OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:31:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Ethiopian hymn?  (Read 739 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« on: December 19, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »

The stolen icon of Our Lady of Kozeltshan was returned to the Uspenski cathedral in a procession couple of months ago. Here is a short video about it.

To my pleasant suprise there seemed to be some Ethiopians (?) among the faithful singing a hymn in their own language. I wonder if anyone recognizes this hymn? The hymn starts at 03:50.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:48:10 AM »

It definitely seems like a mezmur.  Very beautiful. 

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »

Beautiful, honoring the Mother of God is an honor by itself and a great blessing for all! if you notice at the bottom of the icon on the left and right side there used to be bigger circles that look like bracelets, on them there were two Ethiopian gold crosses, so I am pretty sure there were Ethiopians visiting and venerating the icon before as well, but  I know from experience as far as Ethiopian Orthodox are concerned, hold an event in the Name of the Most Holy Theotokos and they are living close by, then they will count themselves invited!  Grin Here is the translation of what they were singing.

The first mezmur ..
 tenageru dinq sirawinem meskiru/2x/--- Tell and give testimony of His wondrous works,
 Te’amirun le alem negeru/2x/ ---- proclaim to the world, His Miraculous deeds,
 dinq sirawin meskiru/--- give your testimony of  His wondrous works

The second mezmur is taken from the song of mosses the great prophet and his sister Mary the prophetess after Israel saw the Lord’s Mighty hand and things he did…

Enamseginew/2x/ Egziabeheren / Let us sing to God in thanksgiving
Misgun new yetemesegene/2x/For he is glorious and is greatly glorified.

The Third mezmur

Des yibelen/2x/ amlak ale mehalachin / let us rejoice /2x/ For God is in our midst,
Min yikefel lezih sirah genana new amlak kibrih/ how can we repay you for this deed you have done for us, great is your glory our God.
Hatiyatihen yitagesihal/ He is patient of your sin
Becherent amlak yayihal/ He look upon you with mercy
Dingil maryam tiseleyalech / and the Virgin Mary Prays
Hatoun sawe  marew iyalech / saying ‘ Forgive the sinner’
Bedingil kibir enenoralen/ by the favor she has before Him
Betsinu fiqr and iyaderegen/we continue to live united in His unshakable love

selam to all angel

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

The stolen icon of Our Lady of Kozeltshan was returned to the Uspenski cathedral in a procession couple of months ago. Here is a short video about it.

To my pleasant suprise there seemed to be some Ethiopians (?) among the faithful singing a hymn in their own language. I wonder if anyone recognizes this hymn? The hymn starts at 03:50.
Excellent!  May our non-Chalcedonian brothers join us more around the world!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »

What's a mezmur in the Armenian Church? (I know in the Arabic Church, I'm wondering if it is the same).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »

Awesome! Thank you, Hiwot! Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »

Beautiful, honoring the Mother of God is an honor by itself and a great blessing for all! if you notice at the bottom of the icon on the left and right side there used to be bigger circles that look like bracelets, on them there were two Ethiopian gold crosses, so I am pretty sure there were Ethiopians visiting and venerating the icon before as well, but  I know from experience as far as Ethiopian Orthodox are concerned, hold an event in the Name of the Most Holy Theotokos and they are living close by, then they will count themselves invited!  Grin Here is the translation of what they were singing.

The first mezmur ..
 tenageru dinq sirawinem meskiru/2x/--- Tell and give testimony of His wondrous works,

The second mezmur is taken from the song of mosses the great prophet and his sister Mary the prophetess after Israel saw the Lord’s Mighty hand and things he did…

The Third mezmur

Des yibelen/2x/ amlak ale mehalachin / let us rejoice /2x/ For God is in our midst,
Min yikefel lezih sirah genana new amlak kibrih/ how can we repay you for this deed you have done for us, great is your glory our God.

selam to all angel

Very beautiful! Thank you for translating Hiwot.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »

What's a mezmur in the Armenian Church? (I know in the Arabic Church, I'm wondering if it is the same).

I got the word from the Ethiopians.  I think it means "psalm," in which case the Armenian word would be "saghamos."

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »

It definitely seems like a mezmur.  Very beautiful.  

I got the word from the Ethiopians.  I think it means "psalm," in which case the Armenian word would be "saghamos."
Ah. So it's not Armenian. Yes, in Arabic "mizmar" is a psalm among the Christians (the muslims say "zabur":the only quote in the Quran actually from the Bible is from the book of Psalms, Q 21:105 quoting Ps 36(37):29).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:11:10 PM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »

The first mezmur ..

The Third mezmur

selam to all angel
Beautiful, how appropriate! how simple, and yet profound!

Btw, Alpo, what was the first Church at the beginnng.  I've been there, but I don't remember the name, and don't know its connection to the icon. I definitely remember the climb up that hill to the Cathedral  Tongue (and seeing it coming into the harbor from Poland for the first time).

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »

Btw, Alpo, what was the first Church at the beginnng.  I've been there, but I don't remember the name, and don't know its connection to the icon.

I believe it's the Holy Trinity. It's part of the Finnish church but services there are mostly in Church Slavonic whereas Uspenski's services are in Finnish. It's located next to the big white Lutheran cathedral of Helsinki if you happen to remember that.

I don't think there is any specific connection to the icon. It's was just part of the icon's "pilgrimage" back to the Uspenski. The icon visited several several parishes and churches along it's way from (New) Valamo to Uspenski. When it came to my parish oen of the clergy said afterwards that he hadn't ever seen such a numerous crowd coming to a church just in order to venerate an icon.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:30:50 PM by Alpo » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »

Btw, Alpo, what was the first Church at the beginnng.  I've been there, but I don't remember the name, and don't know its connection to the icon.

I believe it's the Holy Trinity. It's part of the Finnish church but services there are mostly in Church Slavonic whereas Uspenski's services are in Finnish. It's located next to the big white Lutheran cathedral of Helsinki if you happen to remember that.
yes, I remember it.  Interesting:when I was in Finland (1987) IIRC Holy Trinity's services were in Finnish, and Uspenski was in Slavonic.
I don't think there is any specific connection to the icon. It's was just part of the icon's "pilgrimage" back to the Uspenski. The icon visited several several parishes and churches along it's way from (New) Valamo to Uspenski. When it came to my parish one of the clergy said afterwards that he hadn't ever seen such a numerous crowd coming to a church just in order to venerate an icon.
Hope it sets a trend. And then onto the DL.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:29:39 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 04:37:39 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201533376792829&set=vb.520350064643891&type=2&theater

Here is a video of HAH with some Ethiopian immigrants in Finland. I wonder what they are singing?

kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »

I got the word from the Ethiopians.  I think it means "psalm," in which case the Armenian word would be "saghamos."

Yup, it means "psalm," but it also denotes a genre of spiritual songs as well. (If I'm not mistaken anyways!)

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: