OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:49:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 or 4 sunday rule in Oriental Orthodoxy  (Read 632 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: December 18, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »

Do the Oriental Orthodox have a rule like the Eastern Orthodox that if you miss DL several Sundays in a row, you are excommunicated?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »

Although it's never a good idea to miss that many liturgies in a row, I've never heard of such a rule.  It just seems a little legalistic for the Armenian Church.

I don't know about the other OO Churches, though.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »

I wouldn't think that the Copts have this either, though I'm certainly no authority. Last weekend a man came to liturgy who apparently used to be there before I started attending, and everyone was just happy to see him. There were no questions as to where he'd been (and I couldn't make out what had happened, since he spoke only in Arabic). I guess he knew abouna personally, though, so maybe that's part of it. Maybe they spoke beforehand or something.

Still, yeah...it seems a little legalistic.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »

Apparently it's due to Canon 66 of the VI Ecumenical Council and Canon 72 of the Council of Carthage. Forgive my ignorance/forgetfulness, but do those councils apply to the Oriental Orthodox?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »

I wouldn't think that the Copts have this either, though I'm certainly no authority. Last weekend a man came to liturgy who apparently used to be there before I started attending, and everyone was just happy to see him. There were no questions as to where he'd been (and I couldn't make out what had happened, since he spoke only in Arabic). I guess he knew abouna personally, though, so maybe that's part of it. Maybe they spoke beforehand or something.

Still, yeah...it seems a little legalistic.
It is supposed to keep people at at least a base minimum.

In the case of the man, it could be very well that he hasn't been able to come (very often the case in too much of the West  Embarrassed).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »

Yeah, what little I could make out from the Arabic was something about traveling 6 hours, so...

And I don't mean to trash your rule or anything. It makes sense, it just doesn't seem in keeping with the attitude and approach that I've been exposed to since I began attending liturgy with the Copts.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »

Yeah, what little I could make out from the Arabic was something about traveling 6 hours, so...

And I don't mean to trash your rule or anything. It makes sense, it just doesn't seem in keeping with the attitude and approach that I've been exposed to since I began attending liturgy with the Copts.
I think it is more prevelent because most EO throughout history have been in a position to take Church for granted.  Most OO, not so much.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 11:36:20 PM »

Although it's never a good idea to miss that many liturgies in a row, I've never heard of such a rule.  It just seems a little legalistic for the Armenian Church.

I don't know about the other OO Churches, though.
It's a little too legalistic for me either, and that is why I had to ask.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:00:19 AM »

Apparently it's due to Canon 66 of the VI Ecumenical Council and Canon 72 of the Council of Carthage. Forgive my ignorance/forgetfulness, but do those councils apply to the Oriental Orthodox?

No.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:05:10 AM »

Come on, tell me which local OC actually enforces that canon? I know mine doesn't; even the clergy, most of them, are unaware of its existence.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:06:23 AM »

Come on, tell me which local OC actually enforces that canon? I know mine doesn't; even the clergy, most of them, are unaware of its existence.

If you know, you are responsible to act. If you submit, then you must be willing to obey.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:06:59 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: