OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:09:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Parents...  (Read 1824 times) Average Rating: 0
Geoffrey
Christ's Servant

The Holy Trinity

« on: September 05, 2004, 05:07:36 PM »

Well, the church I visited last week is in the process of getting a new priest. That means setting up an appointment with a priest will probably have to wait for a while, but that's okay. I have a more pressing issue concerning me now; my parents. My mother is a Baptist and my father isn't really that religious. I don't know what they'll think about my decision to become an Orthodox Christian.

My main concern is transportation. I'm in a wheelchair, so there's really not any ways to get around besides my parents. I know that it would be pointless to argue with them and actively try to convert them, so I'm hoping to win them over by Christian example. I love both of them and I don't want to strain my relationship with them, but I'll do anything to become Orthodox.

Does anyone have some good advice for me? I'm in a very dificult situation.

Orthodox? Not me, I'm Roman Catholic...but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 05:35:14 PM »

Geoffrey,
All kinds of questions come to mind. But, first of all the best thing I did when I converted was to show a greater sense of caring and love for those in my immediate family.  None of mine or my wife's family are Orthodox.  I wouldnt argue about my new faith but I would discuss it if asked. To most people, Orthodox Christianity is completely unknown.  Some would believe that you have joined a cult.  What they dont know is that it is the original Christian church.  I suppose that you have at least read some books on the Orthodox Faith.  You mentioned that you need a wheelchair to get around.  Did you attend your first Liturgy on you own or was there someone with you?  We have volunteers who make available transportation to and from church for persons who are unable for whatever reasons to get there under normal circumstances.  Im sure that you will find similar assistance, if needed, at you new parish.

Breaking the news to your parents may not be as bad as you may think.  I broke the news by saying that I was starved for spirituality and wanted a more fuller form of worship.  And that the Orthodox faith afforded me all that I wanted in a religion.  I stated some history of the church and stressed the Nicean Creed and what it stood for.  Most of my family members really didnt care really.  They were just glad I finally chose a church to go to.  

JoeS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 06:54:28 PM »

Geoffrey,

My suggestion would be to slow down Smiley What I mean is, you're parents might have worries, and their worries will probably become worse if you go around saying that you want to join the Orthodox Church immediately. I don't know how your parents feel about the Virgin Mary, Icons, monasticism, and so forth, but it might be a good idea to let things progress slowly. I am not saying to curb your zeal (if it is well placed--a priest can help discern that Smiley ), all I'm saying is that it might worry your parents less if they see you exercizing caution and taking your time. As St, Gregory the Theologian said, well-reasoned caution is better than inconsiderate haste". May God bless you on your journey!

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Geoffrey
Christ's Servant

The Holy Trinity

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 11:48:29 PM »

Thank you all for your advice. I guess I forgot to give you an introduction of how I discovered Orthordoxy. I'm making a decision presented to me by God Himself, and I've thought long and hard about it. I feel that I've been led to Holy Orthodoxy by Christ Jesus.

Here is a link to a previous post that I've made. It should answer a lot of your questions. Sorry about being so blunt in my first post on this thread.

God bless all of you!

Orthodox? Not me, I'm Roman Catholic...but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 01:34:49 AM »

Well the Holy Spirit does work in ways we do not always understand...

Be patient.

Until you can meet with the priest in person...Might I suggest corresponding with one of the priests at www.oca.org.....you will get a response.

In the meantime I suggest:

Go to your local library or other suitable source and read all you can about Orthodoxy....You might also want to visit

www.frederica.com
Frederica Mathewes-Green is a convert who has written artciles and books on various Orthodox subjects.

Also try to obtain an Orthodox Prayer Book....Perhaps your enthusiasm will serve better when it is tempered with prayer....We Orthdox always strive for balance in our lives....Pray with prayers that have been offered for centuries by untold millions of Orthodox Christians....
Grigorii

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

St. Evagrios of Pontos

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 05:19:06 PM »

Dearest to Christ Geoffrey,

I agree with the advice allready given to you. Contacting a priest at the suggested site is a good idea. Try it I'de say.

I have been in a similar situation, and due to reasons of privacy I am reluctant to share this here in public. However, you may contact me privately if u wish and I will tell you how things went for me and perhaps my mistakes can be usefull to you to avoid making them yourself.

chotki@planet.nl

Just remember; Orthodoxy does not show in attempts to convert, or in succesfull debates, or any such thing. Orthodoxy shows in aquiring the Holy Spirit and in growing up in Christ. These things will show, and they will be testimony without words and arguments. Orthodoxy is a life in Christ, union with the Holy Trinity, and simply, humbly, living in an Orthodox way will be the most powerful and most convincing ' testimony'  of your faith that you can give.

Don't seek to talk about it, but speak of your faith when invited to. First make Orthodoxy yours,.. Take the time to learn to live in an Orthodox way. The rest will come,..

IC XC

Grigorii

If you have not yet received the charism of prayer or of psalmody, then ask perseveringly, and you will receive!

St. Evagrios of Pontos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: