OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 09:02:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Windsor's husband hospitalized  (Read 5573 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: December 23, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »

Philip Mountbatten, husband of Elizabeth Windsor was hospitalized for cardiac issues:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45779248/ns/today-today_people/#.TvUIlTU7U1I

Proverbs 22:7
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »

Thanks be to God that they caught it in time. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »

Good to know HRH was taken care of and will be fine. Thanks for sharing!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »

Philip Mountbatten, husband of Elizabeth Windsor was hospitalized for cardiac issues:

How uncouth to refer to Her Majesty in such as way.

Is it some sort of political statement you wish to make?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »

The article noted that Philip was born on the island of Corfu (Kyrkira), but neglected to mention that he was titled "Prince of Greece," a member of the Greek royal family, living in exile, prior to his engagement to Princess Elizabeth.  His last name, "Mountbatten" was adopted at the time of his engagement, around the time that, unfortunately, he converted from Orthodoxy to Anglicanism; (in recent years he has visited the Holy Mountain, Mount Athos).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:35:37 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 11:42:21 PM »

The article noted that Philip was born on the island of Corfu (Kyrkira), but neglected to mention that he was titled "Prince of Greece," a member of the Greek royal family, living in exile, prior to his engagement to Princess Elizabeth.  His last name, "Mountbatten" was adopted at the time of his engagement, around the time that, unfortunately, he converted from Orthodoxy to Anglicanism; (in recent years he has visited the Holy Mountain, Mount Athos).

Very true. I've also heard that one of his sons (grandsons?) has also made regular trips to the Holy Mountain to regularly see a particular elder. There was a matched set of icons at the latest royal wedding, as well...

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »

Very true. I've also heard that one of his sons (grandsons?) has also made regular trips to the Holy Mountain to regularly see a particular elder. There was a matched set of icons at the latest royal wedding, as well...

The son in question is HRH Prince Charles.

http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/hrh.htm

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:14 PM »

Just let him be. It's a well known fact that Tallitot hates Queen Elizabeth, and nothing is going to change his opinion on this. Many of us have already tried.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 12:11:32 AM »

Come on now he's 90. Even princes can expect to die at 90. Because he basically lived on a fancy vacation all his life , he reached an age most working people do not.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »

Just let him be. It's a well known fact that Tallitot hates Queen Elizabeth, and nothing is going to change his opinion on this. Many of us have already tried.
For the record, I don't "hate" Betty Windsor (or Margrethe Glücksburg or Jigme Khesar Wangchuck)

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 12:43:48 AM »

Is it some sort of political statement you wish to make?

If you really want to get him going then just mention Mother Teresa. Good God, man.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »

Come on now he's 90. Even princes can expect to die at 90. Because he basically lived on a fancy vacation all his life , he reached an age most working people do not.
Really?  Can you tell us how many royals make it to 90?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 01:01:37 AM »

For the record, I don't "hate" Betty Windsor (or Margrethe Glücksburg or Jigme Khesar Wangchuck)
Shouldn't you be too busy lighting candles or spinning dredels to have time to chorttle and shake your fist in jealousy at the British/Greek royal family?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »

I wonder if he has broken one of the Matzvot?
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 01:07:34 AM »

Really?  Can you tell us how many royals make it to 90?
I remember a few: our own Mihai, Elizabeth's mother, Elizabeth herself is not far from there. I bet percentage-wise royals and others of such parasitic classes make it to 90 more than people on the southside of Chicago, for instance.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »

Really?  Can you tell us how many royals make it to 90?
I remember a few: our own Mihai, Elizabeth's mother, Elizabeth herself is not far from there. I bet percentage-wise royals and others of such parasitic classes make it to 90 more than people on the southside of Chicago, for instance.
I personally know three on the south side who did and have met 3-4 others, so you loose.  If I could remember exactly how many at the Chicago Hospitals (it was the only one in the area) were over 90 (there were a number, although I can't remember if it was over a dozen) I'd have a comfortable margin.  HRH Mihai just made 90, after he participated in Moscow's victory parade for WWII.

Parasitic classes?  HRH wasn't a PCR member.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:20:33 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »

Shouldn't you be too busy lighting candles or spinning dredels to have time to chorttle and shake your fist in jealousy at the British/Greek royal family?

just for the record, 2 of the persons I mentioned in my previous post aren't members of the British "royal" family. And while there is at least one other poster in this thread who doesn't feel the need to drool over Elizabeth, the Kotuku of New Zealand, I notice all the venom is saved for me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:44:30 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 01:30:09 AM »

So I log into the forum to make sure everything is up and running as I do from time to time and am assaulted by someone referring to Her Majesty in such a crass way. Maybe we will extend the forum rule about referring to clergy by their titles to heads of state as well... Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 01:31:35 AM »

As to further enfranchise petty bourgeois reactionary reveries.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »

As to further enfranchise petty bourgeois reactionary reveries.

Bourgeois? That's so 1800's.  Grin

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 01:45:31 AM »

fine, i revised my last post to refer to her by one of her proper titles. everyone happy?

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 01:57:46 AM »

fine, i revised my last post to refer to her by one of her proper titles. everyone happy?

You've gotten your attention, so the real question is: Now are you happy?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:57:54 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »

LOL.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 04:30:39 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »

It's hilarious.

Sorry, if you all can't appreciate the beauty of the five contradictions in Tallitot's posts on this topic, because you believe in taking Ren Fest seriously, I will light a candle for you tomorrow.

And he had his shabbos goy toy write the post obviously.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 07:49:09 AM »

I think he might have been waiting for applause and approval.

#24 -- Now he's happy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:49:50 AM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. HRH and the rest of the Canadian Royal Family - which we are pleased to share with others  Smiley - are being remembered in my personal prayers and in church.

I appreciate that you have referred to Her Majesty by her correct family name. I understand your choice to avoid references to royal titles and styles in your writing - not an entirely bad thing as so many people get them all wrong anyway!

It is good to hear that the Duke's general good health will likely contribute to a reasonably rapid recovery.
Margaret S.

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »

The DoE is on the mend. Quite frankly, that's the last time one lets him challenge the Duchess of Cornwall to a drinking game.  Cheesy

http://twitter.com/Queen_UK

Margaret
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »

While royal titles are confusing, esp. to us brazen Yanks, shouldn't we be using them as honorifics just as we do for clergy and bishops - even when we may individually view one or the other as schismatic, heretic etc...? After all, if someone referred to the last Tsar by his first and familial name only, I am sure there would be an appropriate outrage posted here.
Just asking.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »

It's hilarious.

Sorry, if you all can't appreciate the beauty of the five contradictions in Tallitot's posts on this topic, because you believe in taking Ren Fest seriously, I will light a candle for you tomorrow.

And he had his shabbos goy toy write the post obviously.

shabbes goy toy.  I'll have to remember that.

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »

While royal titles are confusing, esp. to us brazen Yanks, shouldn't we be using them as honorifics just as we do for clergy and bishops - even when we may individually view one or the other as schismatic, heretic etc...? After all, if someone referred to the last Tsar by his first and familial name only, I am sure there would be an appropriate outrage posted here.
Just asking.
Would there be? In this post (http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,41869.msg684832.html#msg684832)
 I refer to 2 current hereditary heads of state by name, and I don't see any hand wringing re: "Oh, how uncuth, he refered to the King of Buhtan by name instead of title" "Oh, he called the Queen of Denmark 'mrs. Glucksburg...how horrible". No it's only when one blasphems Betty-May Windsor that everyone scammers around like cats in a litter box.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:52:14 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 10:45:59 PM »

Just asking.
Would there be? In this post (http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,41869.msg684832.html#msg684832)
 I refer to 2 current hereditary heads of state by name, and I don't see any hand wringing re: "Oh, how uncuth, he refered to the King of Buhtan by name instead of title" "Oh, he called the Queen of Denmark 'mrs. Glucksburg...how horrible". No it's only when one blasphems Betty-May Windsor that everyone scammers around like cats in a litter box.

When I was a lad, in the time of the Vietnam war, I was briefly employed by Her Majesty in the Ministry of Defence.  I took an oath to defend her honour which would probably oblige me to box your ears if we were in the same room.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:47:38 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »

Just asking.

When I was a lad, in the time of the Vietnam war, I was briefly employed by Her Majesty in the Ministry of Defence.  I took an oath to defend her honour which would probably oblige me to box your ears if we were in the same room.

Forgive him, Father, for he knows not what he does. Wink

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 12:27:15 AM »

As much as I agree with my fellow spiritually semitic brother, well played montalo!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »

As much as I agree with my fellow spiritually semitic brother, well played montalo!

I'm pretty sure there is a mitzvah which prohibits a Jew insulting a monarch.  What would be the penalty?  Banishment to goyland?
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 01:47:58 AM »

And how have I insulted  Paramount Chief of Fiji? By refering to her by her name, which was confered at Baptisim?

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 02:42:33 AM »

Lord, have mercy on thy servants!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:45 AM »

And how have I insulted  Paramount Chief of Fiji? By refering to her by her name, which was confered at Baptisim?

Forgive us, Tallitot, I think we assumed you realised how you have insulted Her Majesty.  The fact that you don't is proof of diminished capacity and you should not be held accountable for that.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 03:45:21 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 03:53:23 AM »

No it's proof of how ridiculous I find the idea of a hereditary head of state.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »

Just remember that regardless of how ridiculous you find the idea of a hereditary head of state to be, Queen Elizabeth is still the Queen of England. Wink
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 07:10:52 AM »

Just remember that regardless of how ridiculous you find the idea of a hereditary head of state to be, Queen Elizabeth is still the Queen of England. Wink
but her name is still Elizabeth Mary Alexandra Windsor. besides I have refered to her by some of her titles in this thread as a courtesey. IIRC doesn't the magazine Private Eye refer to her as "Brenda"?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 07:33:38 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »

And how have I insulted  Paramount Chief of Fiji?

Fiji is a republic but they conferred this title of honour on Her Majesty out of their love and respect for her.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »

IIRC doesn't the magazine Private Eye refer to her as "Brenda"?

What do they know that we don't?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »

but her name is still Elizabeth Mary Alexandra Windsor. besides I have refered to her by some of her titles in this thread as a courtesey. IIRC doesn't the magazine Private Eye refer to her as "Brenda"?
SWYP?
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: