OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dilemma.  (Read 343 times) Average Rating: 0
DaveInCSA

Faith: Anglican with Orthodox leanings
Jurisdiction: Dixie

« on: December 14, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I won't go into all the past details but about 2 years ago I started reading about Orthodoxy and my church world got turned upside-down. I posted about all of that back then. I really wanted to become Orthodox but there wasn't a church close enough to attend regularly. I was also sensitive to my wife and kids, realizing that they weren't going through the little journey I was on. I saw that Metropolitan Jonah had spoken at the inaugural gathering of the Anglican Church in North America which led me to discover Anglicanism. We found a ACNA church near us and have since become members. I am a few weeks away from being sworn in as a Vestry Member and I have had discussions with my Priest about going to Seminary and becoming a Priest which he is in favor of.

I somehow found out that there was an OCA Mission plant, two towns over. It's about 35 minutes away. I attended a Vespers service with an Anglican friend and found out while talking to the Priest that they were considering a building much closer to me; about 15 minutes. The Priest emailed me to let me know that things were beginning to happen with the new property. So now I keep thinking about it. What I was looking for originally is now going to be really close to me.  Undecided

So there's my little dilemma. I like our Anglican Church but I'm still drawn to Orthodoxy. All I listen to for teaching outside of church is Orthodox stuff. I even bought some icons a few months ago. I picked up a Western Rite Service book for morning and evening prayers. I really would love to be Orthodox!!

I could go on but I won't. I ask for your prayers though for wisdom. I'm meeting with one of our Priest's to ask him to be my confessor. I will mention it to him. Maybe a plan is to attend some Vespers services with my wife once they move.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I won't go into all the past details but about 2 years ago I started reading about Orthodoxy and my church world got turned upside-down. I posted about all of that back then. I really wanted to become Orthodox but there wasn't a church close enough to attend regularly. I was also sensitive to my wife and kids, realizing that they weren't going through the little journey I was on. I saw that Metropolitan Jonah had spoken at the inaugural gathering of the Anglican Church in North America which led me to discover Anglicanism. We found a ACNA church near us and have since become members. I am a few weeks away from being sworn in as a Vestry Member and I have had discussions with my Priest about going to Seminary and becoming a Priest which he is in favor of.

I somehow found out that there was an OCA Mission plant, two towns over. It's about 35 minutes away. I attended a Vespers service with an Anglican friend and found out while talking to the Priest that they were considering a building much closer to me; about 15 minutes. The Priest emailed me to let me know that things were beginning to happen with the new property. So now I keep thinking about it. What I was looking for originally is now going to be really close to me.  Undecided

So there's my little dilemma. I like our Anglican Church but I'm still drawn to Orthodoxy. All I listen to for teaching outside of church is Orthodox stuff. I even bought some icons a few months ago. I picked up a Western Rite Service book for morning and evening prayers. I really would love to be Orthodox!!

I could go on but I won't. I ask for your prayers though for wisdom. I'm meeting with one of our Priest's to ask him to be my confessor. I will mention it to him. Maybe a plan is to attend some Vespers services with my wife once they move.

It's funny: that same speech by Metropolitan Jonah is what jump-started my journey into Orthodoxy from Anglicanism.

I guess the question is- what do you believe? Do you believe in the Catholicity of the Church or the Via Media? Do you believe that the 7 Ecumenical Councils are true and that to go against them is heresy? Do you believe that Calvinism is heresy? Once you have answered these questions, your path should be clear.

You have my prayers.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »

Hi Everyone!

It's funny: that same speech by Metropolitan Jonah is what jump-started my journey into Orthodoxy from Anglicanism.

I guess the question is- what do you believe? Do you believe in the Catholicity of the Church or the Via Media? Do you believe that the 7 Ecumenical Councils are true and that to go against them is heresy? Do you believe that Calvinism is heresy? Once you have answered these questions, your path should be clear.

You have my prayers.

This is where the rubber met the road for me as well. I was born and raised, as they say, in the Lutheran church, and was in the formal discernment process for the ordained ministry, as well as having been accepted to seminary. I loved my Lutheran church and my Lutheran faith.
But when I discovered Orthodoxy, the hard question I had to answer was not which church did I like or where did I feel comfortable, or which church met my needs, but rather where would I find the Apostolic Faith, the fullness of the truth, historic Christianity.
To quote Brother Martin, "here I stand. I can do no other, God helping me." The answer was of course the Orthodox Church.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: