OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 06:07:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quoute From The Koran 9:11 (Note the verse number)  (Read 1159 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: September 03, 2004, 04:37:11 PM »

>The following verse is from the Koran, (the Islamic Bible)
>
>Koran (9:11) - For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a
>fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there was peace.
>
>(Note the verse number!) Hmmmmmmm?!

========

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 05:44:35 PM »

Sorry, when ever I hear or read something that is amazing or terribly coincidental like this I get *really* dubious and get the urge to look it up. Even if one disagrees with someone, one has to be fair and truthful when quoting them or saying what they believe.

This passage quoted is NOT a quote from the Quran.  Where did this posting cited orginate?  And why was it sent out with such a checkable falsehood, I wonder.

Anyway, the 9th book of the Quran is "AL-TAWBA" (Repentance, Dispensation). There are various English translations of the Quran, the one I have as a reference is by Pickthal.  Here are 3 translations of the 11th verse that I found on-line:

YUSUFALI: But (even so), if they repent, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity,- they are your brethren in Faith: (thus) do We explain the Signs in detail, for those who understand.
PICKTHAL: But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then are they your brethren in religion. We detail Our revelations for a people who have knowledge.
SHAKIR: But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, they are your brethren in faith; and We make the communications clear for a people who know.

The chapter can be found here:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/009.qmt.html

Not meaning to offend you, Orthodoc. Just wanted to be accurate.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 06:02:08 PM »

[Not meaning to offend you, Orthodoc. Just wanted to be accurate.

Ebor]

No offense taken.  I was something sent to me that I passed on.  I do not have a copy of the Quran.  Thanks for the correction.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 06:27:16 PM »

I have copies of a number of works for reference purposes like the Quran and the Mormon books (and some REALLY peculiar ones.) as one ought to be honest and fair even with those one disagrees with.  Also, I can be prepared if such people try to convince me that they are correct.

The post you were sent just read as way TOO coincidental. (Coincidences do happen, but not all reports are really true.)  Also, there was a matter of the style of writing (though translations are tricky) and that that it traveled by 'net.  It had the earmarks of "Urban Legend".  So it was research time.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 06:33:55 PM »

Hello, everyone.  Long-time listener, first-time caller.

This "quote" sounded very familiar, so I checked www.snopes.com.  It has been circulating on the Web for well over a year now.  See http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/quran.asp.

We now return to our irregularly scheduled lurking.  Grin

Brett John
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 07:00:31 PM by BJohnD » Logged
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 06:57:49 PM »

>The following verse is from the Koran, (the Islamic Bible)
>
>Koran (9:11) - For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a
>fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there was peace.
>
>(Note the verse number!) Hmmmmmmm?!
========
Orthodoc

Orthodoc,
the eagle mentioned here is clearly the Polish eagle. Also do you know what happened on the 11th of September,1683? The Poles slaughtered the Turks by VIenna. 15,000 Turks were killed by the Poles compared to the 4,000 Poles and Germans.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 07:07:35 PM »

Given that much of the rest of the world would write a date as "11/09/01" rather than the US "09/11/01", even if it was a valid quote (which I think it is not), just coincidental.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: