OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:34:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversational Worthy Moral Argument  (Read 250 times) Average Rating: 0
steven84

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Non-Denom

« on: December 22, 2011, 02:02:02 AM »

This is a great breakdown of "The Moral Argument" (Here: http://streetapologetics.com/2011/12/what-is-the-moral-argument/) in which an otherwise scholarly argument in broken down into a layman's version. He also has covered all of the most common objections to the argument and shown how to respond swiftly and effectively.

I was wondering what others take might be on this style of street apologetics? I want to start implementing some of it out on the street but first want to see if all of the bases are already covered by bouncing it off folks in here.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »

Just for the record I do believe in God and that He is the source and standard for our behavior.

Quote from: source
the conclusion will follow inescapably according to the rules of logic so long as one affirms premises (1) and (2) as true premises.

The Moral Argument Stated:

1) If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist.

2) Objective moral values do exist.

It seems you must first be able to prove your first two points.

If I have a 5 Dollar Bill in my wallet, it will be objectively true that I have a 5 Dollar Bill in my wallet.

Your $5 bill is only worth what you can buy with it, which is dependent on where you spend it and whether or not you are able to talk the price of something down.

Not to mention that if you can convince an athiest of the existence of God, there is still the issue of which religion is correct and whether or not Jesus of Nazareth really existed and was raised from the dead after being crucified.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:10:44 AM »

Objective moral values would exist if I became Big Brother.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: