OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:39:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Crosses Blessed in the Coptic Church  (Read 783 times) Average Rating: 0
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« on: December 15, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »

Do we get things such as crosses, religious medals, icons, etc. blessed in the Coptic Orthodox Church? I recall reading that only icons for parishes are blessed. What about neck crosses?

Salaam leekum!
zekarja

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »

My priest told me today that things such as crosses, religious medals, icons, etc. are not blessed in the Coptic Church.

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 03:21:42 PM »

They surely are. They are not consecrated however for personal use. At the last liturgy I blessed a prayer rope for one of my congregation and I often bless icons for domestic use.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »

They surely are. They are not consecrated however for personal use. At the last liturgy I blessed a prayer rope for one of my congregation and I often bless icons for domestic use.

Really! My priest, unfortunately, has never heard of it. If I'm ever in the UK, i'll have to stop by. Cool

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »

I am very surprised? I would expect all priests in all places to always be blessing things. It is not difficult and just requires a prayer blessing the object for its use. Cars are blessed, homes are blessed, anything appropriate can and should be blessed.

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »

I agree! I explained to him the the EO's bless and sprinkle holy water on the object and he said that the Coptic Church doesn't do that. Huh

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »

i agree with father peter.
maybe he thinks u want to consecrate it like the icons in the church? that's different than blessing things.
ask him if he blesses cars and houses (nearly everyone does) and take it from there.
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:24:29 PM »

Thanks, mabsoota! Might try that.

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »

What does it mean for them to be blessed?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »

I am very surprised? I would expect all priests in all places to always be blessing things. It is not difficult and just requires a prayer blessing the object for its use. Cars are blessed, homes are blessed, anything appropriate can and should be blessed.

When I was given an icon as a gift at my baptism I asked my priest to bless it since that's what I was used to, and he told me that we don't to that. He said that only the icons in the Church are blessed, and only by a bishop, not by a priest... Obviously that would be consecrated the way most people talk about it, but there doesn't seem to be a concept of a lesser blessing for personal use like other traditions have. It seemed strange to me, but as far as I'm concerned if an icon is made properly, and used properly, it's still holy even if a priest hasn't prayed over it... I really do like the EO tradition of placing it on the altar more, but oh well.

I have heard of some people having a bishop come to their house and consecrate their home icons with myroun. Our main icons are a gift from a priest who used to be EO that he used in his home for years, so the best of bost worlds.

The Coptic Church doesn't even seem to have a service for blessing a house. My priest composed one, and a neighbouring bishop adopted it. I wonder what the historical practice was in this regard?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:01:13 PM by Jonathan » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 04:49:34 AM »

There is a Coptic house blessing service. It is in one of the service books.

In my own use we modify it, but there is certainly a Coptic service for it.

I am 100% sure that the Coptic tradition has the blessing of objects. It seems inconceivable that it should not. It would need some research of course. I think there seems to be a confusion over blessing and consecrating and a hesitation to do anything that looks like consecration.

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 12:19:27 PM »

That's interesting. What is the order of the service like? It seems strange that a new one was composed if there is one...

When my priest blessed our house in university, he just said the prayer of thanksgiving, then said "In the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. One God. Amen. Blessed be God the Father...", signed the water, blew on it, and then hand to us to sprinkle around the house later. It took less than a minute. My Catholic room mates asked if the house was really blessed now. They were expecting something a bit longer after seeing our Liturgy... Smiley Later, when he blessed my house after I was married, he used the 10 min service he composed.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »

yes, jonathan, this is what we do to bless something.
not everything in the orthodox church takes a long time.
 Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: