OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 05:34:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help from other Canadians  (Read 590 times) Average Rating: 0
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« on: December 21, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »

Hey, all.

I'm in need of some information from my fellow Canadians.

So, Here's the thing... I just finished school and I'm back in Northern Ontario. I'm a blacksmith and I want to run a shop eventually, but for now I want to find home. Southern Ontario is lovely, but its too hot for me in the summer time, and I work with fire and hot metal, soooo, yeah. Northern Ontario is where I grew up, and I love it here, but its a sad place with no money and its far away from everything, and I don't want to live here any more. Now... I know nothing of the other provinces. I'd like for you all to tell me whats awesome and what sucks about where you live. Don't hold back on what sucks. Many thanks!

A happy nativity to all!

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »

(this is not coming from a canadian, rather a Buffalonian and a future canadian immigrant)

Go to Toronto. Nice sized city, lotsa money and opportunities for you.

Other places that I have looked at are Québec City, montréal, Trois-Rivières. all of those have a nice climate, plus the opportunity for what you need.

IF none of those suit you, then look west to Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, or any of the western cities. Vancouver inculded, but that might be a little warm for you.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »

Greetings, peacenprayer. I've lived in several parts of Canada and can share some thoughts with you! I lived for one year in northern Ontario  (North Bay) and am now in London, but have spent most of my life out west. I've lived in Courtenay (small city), Victoria (city), and Tofino (surf-side village), all on Vancouver Island, BC. The pros: interesting melting-pot culture, warm winters, the ocean, surfing (in Tofino), seals, old growth trees, etc. The cons: lots of rain, and it can be really expensive. I grew up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and it is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada right now, with a booming economy. Pros: unique prairie culture, beautiful river valley, extremely nice people, reasonable housing prices, JOBS. The cons: Freeeeezing cold winters, some racial conflict. I am strongly thinking of moving back there. I've also lived in Calgary, and it is big, fast, cold, and kind of treeless. Pros: Great skyline, okay economy, bustling, progressive, and an hour from great skiing. Cons: Cold (but not as cold as Saskatchewan), expensive housing, bad traffic. Now, my personal favorite place where I've lived in Canada is in the East Kootenays in BC, about 3 hours west of Calgary. I've lived in Fairmont (resort town), Invermere (lake side town), Windermere (lake side village), and Canal Flats (logging town), all in the same long, wide, gorgeous Columbia Valley, but every town from Golden to Creston is really nice. Pros: Most beautiful place on Earth, wildlife aplenty, ski hills and hot springs everywhere, lots of happy, friendly people, warm shallow lakes, international tourists and travelers. Cons: Expensive, a bit isolated, although the city of Cranbrook, just down the road, might be an option to look into. I would LOVE to move back there! Too bad my wife wouldn't... As for where I am now, London (Ontario) is a nice size and has great trees and parks, but the economy is pretty dead and the teaching market is horrible. I'm probably going to move again, too, if I can't find a teaching gig here soon. It all depends what you're looking for, I guess. Best of luck!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »

I've lived most of my life in southern Ontario. But I did spend ten years in Saskatchewan. The winters are cold and long - but if you're from northern Ontario, that isn't likely a problem for you. The Saskatchewan summers are glorious! Just a little too brief. The job market is excellent there. If I were younger, I'd probably move back, but right now, I don't think I could readjust to the winters. In fact, I'm trying to encourage my daughter and her husband (early 30s) to consider moving there. (She was born in Kindersley, my son in Estevan.)
peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »

Thanks for your replies!

So far I'm looking toward Saskatchewan. I'm not a stranger to racial tension coming from northern Ontario and cold isn't a problem. Heat is though. Humidity kills me. Last summer when I was in Peterborough, it was 47 degrees outside, 52 or something in Toronto. I like to walk, but spent my summer inside due to the dreaded humidity. Anywho, it's that or the eastern islands. I don't speak french (and apparently suck at learning languages) so I'm not welcomed in Quebec Tongue Thanks again.

Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »

Toronto is the pits with all the heat & humidity.  If I were you my first choice would be Saskatoon.  Never seen a more beautiful city.  Perfect weather.
Second choice Northern Alberta like Grand Prairie.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »

[Ignorant American question]

Wait, did you say Southern Ontario is too hot for you in the summers?  What is considered to be "too hot" in Canada???

[/ignorant American question]

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »

Wait, did you say Southern Ontario is too hot for you in the summers?  What is considered to be "too hot" in Canada???

I assume peacenprayer is talking Celsius above. If it was 52C in Toronto as the OP says it was, that's 126F. Too hot!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:25:59 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »

Thanks for your replies!

So far I'm looking toward Saskatchewan. I'm not a stranger to racial tension coming from northern Ontario and cold isn't a problem. Heat is though. Humidity kills me. Last summer when I was in Peterborough, it was 47 degrees outside, 52 or something in Toronto. I like to walk, but spent my summer inside due to the dreaded humidity. Anywho, it's that or the eastern islands. I don't speak french (and apparently suck at learning languages) so I'm not welcomed in Quebec Tongue Thanks again.

My recommendation: if you go to Saskatchewan, choose Saskatoon over Regina. It's a much nicer city. It can get really hot in Saskatoon in the summer, but it is a dry heat and therefore much more tolerable than the sticky southern Ontario heat. Who knows? Maybe I'll see you there!  Cheesy

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »

Wait, did you say Southern Ontario is too hot for you in the summers?  What is considered to be "too hot" in Canada???

I assume peacenprayer is talking Celsius above. If it was 52C in Toronto as the OP says it was, that's 126F. Too hot!

Peaceinprayer must be converting to Fahrenheit...the highest recorded temperature in Canada was 45C in 1937.

And...if a 52F temperature is too hot, well....maybe the Arctic Circle needs blacksmiths!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »

Oops, yeah i mean Celsius. I must not have my numbers right, but it was hot in Peterborough and hotter in Toronto. Its a bit of a system shock to change that much from northern Ontario to southern. Plus I'm on the north shore of Lake Superior which is a big air conditioner... that's always on... forever.

Whats northern Alberta like?

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »

On the Weather Network, they add something called a humidex, which shows us how hot it supposedly "feels like" with the extra humidity, and this is often much hotter than the recorded temps are. In that case, I think it could have "felt like" 52C with the humidex in Peterborough. 

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »

Oops, yeah i mean Celsius. I must not have my numbers right, but it was hot in Peterborough and hotter in Toronto. Its a bit of a system shock to change that much from northern Ontario to southern. Plus I'm on the north shore of Lake Superior which is a big air conditioner... that's always on... forever.

ahhh, i love lake effect soo much. it gets sooo windy in buffalo that a 25 degree day can feel like 20, and it is soooo nice.

anything about 30 is way too hot for me, just saying
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:48:08 PM by montalo » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »

Toronto is the pits with all the heat & humidity.  If I were you my first choice would be Saskatoon.  Never seen a more beautiful city.  Perfect weather.
Second choice Northern Alberta like Grand Prairie.

I lived just below International Falls MN for a short while. The next city up is Saskatoon.... Define perfect weather  Smiley

Ice fishing anyone? Cabin fever ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XEHwUBubk&feature=related

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 07:25:14 PM »

ahhh, i love lake effect soo much. it gets sooo windy in buffalo that a 25 degree day can feel like 20, and it is soooo nice.

anything about 30 is way too hot for me, just saying

went down to the beach yesterday just to watch the waves. I agree, 30 is too hot.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: