OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:27:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differing Date: Conception of the Theotokos  (Read 889 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:38 PM »

On December 8th, the Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates the feast of the Conception of the Theotokos (a polyelei rank feast, though not numbered among the 12 Great Feasts).

On December 9th, the Roman Catholic Church celebrates the feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

These are historically the same feast (though it was elevated in the West post-schism with the formation of the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception), but they are celebrated on different days. I can find information that says the Eastern date is older, and it was later changed in the West, but I can't find information on when exactly the change occurred or why. I was wondering if anyone knew why the date was moved, especially only one day? Further, what is the practice of the Eastern Catholic Churches for this feast? All information is appreciated!

Thanks!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »

I think you have the 8th and 9th reversed.

Can't answer all your questions, but it should be noted that we commemorate three conceptions and births: of Jesus Mar 25 - Dec 25, exactly nine months; of John the Baptist Sept 23 - June 24, nine months plus a day; of the Theotokos Dec 9 - Sept 8, nine months less a day. There is a lesson in there somewhere. I can speculate, but others are more likely to give a patristic and historical explanation.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »

Can't answer all your questions, but it should be noted that we commemorate three conceptions and births: of Jesus Mar 25 - Dec 25, exactly nine months; of John the Baptist Sept 23 - June 24, nine months plus a day; of the Theotokos Dec 9 - Sept 8, nine months less a day. There is a lesson in there somewhere. I can speculate, but others are more likely to give a patristic and historical explanation.

Oops! You're right! We celebrate the feast on the 9th, the RCC on the 8th.

And I definitely agree with your point. I found that very interesting when I found out.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »

And I definitely agree with your point. I found that very interesting when I found out.

I think the answer is in the book by Fr. Thomas Hopko called something like "The Winter Lent" with all the documentation and quotes etc.

In a nutshell, when a child is conceived naturally, no one can predict the exact date of delivery.  The lesson is that both the Theotokos and St. John the Forerunner were conceived naturally as all humans are.  However, Chjrist was not and that is why His birth is exactly 9 months to the day.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »

I think the answer is in the book by Fr. Thomas Hopko called something like "The Winter Lent" with all the documentation and quotes etc.

In a nutshell, when a child is conceived naturally, no one can predict the exact date of delivery.  The lesson is that both the Theotokos and St. John the Forerunner were conceived naturally as all humans are.  However, Chjrist was not and that is why His birth is exactly 9 months to the day.

Yes, I remember reading about that. The book is "The Winter Pascha." Very delightful devotional read! Grin

J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »

If what you say about the Orthodox date being older is true, then it seems quite plausible that the RCC changed it so that the feastdays of Conception and Birth of the Theotokos are exactly 9 months apart, without the "imperfection" of being a day early. Obviously the perfect 9 month difference sits better with their own particular beliefs about the Mother of God's conception.

IC XC
NI KA
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »

Or it could be because the Latin Roman Catholicsare evil and they created a fake robot Mother of God who stands in the place of the real one on the wrong day. All Vatican lies. All of them.

offensive word removed per oc.net rules and modified by Orthodox-Catholic Discussion moderator, username!
 you are hereby placed on official warning for using the word papist in this thread.  I modified it.  You know the rules, or at least should by now.  If you feel you didn't originally write the word papist in your post on the public forum in this thread then contact Fr. Chris, the administrator.  Username! Orthodox Catholic Discussion Moderator
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:33:14 AM by username! » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »

Or it could be because the Latin Papists are evil and they created a fake robot Mother of God who stands in the place of the real one on the wrong day. All Vatican lies. All of them.

Cheesy

Well:  We pray to the Immaculate Mother of God for a conversion of your heart and a change in your attitude!  By the power of her son, Jesus Christ, Lord!

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »

If what you say about the Orthodox date being older is true, then it seems quite plausible that the RCC changed it so that the feastdays of Conception and Birth of the Theotokos are exactly 9 months apart, without the "imperfection" of being a day early. Obviously the perfect 9 month difference sits better with their own particular beliefs about the Mother of God's conception.

That would be easy enough to check if one can access a pre-1850 Benedictine Breviary. The Benedictines were more conservative in adding stuff to their calendar than the Franciscans and their ilk.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »

Or it could be because the Latin Roman Catholicsare evil and they created a fake robot Mother of God who stands in the place of the real one on the wrong day. All Vatican lies. All of them.

offensive word removed per oc.net rules and modified by Orthodox-Catholic Discussion moderator, username!
 you are hereby placed on official warning for using the word papist in this thread.  I modified it.  You know the rules, or at least should by now.  If you feel you didn't originally write the word papist in your post on the public forum in this thread then contact Fr. Chris, the administrator.  Username! Orthodox Catholic Discussion Moderator
Alveus, why are you so  offensive? I don't agree with Immaculate conception, because there is no original sin, but that is no reason to slam Catholics. A user made cracks about jews and got banned.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »

As far as I know, this is precisely the explanation: Christ was perfect from the beginning, St. John and the Theotokos were almost, hence the notable difference of 9 months vs 9 mo. +/- 1 day between conception and birth celebrations.  It is also why, from the RC POV, you must celebrate her conception on Dec 8 instead of the 9th.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »

Alveus, why are you so  offensive? I don't agree with Immaculate conception, because there is no original sin, but that is no reason to slam Catholics. A user made cracks about jews and got banned.
Anyone who has been around here long enough would know that Alveus is mocking those who think RCs are the cause of doom and gloom. I think it's safe to say that he wasn't serious.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »

Anyone who has been around here long enough would know that Alveus is mocking those who think RCs are the cause of doom and gloom. I think it's safe to say that he wasn't serious.

In Christ,
Andrew

I agree. I didn't feel at all that he was actually being serious!

As far as I know, this is precisely the explanation: Christ was perfect from the beginning, St. John and the Theotokos were almost, hence the notable difference of 9 months vs 9 mo. +/- 1 day between conception and birth celebrations.  It is also why, from the RC POV, you must celebrate her conception on Dec 8 instead of the 9th.

Father, bless!

That definitely makes sense to me, given the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. Assuming the Orthodox feast day is the original celebration date, it would be interesting to know exactly when it was changed in the West, since the IC was only dogmatized at Vatican I.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: