Author Topic: Study shows Ethiopia has 10th largest Christian population in the world  (Read 734 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Global-Christianity-exec.aspx

A comprehensive demographic study of more than 200 countries finds that there are 2.18 billion Christians of all ages around the world, representing nearly a third of the estimated 2010 global population of 6.9 billion. Christians are also geographically widespread – so far-flung, in fact, that no single continent or region can indisputably claim to be the center of global Christianity.

A century ago, this was not the case. In 1910, about two-thirds of the world’s Christians lived in Europe, where the bulk of Christians had been for a millennium, according to historical estimates by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity.2 Today, only about a quarter of all Christians live in Europe (26%). A plurality – more than a third – now are in the Americas (37%). About one in every four Christians lives in sub-Saharan Africa (24%), and about one-in-eight is found in Asia and the Pacific (13%).

Almost half (48%) of all Christians live in the 10 countries with the largest number of Christians. Three of the top 10 countries are in the Americas (the United States, Brazil and Mexico). Two are in Europe (Russia and Germany), two are in the Asia-Pacific region (the Philippines and China), and three are in sub-Saharan Africa (Nigeria, Democratic Republic of the Congo and Ethiopia), reflecting Christianity’s global reach.

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
Re: Study shows Ethiopia has 10th largest Christian population in the world
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Currently, ONE IN FIFTEEN people alive on planet earth today are Ethiopian so this isn't exactly a surprising statistic ;)

By 2050 Ethiopia is predicted to be the 9th most populate country, because upwards of 60% if the current Ethiopian population is under 15.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »
On the right hand side of the report is a menu where you can click for more detailed reports.  The one on Orthodox Christianity includes the following:

Orthodox Christian

There are about 260 million Orthodox Christians, making up 12% of the global Christian population.

Nearly four-in-ten Orthodox Christians worldwide (39%) reside in Russia, the country with the largest number of Orthodox. Ethiopia has the second-largest number of Orthodox Christians and more than three times as many Orthodox as Greece. Although Turkey is the seat of the ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople, one of the highest archbishops in Orthodox Christianity (see Defining Christian Traditions for details), its Orthodox population is relatively small (about 180,000).

http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Global-Christianity-orthodox.aspx

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »
On the right hand side of the report is a menu where you can click for more detailed reports.  The one on Orthodox Christianity includes the following:

Orthodox Christian

There are about 260 million Orthodox Christians, making up 12% of the global Christian population.

Nearly four-in-ten Orthodox Christians worldwide (39%) reside in Russia, the country with the largest number of Orthodox. Ethiopia has the second-largest number of Orthodox Christians and more than three times as many Orthodox as Greece. Although Turkey is the seat of the ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople, one of the highest archbishops in Orthodox Christianity (see Defining Christian Traditions for details), its Orthodox population is relatively small (about 180,000).

http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Global-Christianity-orthodox.aspx
Much (most?) of that 180K is actually in Antioch, also occupied by the Turkish Republic at present.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:00:41 PM »
I love the figure for China. It is staggering.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
^^ Indeed, it is a wonderful thing to see.

May the Lord continue to add the number of Christians all over the world, and make them fruitful in the Holy Spirit. amen!
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »
^^ Indeed, it is a wonderful thing to see.

May the Lord continue to add the number of Christians all over the world, and make them fruitful in the Holy Spirit. amen!
If the figures hold up, it seems that the Christians have finally outnumbered the Muslims in Africa again for the first time in centuries.  Glory to God!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth