OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 05:59:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proving God. History Channel. Question for you Ethiopians.  (Read 1932 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 14, 2011, 06:38:57 AM »

Anybody catch this program? I'm sure there will be repeats.

So instead of God parting the Red Sea it was...wind setdown! That is really stretching it there...

BTW for your Ehtiopians, on the show there was a historian doing DNA samples of the Jewish community in Ethiopia. According to the show Judaism only represents 1% of the population and there is one last living Jewish rabbi which seems to be a woman. So did this spot get missed on evangelizing? I was kinda bewildered by the fact there are Jews in Ethiopia, there must be some sort of political motive there...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »

I think that community is actually pretty old. (Ethiopian Jews, that is)

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »

I think that community is actually pretty old. (Ethiopian Jews, that is)

Actually good article on wiki on Beta Israel, as Jews from the region are often called.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »

I don't have cable so I haven't seen the show, nor am I Ethiopian, but I have done a fair bit of research on Ethiopia in connection with my linguistic studies. It does indeed seem that the Ethiopian Jews (Beta Israel, as Schultz pointed out; formerly they were known as Falasha, but that is now considered pejorative) are a very old community, though their origin is not entirely uncontested (see, for instance, the work of ethnomusicologist Kay Kaufman Shelemay, who researched the roots of Ethiopian Jewish liturgy in situ shortly before the revolution and came to the conclusion that it probably had at least partially Christian origins). There was indeed a lot of political manipulation involved in the recent (post-Western "discovery") history of the Ethiopian Jewish community, culminating in the airlift to Israel in the early 1980s that took the vast majority of Ethiopian Jews out of the country. They are not really treated equally in Israel, either (see the movie "Live and Become" for a little snapshot of Ethiopian Jewish life in Israel; it's quite well done and fair, and stars some members of the Ethiopian community in Israel).

I have no idea how many Jews there currently are in Ethiopia, but they seem to have been historically concentrated in Ambober (near Lalibela) and other places in the north. Their original languages, however, weren't Amharic, Tigre, Tigrinya, or other Semitic languages common to the north, but one of the Agaw languages (Cushitic, in common with the majority of Muslims in Ethiopia, though Christians also speak these languages; apparently famous singer Ejigayehu "Gigi" Shibabaw's father was an Awgni/Agaw native speaker, and she has sung in this language on some of her material, in addition to singing Ethiopian church songs), Qimant. I have no idea when they switched to Amharic, but Qimant has been dead for a while, and since at least the 1950s (the earliest recording of an Ethiopian Jewish liturgy that I have, recorded by famous Ethiopianist linguist Wolf Leslau) they have used Ge'ez as a liturgical language, just like the Christians do. So things like this contribute to some confusion as to their ultimate origin, at least on the part of outsiders.

At any rate, I wouldn't guess that the Jewish areas were somehow looked over in the process of evangelization, as they have always lived among Christians. Rather, I would postulate that Ethiopian Orthodoxy has always had a very strong connection to the Hebraic roots of our faith, so they were probably respected on that level and seen in a different light than the other Cushitic people who, before before converting to Christianity (and later Islam), practiced traditional forms of polytheism or henotheism. That's just a guess, though, and I do hope one of our lovely Ethiopians shows up to give the real story.

So instead of God parting the Red Sea it was...wind setdown! That is really stretching it there...

BTW for your Ehtiopians, on the show there was a historian doing DNA samples of the Jewish community in Ethiopia. According to the show Judaism only represents 1% of the population and there is one last living Jewish rabbi which seems to be a woman. So did this spot get missed on evangelizing? I was kinda bewildered by the fact there are Jews in Ethiopia, there must be some sort of political motive there...

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »

[lotsa smart stuff]

That's just a guess, though, and I do hope one of our lovely Ethiopians shows up to give the real story.

You, you! You, person who is being all smart and charming and stuff!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:12 PM »

Smart? Charming? Huh

Well...I dunno...other people wrote these things. I'm more of a sponge.

Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

was this the one about Exodus? Where they look at all the plagues too?  I remember the part about the red sea just being wind or something. I guess I thought about it from another perspective.  I thought it was cool that they were basically saying that yes these things did, or could have, happened.  Sure, they dont come out and say that it was God who did these things, but they acknowledge that they may not be completely false.  Who knows... maybe God used wind setdown to part the sea??  Youre right, wind setdown does seem like a stretch, but to the secular world it seems like a stretch when we say God did it.

Just a thought. Either way, the show was interesting!

And I have no idea about the Jews in Ethiopia thing.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »

Smart? Charming? Huh

Well...I dunno...other people wrote these things. I'm more of a sponge.

Now you are playing the humility card . . .

Shrewd my friend. Shrewd . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »

Hahaha. It's not humility when I can't answer any other way. "Yeah, I'm pretty great. Thanks for noticing."  Grin Besides, there are actual Ethiopians here. I'm playing seat-filler.

To get back to the OP, here is a history of Ethiopian Jewry from a Jewish perspective. Pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:10:07 PM by dzheremi » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

BTW for your Ethiopians, on the show there was a historian doing DNA samples of the Jewish community in Ethiopia. According to the show Judaism only represents 1% of the population and there is one last living Jewish rabbi which seems to be a woman. So did this spot get missed on evangelizing? I was kinda bewildered by the fact there are Jews in Ethiopia, there must be some sort of political motive there...

The Bete Israel, (in the pejorative "Falasha" in Amharic which means "landless ones" and relates back to when Emperor Zara Yacob criminalized Judaism and stipped the Jews of their inherited land holdings) have been living in Ethiopia for at least 1600 years if not longer.  From the very beginning of the Christian era, indigenous Jewish communities and even kingdoms were thriving in Ethiopia.  Keep in context that at this time, the Arabian peninsula was also ruled by Yemeni and Arab Jewish kingdoms as well.  The Christian history of Ethiopia documents interactions between the Crown and the Jews since this time and through till the present day.  However, the Derg Communists sold the Ethiopian Jews at ransom to the Israelis for millions of dollars, the final lot having been purchased at 3AM the night before the fall of the Derg for $35 million in cash, wired to a top Derg official's private Citibank account (and his 12 year old daughter conveyed the bank router numbers to the Israeli government over the phone at 2:45am).  Of course, the Israelis didn't know what they were getting into , because they wanted some ethnic diversity in Israel, and since they have had some black folks there the Bete Israel have realistically become the subject of racist scorn in Jersualem and Tel Aviv Sad
These folks spoke no Hebrew, have no knowledge of the Jewish rabbinical law, commentaries and interpretations, and continued to to practice animal sacrifice implyung a complete disconnect from the European and Middle Eastern Jewish communities since at least the fall fo Rome!

In Gonder a bunch of American evangelical Churches run orphanages and feeding centers supposedly to "save Ethiopia's Jews" as part of this spreading Judaic Evangelical Christianity in America however there aren't' nearly as many Jews left in Gonder as the televangelists advertise, likely a lot of the people going to these clinics are Christians.  It is not that there aren't any Jews left in Ethiopia, its just their numbers have shrunk exponentially since Israel allowed them to become Israelis under the Law of Return (the Israeli government officially recognized Bete Israel as being the lost tribe of Dan)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »

Smart? Charming? Huh

Better you than me.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: