OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:05:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adopt a man from Hell  (Read 1649 times) Average Rating: 0
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 18, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »

In Hell there are people without the possibility of doing good, of prayer. Adopt such a person and pray for him so that he can be baptized, communed and confessed if necessary and that his prayer to be heard by God, give alms in his name, and things like that including mentioning at Holy Liturgy. Amen.

Since everything that you do comes back at you, if you get to jail, God will find a way to give you back the good deed you will do.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »

Ummmmm   Huh

The Mormons have baptism of those who have died.

Does anyone else here on the forum recognize this as in anyway EO? 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:31:53 AM »

As usual, I'm confused by one of pasadi97's posts.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:37:18 AM »

Ummmmm   Huh

Honestly, Ebor? I have no real idea what Pasadi97 is talking about.  Huh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 01:40:47 AM »

Yeah, I expect someone in the OCA to speak American way better.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 03:06:40 AM »

what about women in hell?
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 03:18:02 AM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 03:21:15 AM »

i think you missed one...here you can have mine Huh
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:21:43 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 03:22:56 AM »

i think you missed one...here you can have mine Huh
Thank you.
 Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:23:24 AM by Gamliel » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 05:35:14 AM »

pasadi as usual is looking at things kind of legalistically but I think the idea of praying for some random deceased person is a good idea. It's what monastics do, isn't it?

I actually knew an Orthodox guy who even prayed for Hitler. I don't know if I could do that, honestly.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »

In Hell there are people without the possibility of doing good, of prayer. Adopt such a person and pray for him so that he can be baptized, communed and confessed if necessary and that his prayer to be heard by God, give alms in his name, and things like that including mentioning at Holy Liturgy. Amen.

Since everything that you do comes back at you, if you get to jail, God will find a way to give you back the good deed you will do.

The Church clearly teaches that there are no sacraments for the dead. We are not Mormons.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arnI

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »

Seems to me that he is saying to pray for someone before this life on earth is ended. In other words, I understood OP as saying to adopt someone that seems destined for eternal damnation.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »

Exactly. I refuse to believe that all muslims, jews, protestants that renounced baptism or even other people, Protestant children that died before being baptized because of adoption of falsehood instead of truth , that all are Hitler.

And in Eastern Orthodox Christianity, the most powerful religion on Earth we can help them dearly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:34:12 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »

I'm glad you want us to pray for those in danger or for those who are departed, if that is what you mean.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »

Seems to me that he is saying to pray for someone before this life on earth is ended. In other words, I understood OP as saying to adopt someone that seems destined for eternal damnation.

It read to me to be about people who are already dead and that they were get the sacraments somehow then

And the statement that Protestants "renounced baptism" is not true unless the OP is thinking of some particular group in which case it would be helpful if that were explained. 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:32:06 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »

It read to me to be about people who are already dead....
...already dead in their sins?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

pasadi as usual is looking at things kind of legalistically but I think the idea of praying for some random deceased person is a good idea. It's what monastics do, isn't it?

I actually knew an Orthodox guy who even prayed for Hitler. I don't know if I could do that, honestly.

Anglicans also have prayers for those who have passed away, fyi, so that idea is not strange.  It's the posthumous sacraments that are something that I have not come across at all in many years of knowing people who are EO so therefore I had/have strong doubts
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:35:14 AM by Ebor » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

Anglicans also have prayers for those who have passed away, fyi, so that idea is not strange.  It's the posthumous sacraments that are something that I have not come across at all in many years of knowing people who are EO so therefore I had/have strong doubts

such is strictly forbidden.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »

Why you all don't get pasadi's point, I really don't know.

No sarcasm. We pray for the departed regardless of their standing in the Church.

Pasadi I think has quite an endearing and touching way, and you could almost say parabolic at times, of expressing truths held by Orthodoxy.

How this is not understood by most, I have no idea.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 05:29:06 PM »

Ummmmm   Huh

He is not talking about sacraments done for the dead. Pasadi is saying that, through the prayers of the church, Christ the Great High Priest has mercy on the departed and can bring them into His flock even after the first death, if He so chooses.

Which is definitely EO.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 05:35:52 PM »

Ummmmm   Huh

He is not talking about sacraments done for the dead  Pasadi is saying that, through the prayers of the church, Christ the Great High Priest has mercy on the departed and can bring them into His flock even after the first death, if He so chooses.

Which is definitely EO.

That's what I understood too (with regards to baptism; services for the dead are common too, and remembrance of the dead is included in Divine Liturgy, so that Sacrament can be said to be "done for the dead"). And giving alms in the name of the dead is an Orthodox practice too - usually to the Church but also to the poor and needy. There is the baking of St Phanourios bread, given to the poor, which is done in honour of his unbelieving mother.

http://www.orthodox.net/recipes/st-phanourios-story-prayer-to-bread-recipes.html
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:38:40 PM by J.M.C » Logged

IC XC
NI KA
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

Adpot a man from Hell on the Airbus. Passport to Heaven required.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »

Ummmmm   Huh

He is not talking about sacraments done for the dead. Pasadi is saying that, through the prayers of the church, Christ the Great High Priest has mercy on the departed and can bring them into His flock even after the first death, if He so chooses.

Which is definitely EO.

If that is what he means, I definitely get it and applaud it. But I do have trouble with his terminology in most of his posts. Perhaps, it's a British English/American English thing.  Wink

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »

Ummmmm   Huh

Which is definitely EO.

If that is what he means, I definitely get it and applaud it. But I do have trouble with his terminology in most of his posts. Perhaps, it's a British English/American English thing.  Wink

I think it might be a Pasadi / English thing. I love Pasadi, thus I have learned to read it fluently.

pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »

Game rules:
1.Your prayers are heard as long as you live. Once one dies and if he goes to Hell then he can not do much about himself and his condition depending a lot on people on Earth
2.Until the last judgement, God has mercy and people can be saved from Hell, even the people that are now temporaly in Hell. The judgement until last judgement is temporary and can be overturned either way either by the effects of one's deeds in the future or by effect of humanity or other living people that can pray for these departed. For example if anyone went to Hell however he did built a well and people could get water for free even after his death, he can be saved by the efects of this deed even if at the partciular judgement he was sent to Hell. Or if anyobody prays for somebody in Hell, the one in Hell may be saved. For example one may pray to Jesus to baptize and commune and confess somebody from Hell so the one in Hell may be saved.
3.People on Earth can pray for people in Hell in their names and these prayers are like the people in Hell did pray. After Jesus did come people can pray for departed people and can ask God to see them and their condition and these prayers are answered.
4.Nobody should be left behind.
5.Things can be transfered in after life by giving them to the poor. Also things can be give to the poor in the name of departed and will count as the departed gave them. The story abpout St Phanorious mother really makes the point and I did like it http://www.orthodox.net/recipes/st-phanourios-story-prayer-to-bread-recipes.html  There are other stories as well that can teach us a bunch.
6.Some Eastern Orthodox people can see and speak with God from this life so they can ask about this issue.
7.The law of God say that whatever you do to your neighbour this is what you get so if you fight for a man in prison Hell, if in prison yourself, you can get help on the account of the law.
8.The things we don't know, we don't know so through prayer we may find FROM GOD important info that can save these in Hell

Q: KNOWING ABOVE RULES, and using game theory and other sciences and mostly prayers and asking God, how can we maximize the number of people, sick angels saved even from future, present and past. Or from other Creations.

Anyone who could solve this problem, would be great in regards with Heavens and after death.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:09:28 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »

Ummmmm   Huh

Which is definitely EO.

I think it might be a Pasadi / English thing. I love Pasadi, thus I have learned to read it fluently.

Yeah, he seems a sweet guy, but as confusing to me as all heck!  laugh Clearly, I need to think more laterally!

Sorry, that I didn't get your point, Pasadi!  Embarrassed

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »

How much per day is the long-term parking lot?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »

Q: using game theory and other sciences and mostly prayers and asking God, how can we maximize the number of people saved even from future, present and past.

Well, I have this, probably silly to a lot of people, habit of praying for everyone in history as I come across them in books, documentaries, films. It's kind of automatic, but not without honest feeling, I believe.

When touring museums, archaeological sites, I often pray for the people who owned the objects on display, or lived in the places I visit. Weird to some, I'm sure, but this is something I have done since converting to Orthodoxy.

And if I hear someone has died on the news, I'll do the same thing. I might do it the once, or I might continue it for a few times. For instance, Christopher Hitchens has been much on my mind the past few days, so I have kind of offered thoughts focused on him as prayers, if that makes sense. A bit of Riddikulus/English there.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:05:02 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

Thank you guys for your support. May God bless everyone.

About praying for everyone there is a story. An old priest was praying for everyone and as this was the custom on his life, he was going to a public bath. There he was praying for former owner of that bath, at his time dead, that donated the bath for public use.

Every time he was praying, a young man would come and serve him. He felt do pleased that he asked this young man how he could repay him and if giving him some food would help. The young man responded he is from hell and he needs no drink or food and that he wants to ask for 40 Holy liturgies to be performed for his soul and that this would help him go to Heaven. The old priest did so and the young man appeared to him in his way to Heaven.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »

Jesus is the passport -- all you need is wings

#humour alert
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:15:16 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »

Dingdingding! We have a winner.  Smiley angel

Kaste
Site Supporter

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: member of the Invisible Church

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 08:54:15 PM »

2.Until the last judgement, God has mercy and people can be saved from Hell, even the people that are now temporaly in Hell. The judgement until last judgement is temporary and can be overturned either way either by the effects of one's deeds in the future or by effect of humanity or other living people that can pray for these departed. For example if anyone went to Hell however he did built a well and people could get water for free even after his death, he can be saved by the efects of this deed even if at the partciular judgement he was sent to Hell. Or if anyobody prays for somebody in Hell, the one in Hell may be saved. For example one may pray to Jesus to baptize and commune and confess somebody from Hell so the one in Hell may be saved.

Where does Orthodoxy teach Hell is only temporary? 

Does not Orthodoxy state that the first judgment immediately after death is eternal? 

K
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »

Does not Orthodoxy state that the first judgment immediately after death is eternal? 

K

No. YMMV.

Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »

Fountain Pen

People have been known to jump from great heights convinced they can fly because they have the wings only.

As I've discovered, the wings only come with.

~ Dyhn :~)
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 04:17:02 AM »

Fountain Pen

People have been known to jump from great heights convinced they can fly because they have the wings only.

As I've discovered, the wings only come with.

~ Dyhn :~)

The Holy Spirit is not only active within the confines of the complete church -- and this is off topic.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »

Is it too late to pray for Kim Jong Il?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 08:45:15 AM »

Jesus is the passport -- all you need is wings

#humour alert

It that a pasdaistic parable? Paging orthonorm...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »

Is it too late to pray for Kim Jong Il?
Might be. It's between him and God. It might be too late to pray for some who are still with us. But it's good to anyway, since you never know.

We do know for sure though, that if there is any hope left for him God will make it happen.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:36:19 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 01:42:56 PM »

K

nope its called particular judgment, and you get a forestate of your final state. the final judgment is where the deal is sealed.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: