OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:41:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any converts who came from Charismatism but didn't hate their old church?  (Read 4451 times) Average Rating: 0
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:39 AM »

Thank you frog for a wonderful contribution. Smiley

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
finderkeeper

Faith: Non-denom Christian - Ortho Inquirer

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 06:49:15 AM »

I know I made enough false or off center prophecies in my Charismatic days to qualify for a good old fashioned OT stoning…and not the herbaceous kind.

True dat.

My experience with the Charismatic movement taught me so much about the love of God, and trained me to see God as real, immediate, personal. My embarrassing fumbles, such as deluding myself into believing my own "prophesies" (Lord forgive me), taught me the need for humility. Which, in a roundabout way, brought me to accept Holy Tradition.

I'm not even officially a catechumen yet, but I can no longer NOT believe what Orthodoxy teaches - which I've been in denial about for months. I felt like believing Orthodoxy somehow invalidated the (mostly charismatic) experiences that have formed the foundations of my faith 'til now. I am finally beginning to see Orthodoxy as an answer to my prayer to know God more.

I too have tried to discern what was legitimate and what wasn't, but I know it would make me insane trying to figure it all out. Besides, God used it all. Even the things I know were off - such as my "prophesies" - eventually led me to a greater understanding of God and His Church. I thank God for everything that has brought me to Him, even the Charismatic church.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »

well done, u r on the right track.
i only understand most of my previous experiences now, 3 years after becoming orthodox, so don't waste too much time agonising over what was God's presence and what was yr own hysteria / wishful thinking. there will be plenty in each category.
just stay close to God, pursue the truth, live in peace with all men as far as it depends on you, and God will guide u into all truth.
 Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »

I know I made enough false or off center prophecies in my Charismatic days to qualify for a good old fashioned OT stoning…and not the herbaceous kind.

True dat.

My experience with the Charismatic movement taught me so much about the love of God, and trained me to see God as real, immediate, personal. My embarrassing fumbles, such as deluding myself into believing my own "prophesies" (Lord forgive me), taught me the need for humility. Which, in a roundabout way, brought me to accept Holy Tradition.

I'm not even officially a catechumen yet, but I can no longer NOT believe what Orthodoxy teaches - which I've been in denial about for months. I felt like believing Orthodoxy somehow invalidated the (mostly charismatic) experiences that have formed the foundations of my faith 'til now. I am finally beginning to see Orthodoxy as an answer to my prayer to know God more.

I too have tried to discern what was legitimate and what wasn't, but I know it would make me insane trying to figure it all out. Besides, God used it all. Even the things I know were off - such as my "prophesies" - eventually led me to a greater understanding of God and His Church. I thank God for everything that has brought me to Him, even the Charismatic church.

Good for you! Smiley I'm sure you'll do well.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »

Finderkeeper, welcome to the forum, and thank you for what you've written. Just as you have given encouragement so may you also receive it.

katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »

I too have tried to discern what was legitimate and what wasn't, but I know it would make me insane trying to figure it all out. Besides, God used it all.

When I became Orthodox, it was such a relief to realize that all the "heavy lifting" (as a priest friend of mine calls it) had already done for me!  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »

Now that I've found Orthodoxy, I don't feel badly towards my Pentecostal roots. I did a few months back but I think it was more frustration in not knowing where to go once I had left my church. Now that I am secure and feel that I'm on a good path, I can finally thank God for his guidance not only out of obediance but from my heart.

I pray for everyone I know to come with me.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »

I pray for everyone I know to come with me.

I hear you there. Several of my friends would be so suited to Orthodoxy. All of them, of course, would truly benefit from the fullness of the church that was actually established at Pentecost, but there are some of them that ooh..., I can almost taste it. But, I don't want to be the person that left and tried to get everyone else to leave too.  Undecided "sigh" Perhaps eventually, prayer is a good thing.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: