.  police

As to Russian and Byzantine lines to the House of Windsor, Queen Victoria and Kaiser Wilhelm were known in their day as the Grandmother and Grandfather of Europe, by virtue of the many children they produced (not together, of course!) being married off to practically every royal house in existence at the time. They were, themselves, carrying on a long historic tradition. Look at any European/Scandinavian/Russian/Slavic blueblood's ancestry, and it's almost incestuous, because of the imperative that noble blood does not marry outside its parameters. At last, these days, there are far more instances of royals marrying commoners, with the imprimatur of their families, notably Crown Prince Frederick and Mary Donaldson, and HRH William and Catherine Middleton.

The post-independence Greek royal lineage started off as Bavarian, then Danish. These strands, in essence, explain how Prince Philip got his nickname of Phil the Greek, which he hates.

Stuart if the Frenchified version, I thought, and Stewart is the English/Scots version.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »

I'm really surprised at the heated feelings over Elizabeth II.  Personally, I admire her personal character as well as what she has done for her nation.  Her children, however, I have no respect for and am curious to see the U.K's reaction to the day Charles becomes King.  I would never want to pay for people to live comfortably for no real reason; but the British don't seem to mind so more power to them!

Formerly known as "mctavix"
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »

and am curious to see the U.K's reaction to the day Charles becomes King.

IF he ever becomes King. Many say that either the British monarchy will be abolished once HM Elizabeth dies, or that its only hope for survival is if HRH Charles relinquishes his claim to the throne in favor of Prince William. Only time will tell.
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »

and am curious to see the U.K's reaction to the day Charles becomes King.

IF he ever becomes King. Many say that either the British monarchy will be abolished once HM Elizabeth dies, or that its only hope for survival is if HRH Charles relinquishes his claim to the throne in favor of Prince William. Only time will tell.

Agreed.  As an American, the traditions and ceremonies of the British monarchy are fascinating to both me and millions of American citizens.  It will be amazing to see a coronation since the last one was nearly 60 years ago.  People who despise the monarchy still respect Queen Elizabeth, I doubt you will see any type of respect being shown to Charles; ever.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:22 PM »

Here is the Coronation Service for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/coronation/cor1953b.html

It is extremely beautiful and could easily be Orthodox.
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2012, 12:06:03 AM »

I've seen clips of it on youtube before but of course the picture quality is not that good being it was in 1953.  It is remarkable to see such pageantry and ceremony carried out in such manner.   

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »

Wasn't the service of coronation for English monarchs written by St. Dunstan?

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »

Wasn't the service of coronation for English monarchs written by St. Dunstan?

“He became Bishop of Worcester and then Bishop of London. King Edgar made Dunstan the 25th Archbishop of Canterbury in 959. The restoration of monastic life, which had fallen into disarray in the previous century, was almost wholly Dunstan’s work. He founded over forty new monasteries, including the great abbeys of Peterborough, Ely, and Thorney. The earliest complete coronation text for an English monarch was compiled by Dunstan for King Edgar and became the model for future coronations, putting emphasis on the bond between church and monarch thus making the coronation a sacred act. Dunstan’s coronation ceremony still forms the basis of royal coronations today. It is said that he also designed the royal coronation crown.

“When he died in 988, Dunstan was buried at Canterbury Cathedral next to the high altar.”

http://www.saintdunstanschurch.org/nuts-bolts/who-was-saint-dunstan-what-are-episcopalians/

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »

FYI:
The position of Head of State is purely ceremonial.

So it makes no difference what so ever if the King or Queen is the Head of State, none what so ever,

Hmm... tell that to Gough Whitlam, the Prime Minister of Australia.  Removed from office.

Also the bishops of the Church of England...... appointed when approved by Her Majesty.

Do you really think the Monarch still makes governmental decisions or are they made for her and by Tradition they carry her name.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »

With regard to Stewarts, Prince William, through his mother, is the first heir to the throne to have succession from them. He also has succession from the early Anglo-Saxons and several Byzantine royal families as well as St. Vladimir of Kiev, IIRC.

My wife is a Stewart. We went to Burns Night at a local Scottish Pub ( They read Robert Burns poems and eat haggis etc.). Each table had someone stand and say which clan they belonged to, Hey, Campbell, MacGregor, MacDonald...And then she stood up and said ........."Stewart"

It was cool

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: