OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 23, 2014, 12:04:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Centrality of the Cross  (Read 524 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: December 23, 2011, 02:59:50 AM »

I have heard charged leveled against RC by EO that RC over-emphasize the cross, and don't put enough emphasis on the incarnation and the resurrection. Is this a legitimate charge? I'd like to see both sides of the argument here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:04:43 AM »

I have heard charged leveled against RC by EO that RC over-emphasize the cross, and don't put enough emphasis on the incarnation and the resurrection. Is this a legitimate charge? I'd like to see both sides of the argument here.

I don't think so. I think. Maybe.  Grin I mean, writers are going to differ in how much emphasis they put on any one thing, but over the course of time I would think that it has evened out...  seems to anyway... interestingly Protestants sometimes make the charge that the Orthodox don't emphasize the cross enough--as though St. Paul preached Christ crucified, but the Orthodox preach Christ resurrected. I don't think that charge is true either, but a stronger case could possibly be made for it.

Large Marge sent me...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »

Another thing I never heard when I was in the RCC. I must have missed a lot.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:24 AM »

I don't think so. I think. Maybe.  Grin I mean, writers are going to differ in how much emphasis they put on any one thing, but over the course of time I would think that it has evened out...  seems to anyway... interestingly Protestants sometimes make the charge that the Orthodox don't emphasize the cross enough--as though St. Paul preached Christ crucified, but the Orthodox preach Christ resurrected. I don't think that charge is true either, but a stronger case could possibly be made for it.

Ya good point. So do RC believe that EO do not emphasize the cross enough?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:43:42 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »

I think the Orthodox do a fine job emphasizing the cross. The netodox on the other hand...

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »

I think the Orthodox do a fine job emphasizing the cross. The netodox on the other hand...

slam! Ok this thread is going right where i want it to... angel  laugh
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »

Some Orthodox polemicists are stuck in the medieval period. The Roman Catholics have moved on.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »

Some Orthodox polemicists are stuck in the medieval period. The Roman Catholics have moved on.

And their services are all in Latin!
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »

I would say that, while my experience in RC churches is somewhat limited and haven't beeen inside one in a while, the homilies that I hear on any given sunday are more practical than theological, but this is just my experience. I will say that I remember going to a Christmas mass a few years ago and hearing the priest preach about how "we don't worship a book" placing emphasis on the person of Jesus Christ and the celebration of the Son of God being born as a man. I just looked briefly over the new Roman mass, and don't see any diminishing of the importance of the incarnation (they bow when it's mentioned in the creed) or the resurrection (always mentioned with Christ's death in the Eucharistic prayers).

As for the Orthodox teaching, we don't speak of the incarnation apart from Christ's mission to heal us, which is completed in the resurrection, which is always mentioned with His death. Liturgically, there is no diminishing of the crucifixion. The only possible misunderstanding could be that we worship on the day of the resurrection, so our hymns for the resurrection are always being sung, but even they have lines like "...Who willed to be lifted up on the cross in the flesh, to endure death, and to raise the dead by His glorious resurrection".

As for protestants, depending on where you go, there are some who emphasize the cross to the point of diminishing the incarnation (as long as you believe in Jesus and not dogmas about Him) and the resurrection (you just have to believe that He died as punishment for your sins). But, what is said about some forms of Protestantism may not be necessarily true for all.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: