OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:20:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy | Catholcism evidence for who's right  (Read 347 times) Average Rating: 0
Jack Bauer

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »

Now, I didn't quite know how to frame the "Subject," but I'm hoping to get orthodox information that gives me a run for my money.
With whom can I discuss orthodoxy in depth?  A priest told me that I would need to study on my own.  I would like to have someone to bounce things off of, not someone who thinks he knows it all, but rather a theologian, preacher, historian type that would be able to provide a convincing discussion dealing with ancient Church teaching.  I need the hard questions asked with time to grapple with them.  I refuse to enter into a debate becuase that's not my purpose for being here.  I want to know for sure, one way or the other, if in fact, the RCC broke off from the Catholic Church, why the names are as we see them today, etc.  I've always said that I became Catholic again because of Orthodoxy.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the RCC that led me home seeking truth in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.  At a minimum, I would love to become Eastern Catholic in communion with Rome. 

Private lessons would be nice.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »

http://www.byzcath.org/

The site above is Eastern Catholic. I'm not sure where you live, so you may want to use the Find-a-Parish link there. Hope that helps.  Smiley
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »

If you're looking "The Right Answer" to tell you which one is right and settle all your questions on a narrow set of issues, you probably won't find it.   Even my trip to Mount Athos didn't give me a clear answer on this (not that I was looking - and what answers it did give me were unexpected)

If you just want to learn, the best is to attend Vespers and Orthros and Liturgy as often as you can (this includes weekday services) and visit a monastery for a few days.  

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: