OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 02:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notorious Atheist Christopher Hitchens Dies  (Read 4103 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: December 16, 2011, 04:04:03 AM »

I always enjoyed Christopher Hitchens, as wrong as he was. He had a great sense of humor and was one of the few public figures who actually formulated his own opinions rather than following the status quo of any particular movement. A darling of the political left for decades, he alienated his liberal comrades with his wholehearted support of the war in Iraq. He explained his support for George Bush's wars by assessing them as a battle between secularism and theocracy, and in my opinion his assessment was spot on.

Apparrently he maintained his atheistic convictions to his dying breath.

May God have mercy on his soul.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/christopher-hitchens-controversial-author-television-personality-dies/story?id=13214700

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:07:01 AM »

This is the first I'm hearing of this.

May he rest in peace.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »

I agree with you Gebre, he was one of the greats; a true iconoclast in every way.
His memoir, Hitch-22, was fantastic. He was battling cancer for quite some time & I hope somehow he found his peace with The Lord.

Maybe instead of St. Peter at the pearly Gates, he'd be greeted by Mother Teresa.  I jest.   Cheesy

Memory eternal.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:36:44 AM by CoptoGeek » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »

He explained his support for George Bush's wars by assessing them as a battle between secularism and theocracy, and in my opinion his assessment was spot on.

Eh?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:59:51 AM »

He explained his support for George Bush's wars by assessing them as a battle between secularism and theocracy, and in my opinion his assessment was spot on.

Eh?
yes, utter nonsense: were it not for the theocracy of al-Sistani, Iraq would have devolved into utter chaos after the removal of the secularist Saddam.

As to the OP, more appropriate to say "Lord have mercy!" than "Memory Eternal!"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:00:32 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 09:13:22 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 09:31:44 AM »

Yes, you're right. Was going change that, but I know he had a number of Christian friends and hoped his heart finally turned. 

Thanks for the correction.

Indeed Lord, have mercy!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »

Eh?
yes, utter nonsense: were it not for the theocracy of al-Sistani, Iraq would have devolved into utter chaos after the removal of the secularist Saddam.

Actually, he was chrismated Orthodox so he could marry his first wife.  It's not much, but it's something.

If he did change his mind even just a little, he probably didn't say anything about it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:38:49 AM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »

Eh?

Notice the plural "wars."

And yes, I did say "May God have mercy on his soul" in my OP rather than Memory Eternal.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »

Well, isn't he surprised today!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:54:17 AM »

Quote from: Orual
Actually, he was chrismated Orthodox so he could marry his first wife.  It's not much, but it's something.

If he did change his mind even just a little, he probably didn't say anything about it.

No kidding? I hope he thought about it more.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »

Having read Hitchens since his days at The Nation, I always liked the guy in an odd way.

He went nutz over the War in the Gulf stuff, but manned up to get watered boarded came down hard on using it as a tool for interrogation and said without a doubt it was torture.

Lord have mercy on him.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »

Although I strongly disagreed with his recent views on American foreign policy, I always enjoyed reading and listening to his stuff. God forgive him and give him rest.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

May the Lord have mercy on him.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »

What a terrible way to learn how wrong you were.....Lord have mercy.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »

I'm embarrassed to admit, I have no idea who this guy is.  Huh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »

I've encountered people who have told me that they identify as anti-theists and atheists because of him.

May God forgive him for those he has caused to fall away and have mercy upon him.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »

He was Chrismated in the Orthodox Church to marry his first wife?  Details, please.  Anything you could add, period of time, location, his previous faith, who is (was) his wife?

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »

He was Chrismated in the Orthodox Church to marry his first wife?  Details, please.  Anything you could add, period of time, location, his previous faith, who is (was) his wife?

According to the wiki page on Hitch:
Hitchens married Eleni Meleagrou, a Greek Cypriot, in 1981. They have two children, Alexander and Sophia. In 1989 Hitchens left Meleagrou for Carol Blue, an American writer.[34] They have one daughter, Antonia.

And this article from New York Magazine has some thoughts from her on their relationship.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:39:21 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »

He was Chrismated in the Orthodox Church to marry his first wife?  Details, please.  Anything you could add, period of time, location, his previous faith, who is (was) his wife?

I think he was part of the Church of England.  His brother, Peter, is also a writer and a Christian.  I remember reading an article about a year ago about Peter's relationship with his famous atheist brother.

modified to add:

Here's the article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255983/How-I-God-peace-atheist-brother-PETER-HITCHENS-traces-journey-Christianity.html

While I was making my gradual, hesitant way back to the altar-rail, my brother Christopher's passion against God grew more virulent and confident.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:53:20 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »

As a bit of a follow-up to my previous post.  His brother has written this today:

We both knew it was the last time we would see each other, though being Englishmen of a certain generation, neither of us would have dreamed of actually saying so. We parted on good terms, though our conversation had been (as had our e-mail correspondence for some months) cautious and confined to subjects that would not easily lead to conflict. In this I think we were a little like chess-players, working out many possible moves in advance, neither of us wanting any more quarrels of any kind.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2075133/Christopher-Hitchens-death-In-Memoriam-courageous-sibling-Peter-Hitchens.html#ixzz1gjLtsZqA
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »

May God have mercy on his soul. +++

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »

A tragic life.  Lord have mercy. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 05:40:01 PM »

He's dead...no more surprises. The computer that was his brain is rotting away and no longer capable of computation and thus no longer capable of realization, understanding, or surprise. It's the fate that awaits us all. Wink

His intellect may be missed, but he knew that the hear and now is all there is to our existence, he lived life to its fullest, and he took no half measures, in the end that's all we can ask out of life.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »

He's dead...no more surprises. The computer that was his brain is rotting away and no longer capable of computation and thus no longer capable of realization, understanding, or surprise. It's the fate that awaits us all. Wink
We'll see wont we?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »

We'll see wont we?

PP

Probably not, since we'll no longer be capable of 'seeing' when the time comes. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »

Alright, take it outside, math boy...

May God have mercy on the soul of Mr. Hitchens, and on his grieving family. I lost my own mother to cancer 15 years ago. It is a horrible experience that no one should have to go through, no matter what their beliefs are.

J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »

Whatever his fate, I suppose at least now he will have no objection to anyone praying for him.

Lord have mercy

IC XC
NI KA
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »

I very much enjoyed Christopher Hitchens' wit and humour. The world will be less interesting without him.

His intellect may be missed, but he knew believed that the hear and now is all there is to our existence...

Lord be merciful!

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »

There goes a man whom I doubt even the Devil would dare to acuse as a coward and a hypocrit, the two acusations that will rightfuly be instore for me along with many other ones  when its my turn to go and meet my maker.

+++Most merciful, loving and compassionate Lord Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, the multitude of your mercy is not appointed for the righteous but for those like me who are sinners, for the sin we have committed are more in number than the sand of the sea, and if you O LORD kept a record of sins, O lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, Have mercy on the work of your hands; For though he may have lost his faith in you, you have not lost your love for him. forgive all his transgressions and embrace his soul with your infinite Love, and welcome him to your Peace. For with you all things are possible Amen.+++

May the Lord comfort his family and his loved ones and give them peace. Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »

Is it just inferred that because she was Greek and they married that he was chrismated, or is there corroboration somewhere? I read the linked story and couldn't find anything.

Brilliant man, will be greatly missed. There was a well-done documentary film about Hitchens and evangelical pastor Douglas Wilson called "Collision" about the debate tour they did together. Highly recommended.
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »

His intellect may be missed, but he knew that the hear and now is all there is to our existence, he lived life to its fullest, and he took no half measures, in the end that's all we can ask out of life.

What's with this "we" Kemosabe?  Huh That may be all that "you" ask out of life  Wink, but please leave "we" out of it.  Smiley 
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:58 PM »

I respected that he had the integrity to debate his intellectual counterparts, such as William F. Buckley, unlike the Bill Maher's of the world who make a living by cowardly attacking straw men.

Selam

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:44 PM »

I will NEVER understand Bill Maher's appeal. He is a joke. A horrible stand up. A worse B movie actor.

Why people think the guy is edgy, I will never know.

The TWO times he ever said something with a hint of edge, he cried crocodile tears afterward and gave a mea culpa.

Politically Incorrect my ([redacted comments about the rules governing the use language on the forum to suggest the word I was going to use]).

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »

Lord, you are a merciful God. Have mercy on this man, and forgive his sins; a man who is no more flawed than I who claim faith in You. If it be possible, may his memory be eternal.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:35:05 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »

Is it just inferred that because she was Greek and they married that he was chrismated, or is there corroboration somewhere? I read the linked story and couldn't find anything.

Brilliant man, will be greatly missed. There was a well-done documentary film about Hitchens and evangelical pastor Douglas Wilson called "Collision" about the debate tour they did together. Highly recommended.

He wrote about his chrismation in the "God is ... Great" book.  (I left out a word of the title because I don't like writing the whole thing for obvious reasons.)

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 03:24:01 AM »

I'm going to stir the pot a bit.

For starters, I'm glad he's gone. He was a drunken, genocidal coward, a self-aggrandizing misogynistic idiot, a callous ends-justify-the-means imperialist, a neoconservative shill who eagerly abandoned his intellectual principles whenever they came into conflict with his all-pervasive hatred of Islam and Muslims, and a smirking, self-congratulatory sexist. The world is better off without men like him in it.

Hitchens, who conclusively proves, as if it needed more any more evidence in its favor, that Americans will assume intelligence on the part of anything with a British accent, given the ferver with which people accepted his self-righteous posturing as intelligent thought. He constantly celebrated the deaths of others and bad-mouthed the recently-deceased. He made a point of it. He argued that offense was a completely meaningless concept and only hurts robust discussion. Anyone getting pious over this is being self-serving as all gently caress.

And yet I haven't even delved into his atheist rhetoric which had the depth of a children's swimming pool. He constantly railed against religion without even the slightest comprehension on the basic tenets of each faith. Young impressionable atheists were ever so swept by his false grandeur of logic and reason. In fact Hitchens may be the single reason why atheism has a worse reputation. Him and Dawkins both were/are exceptionally rude about there not being a god to the point of being obnoxious about it.

Good riddance.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011, 05:45:53 AM »

Thank you Schultz, Reply No. 18, and Orual, Reply No. 35 for this information.

My memory has been refreshed.  I think I initially came across this guy reading something years ago about the Turkish occupation of Cyprus.  It was supporting of the Greek Cypriot position on this matter, and someone told me that Hitchens was either "Greek," or "Orthodox," I can't remember which.  However, whenever I read any of his other material or heard him speak, particularly about religion, I figured I had been misinformed, the guy is certainly not Orthodox, and doesn't reveal anything that would lead me to believe he was Greek.  But your information explains his Greek connection and why he could be mistaken for being Orthodox, and perhaps, in name only, he was when he was married to his first wife.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:47:59 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »

Humanity is an army. Our MOtto should be, nobody and no one should be left behind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:00:27 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Protestant, for now...

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 09:21:35 AM »

I'm going to stir the pot a bit.

For starters, I'm glad he's gone. He was a drunken, genocidal coward, a self-aggrandizing misogynistic idiot, a callous ends-justify-the-means imperialist, a neoconservative shill who eagerly abandoned his intellectual principles whenever they came into conflict with his all-pervasive hatred of Islam and Muslims, and a smirking, self-congratulatory sexist. The world is better off without men like him in it.

Hitchens, who conclusively proves, as if it needed more any more evidence in its favor, that Americans will assume intelligence on the part of anything with a British accent, given the ferver with which people accepted his self-righteous posturing as intelligent thought. He constantly celebrated the deaths of others and bad-mouthed the recently-deceased. He made a point of it. He argued that offense was a completely meaningless concept and only hurts robust discussion. Anyone getting pious over this is being self-serving as all gently caress.

And yet I haven't even delved into his atheist rhetoric which had the depth of a children's swimming pool. He constantly railed against religion without even the slightest comprehension on the basic tenets of each faith. Young impressionable atheists were ever so swept by his false grandeur of logic and reason. In fact Hitchens may be the single reason why atheism has a worse reputation. Him and Dawkins both were/are exceptionally rude about there not being a god to the point of being obnoxious about it.

Good riddance.
I'm glad you're here to show us how much better than God we can be by rejoicing in the death of some men but not all.

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »

*Edited Lips Sealed

He constantly celebrated the deaths of others and bad-mouthed the recently-deceased. He made a point of it.

Isn't this exactly what you are doing?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:13:25 AM by stavros_388 » Logged

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »

I will NEVER understand Bill Maher's appeal. He is a joke. A horrible stand up. A worse B movie actor.

The TWO times he ever said something with a hint of edge, he cried crocodile tears afterward and gave a mea culpa.

Politically Incorrect my ([redacted comments about the rules governing the use language on the forum to suggest the word I was going to use]).

God bless you. He's probably the most obnoxious man on television, and wholly incapable of wit. I can't remember a single thing he said that even made me crack a smile.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

God bless you. He's probably the most obnoxious man on television, and wholly incapable of wit. I can't remember a single thing he said that even made me crack a smile.

Well compliments will get you everywhere.

Is this your formulation?

Christianity is a polyglot with a Semitic heart and a Greek mind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:49:18 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »

Is this your formulation?

Christianity is a polyglot with a Semitic heart and a Greek mind.

Could you tell from the way it didn't quite match the beauty and profundity of the quote above it?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »

Agreed brother.

Selam

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: