Author Topic: Byzantine Catholic liturgy from Slovakia  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Adela

• High Elder
Byzantine Catholic liturgy from Slovakia
« on: December 21, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Wow!  Here's a site from Slovakia with mp3's of Byzantine Catholic liturgical hymns. 

http://www.grkat.nfo.sk/eng/music.html

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Re: Byzantine Catholic liturgy from Slovakia
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »
Thanks for posting, but please don't credit the music as being 'Byzantine Catholic hymns' as they are part of the shared heritage of both the Greek Catholics and the Orthodox of eastern Slovakia and Transcarpathia - and the slavic Orthodox as a whole. The Orthodox Choir of St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Presov has released several beautiful CD's with many of the same selections. I am sure you meant no offense by your reference, but it is an important point to keep in mind. (The recordings of the Seminarians from the Presov Academy are excellent although I don't have a link to obtain them.)

By the way, I wish the European Orthodox would do more on the internet. The Russian Orthodox Church uses it effectively with beautiful videos and recordings.

Offline Adela

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
Thanks for posting, but please don't credit the music as being 'Byzantine Catholic hymns' as they are part of the shared heritage of both the Greek Catholics and the Orthodox of eastern Slovakia and Transcarpathia - and the slavic Orthodox as a whole. The Orthodox Choir of St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Presov has released several beautiful CD's with many of the same selections. I am sure you meant no offense by your reference, but it is an important point to keep in mind. (The recordings of the Seminarians from the Presov Academy are excellent although I don't have a link to obtain them.)

By the way, I wish the European Orthodox would do more on the internet. The Russian Orthodox Church uses it effectively with beautiful videos and recordings.

Yes, I had no intent to offend!  (It seems no matter what you say here, someone is bound to be offended, to be honest  )  It's so hard to find recordings of this music from the Ruthenian/Slovakian tradition.  I specifically didn't put it under Liturgy because it was a Byzantine Catholic website and there are links from this site that give the Byzantine Catholic viewpoint of the history of the church.   I hope that point is taken.

The moderator had posted a suggestion of topics for this forum, such as comparing monastic and liturgical traditions. 

With all the squabbling that goes on in this forum, sometimes it's nice to take a breath and listen to this beautiful music, regardless if it is sung by Byzantine Catholics or Eastern Orthodox.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »
There's Nothing Else, But Holy Orthodoxy...... ;D
Give Me Holy Orthodoxy ,or Give Me Death....... :police:
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

The prayers may be Orthodox, but when they are prayed by/recorded by the heterodox, it is appropriate to indicate this.

Offline Adela

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »

Hi Stashko  :)

Yes, I know that knowing you have the fullness of the truth is very uplifting and I am very happy for you.  :)

I also see a kaleidescope of imperfect people on their paths to knowing God.  I see the beauty of someone, without the fullness of the truth, doing wonderful, remarkable things and I often marvel how God calls to everyone in quiet, beautiful ways.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »
I've said it before and I will always say it again - those of you Orthodox who have no personal experience with our Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters and who are quick to judge them ought to look inward. Remember the old saying about walking a mile in your brother's shoes.

Adela, I was certainly not offended, just pointing out the obvious.

Offline Adela

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
I've said it before and I will always say it again - those of you Orthodox who have no personal experience with our Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters and who are quick to judge them ought to look inward. Remember the old saying about walking a mile in your brother's shoes.

Adela, I was certainly not offended, just pointing out the obvious.

Yes, of course....  :)

And to everyone on this forum,  I hope you all have a very blessed Christmas! 

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »

http://www.lemko.org/lvpro/liturhia.html

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »
Quote from: Adela
Yes, of course....  :)

And to everyone on this forum,  I hope you all have a very blessed Christmas! 

Merry Christmas to you too!   :angel:

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »

Hi Stashko  :)

Yes, I know that knowing you have the fullness of the truth is very uplifting and I am very happy for you.  :)

I also see a kaleidescope of imperfect people on their paths to knowing God.  I see the beauty of someone, without the fullness of the truth, doing wonderful, remarkable things and I often marvel how God calls to everyone in quiet, beautiful ways.

Very well said.  :)

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

http://www.lemko.org/lvpro/liturhia.html

Above is a link to ordering a CD from St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Presov...

Sorry about the bare link.  I thought that the reference to the text above was sufficient.

M.