OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:03:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monastic Diurnal  (Read 3838 times) Average Rating: 0
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »

Hey, folks

I recently got my hands on the Monastic Diurnal from Lancelot Andrew Press. Its a beautiful book. I haven't figured out how to navigate it yet, but I like it. How would one from the eastern rite use it?

Happy Christmas!

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »

Hey, folks

I recently got my hands on the Monastic Diurnal from Lancelot Andrew Press. Its a beautiful book. I haven't figured out how to navigate it yet, but I like it. How would one from the eastern rite use it?

Happy Christmas!

It's not really compatible for the Eastern Rite, being something from the Western Rite (and not completely Orthodox at that). The calendar is not the same, most of the prayers are different. If you want to use it (I do sometimes), you will need to edit out the non-Orthodox material and simply follow what's there--be ER in church, WR at home.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »

Hey, folks

Happy Christmas!

We wouldn't.  The Monastic Diurnal is for the churches of the western confession.  I'd advise caution.  As Shanghaiski has already pointed out, there is a lot of non-Orthodox material in there and the prayers are rooted in the western ethos of salvation as mainly forensic or juridical.  Consult a priest.  That doesn't mean that there isn't god material in there.  When I attended a Western Rite parish on occasion for Friday Vespers, I really enjoyed chanting the psalms of the day in the simple Gregorian tones.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »

I wouldn't say there's "a lot" of non-Orthodox material in there. The development of the Western Rite’s Divine Office began in the very earliest years of the Church’s life after Pentecost, and it developed into its current, essential form by the time of Saints Benedict and Gregory the Great. It is our rich heritage as Orthodox Christians, containing the fulness of the Divine Office as prayed and chanted by our Fathers and Mothers in the faith, having its primitive roots in the worship of the venerable Patriarchs, Prophets, and Apostles, being given its distinctive form and content by the holy Fathers, Martyrs and Confessors of the Orthodox Western Churches. It is the Faith of our Fathers, expressed according to the particular genius of the Western Latin mindset, in the traditional English idiom of prayer and worship that so many hold dear.

The only caution needed is that it might ignite a fire in your soul that so many of your Western forbears had during the first millennium of Church history, and it might make you want to experience more of the venerable Western Rite Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:08:25 AM »

Danger. Heresy lurks beneath every prayer of doom.
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:44:29 AM »

I wouldn't say there's "a lot" of non-Orthodox material in there. The development of the Western Rite’s Divine Office began in the very earliest years of the Church’s life after Pentecost, and it developed into its current, essential form by the time of Saints Benedict and Gregory the Great. It is our rich heritage as Orthodox Christians, containing the fulness of the Divine Office as prayed and chanted by our Fathers and Mothers in the faith, having its primitive roots in the worship of the venerable Patriarchs, Prophets, and Apostles, being given its distinctive form and content by the holy Fathers, Martyrs and Confessors of the Orthodox Western Churches. It is the Faith of our Fathers, expressed according to the particular genius of the Western Latin mindset, in the traditional English idiom of prayer and worship that so many hold dear.

The only caution needed is that it might ignite a fire in your soul that so many of your Western forbears had during the first millennium of Church history, and it might make you want to experience more of the venerable Western Rite Smiley

Well I have to be honest and say that I used to pray the Monastic Diurnal with the help of "Saints will arise" site. I had the one actually published by Benedictines in England. After doing the Horologion, I have a real hard time praying the Western Office. Just is lacking somehow. You need to pray it chanting and it sounds much better. For internal prayer it almost sounds second rate to reading the prayers included in various Orthodox Catholic prayer books and Horologions. Chanting it properly is a great equalizer.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: