OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:10:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Frontline" "From Jesus to Christ: The First Christians" PBS series  (Read 809 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: December 21, 2011, 01:48:13 AM »

Has anyone seen this program?  I just watched Part 2 this evening.

For those who didn't recognize it, throughout much of Part 2, a women is singing background music; she is singing the hymns of "The Lamentations" of Holy and Great Saturday Orthros, in Greek, and also in Arabic, I think.

I don't think any of the speakers were Orthodox from what I could tell. Neither did I notice an acknowledgement of Orthodox sources in the credits which were run rather quickly (except for the Ministry of Culture of Greece).  The story is of an era that the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church should have particular knowledge, given our antiquity, the authority we give to the Church Fathers, and that the (Greek Orthodox) Patriarchate of Jerusalem is the custodian of the overwhelming majority of Shrines, but no, that is not recognized here in the U.S.A.  What a shame!  And this is our fault, for our failure to resolve our 93 year old administrative segregation and project our Faith upon American culture.

I'm not a New Testament expert so I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts about the accuracy of what was discussed in this program.  (It didn't seem too far off, from what I know.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:51:51 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:05:14 AM »

I remember watching that program a while back.  I don't remember the particulars, however, I do recall that I did enjoy it. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: