OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:49:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantine Catholic liturgy from Slovakia  (Read 876 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: December 21, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »

Wow!  Here's a site from Slovakia with mp3's of Byzantine Catholic liturgical hymns. 

http://www.grkat.nfo.sk/eng/music.html
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »

Thanks for posting, but please don't credit the music as being 'Byzantine Catholic hymns' as they are part of the shared heritage of both the Greek Catholics and the Orthodox of eastern Slovakia and Transcarpathia - and the slavic Orthodox as a whole. The Orthodox Choir of St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Presov has released several beautiful CD's with many of the same selections. I am sure you meant no offense by your reference, but it is an important point to keep in mind. (The recordings of the Seminarians from the Presov Academy are excellent although I don't have a link to obtain them.)

By the way, I wish the European Orthodox would do more on the internet. The Russian Orthodox Church uses it effectively with beautiful videos and recordings.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »

Thanks for posting, but please don't credit the music as being 'Byzantine Catholic hymns' as they are part of the shared heritage of both the Greek Catholics and the Orthodox of eastern Slovakia and Transcarpathia - and the slavic Orthodox as a whole. The Orthodox Choir of St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Presov has released several beautiful CD's with many of the same selections. I am sure you meant no offense by your reference, but it is an important point to keep in mind. (The recordings of the Seminarians from the Presov Academy are excellent although I don't have a link to obtain them.)

By the way, I wish the European Orthodox would do more on the internet. The Russian Orthodox Church uses it effectively with beautiful videos and recordings.

Yes, I had no intent to offend!  (It seems no matter what you say here, someone is bound to be offended, to be honest  )  It's so hard to find recordings of this music from the Ruthenian/Slovakian tradition.  I specifically didn't put it under Liturgy because it was a Byzantine Catholic website and there are links from this site that give the Byzantine Catholic viewpoint of the history of the church.   I hope that point is taken.

The moderator had posted a suggestion of topics for this forum, such as comparing monastic and liturgical traditions. 

With all the squabbling that goes on in this forum, sometimes it's nice to take a breath and listen to this beautiful music, regardless if it is sung by Byzantine Catholics or Eastern Orthodox.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »

There's Nothing Else, But Holy Orthodoxy...... Grin
Give Me Holy Orthodoxy ,or Give Me Death....... police

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

The prayers may be Orthodox, but when they are prayed by/recorded by the heterodox, it is appropriate to indicate this.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »

Hi Stashko  Smiley

Yes, I know that knowing you have the fullness of the truth is very uplifting and I am very happy for you.  Smiley

I also see a kaleidescope of imperfect people on their paths to knowing God.  I see the beauty of someone, without the fullness of the truth, doing wonderful, remarkable things and I often marvel how God calls to everyone in quiet, beautiful ways.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »

I've said it before and I will always say it again - those of you Orthodox who have no personal experience with our Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters and who are quick to judge them ought to look inward. Remember the old saying about walking a mile in your brother's shoes.

Adela, I was certainly not offended, just pointing out the obvious.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »

I've said it before and I will always say it again - those of you Orthodox who have no personal experience with our Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters and who are quick to judge them ought to look inward. Remember the old saying about walking a mile in your brother's shoes.

Adela, I was certainly not offended, just pointing out the obvious.

Yes, of course....  Smiley

And to everyone on this forum,  I hope you all have a very blessed Christmas! 
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »

http://www.lemko.org/lvpro/liturhia.html

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »

Quote from: Adela
Yes, of course....  Smiley

And to everyone on this forum,  I hope you all have a very blessed Christmas! 

Merry Christmas to you too!   angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »

Hi Stashko  Smiley

Yes, I know that knowing you have the fullness of the truth is very uplifting and I am very happy for you.  Smiley

I also see a kaleidescope of imperfect people on their paths to knowing God.  I see the beauty of someone, without the fullness of the truth, doing wonderful, remarkable things and I often marvel how God calls to everyone in quiet, beautiful ways.

Very well said.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

http://www.lemko.org/lvpro/liturhia.html

Above is a link to ordering a CD from St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Presov...

Sorry about the bare link.  I thought that the reference to the text above was sufficient.

M.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: