OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:47:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Dec. 25, Atheists celebrate a different birthday  (Read 529 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 17, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »

(RNS) Deck those halls with boughs of apples and top that tree with a finger puppet of Sir Isaac Newton.

At least that’s what Robin Zebrowski does at her home in Beloit, Wis., where she and her husband, Joshua, observe the birthday of the great 17th-century English scientist and mathematician, Dec. 25, 1642. [Newton’s birthday falls on Dec. 25 only by the Julian calendar, which was in use in England at the time of his birth. By the current (Gregorian) calendar, he was actually born on Jan. 4.]

They send cards featuring a bust of the great man (inside reads: “Reasons Greetings!”), and exchange gifts that emphasize science and knowledge, including books and other “nerdy” things, Zebrowski said.

On Dec. 24, the couple and their two cats leave a plate for Newton’s ghost with an apple and a CD mix.

“My husband speculated that if Newton were really taking the place of Santa, he’d probably just rent a Prius, being environmentally conscious and unlucky enough to know that reindeer can’t fly,” said Zebrowski, 36. “Stupid gravity! We make him a mix CD each year to entertain him.”

Merry Newtonmas, everyone!

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »

To each their own.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »

To each their own.
True, but funny how they seem to ignore Newton's deep interest in alchemy and biblical prophecy.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »

To each their own.
True, but funny how they seem to ignore Newton's deep interest in alchemy and biblical prophecy.

I guess we all can be blind to what we don't want to see.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »

"A holiday for the rest of us"...yeah, because Christmas in the USA is such an ultra-religious imposition on you people. It's not primarily an excuse to eat too much and go to the mall. What freaking planet are these people living on? If any of my irreligious friends ever sent me a Newton "Reason's Greetings" card, they would find themselves subscribed to The Watchtower immediately.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:57:01 PM »

^^ laugh

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »

"Pray God us keep
From Single vision & Newton's sleep!" - William Blake

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »

[Newton’s birthday falls on Dec. 25 only by the Julian calendar, which was in use in England at the time of his birth. By the current (Gregorian) calendar, he was actually born on Jan. 4.]

The Gregorian equivalent of the Julian December 25 is January 7, not January 4.

FAIL!  Shocked laugh
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:18 PM »

[Newton’s birthday falls on Dec. 25 only by the Julian calendar, which was in use in England at the time of his birth. By the current (Gregorian) calendar, he was actually born on Jan. 4.]

FAIL!  Shocked laugh

They should have said "Gregorian calendar if accounted for at the time," as at the time when Newton was born, Dec 25 New calendar actually did fall on January 4 OC.  It has only subsequently receded to the 5th, 6th, and 7th in ensuing centuries.   At the end of this century it will be January 8
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »

"Pray God us keep
From Single vision & Newton's sleep!" - William Blake

"Nature and Nature's Laws lay hid in Night.
God said, "Let Newton Be!", and all was Light" -- Alexander Pope
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:28:16 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 01:41:32 AM »

FAIL!  Shocked laugh

They should have said "Gregorian calendar if accounted for at the time," as at the time when Newton was born, Dec 25 New calendar actually did fall on January 4 OC.  It has only subsequently receded to the 5th, 6th, and 7th in ensuing centuries.   At the end of this century it will be January 8
My birthday! (and Elvis).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »

(RNS) Deck those halls with boughs of apples and top that tree with a finger puppet of Sir Isaac Newton.

At least that’s what Robin Zebrowski does at her home in Beloit, Wis., where she and her husband, Joshua, observe the birthday of the great 17th-century English scientist and mathematician, Dec. 25, 1642. [Newton’s birthday falls on Dec. 25 only by the Julian calendar, which was in use in England at the time of his birth. By the current (Gregorian) calendar, he was actually born on Jan. 4.]

They send cards featuring a bust of the great man (inside reads: “Reasons Greetings!”), and exchange gifts that emphasize science and knowledge, including books and other “nerdy” things, Zebrowski said.

On Dec. 24, the couple and their two cats leave a plate for Newton’s ghost with an apple and a CD mix.

“My husband speculated that if Newton were really taking the place of Santa, he’d probably just rent a Prius, being environmentally conscious and unlucky enough to know that reindeer can’t fly,” said Zebrowski, 36. “Stupid gravity! We make him a mix CD each year to entertain him.”

Merry Newtonmas, everyone!

here I thought they were celebrating Jinnah's birthday with the Pakistanis.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: