OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:08:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matisyahu Shaves Beard, Says 'Chassidic' Days Are Over  (Read 3443 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 02:21:57 AM »

I will also say that I don't think it's fair to attack brother Habte for his views on what constitutes authentic reggae music. Reggae music can never be separated from the roots. It is the music of the people, and it is not exclusive to any one particular people. But it is inextricably intertwined with Rastafari culture and livity, which is founded upon the Holy Bible. So, regardless of the riddim, if the music is not glorifying JAH and expressing the values and ethos of Rastafari, then it is only an immitation.

I think it's pretty well established that the roots of reggae have nothing to do with Rastafari, but rather with American R&B through ska through rocksteady through reggae.

Rasta didn't factor into it until well into the 1970s, long after Lynn Tait had created the riddim we know as reggae.

But if we go back further - following the branches down to the roots - then we will be led to Africa, from whence all these musical genres you mention ultimately flow. Now as to whether or not the reggae riddims preceded the Rastafari message is a bit of a chicken and egg debate. But the fact remains that the essence of authentic reggae is the combination of certain riddims and pulses with the uniquely spiritual message that Rastafari embodies.

The reason this is so important is because so many aspects of Rastafari culture have been misappropriated and abused by Babylon. Today millions of people smoke herb, wear dreads, and play what they call "reggae" music while they lead lives and promote messages that are diametrically opposed to the spiritual values and ethos of Rastafari. So, this is not about musical snobbery. It's about defending and protecting an artistic expression that has been historically instrumental in cultural redemption, emancipation, and preservation.

But I do think this is an interesting an imformative discussion, and I hope that we can all take it seriously without attacking one another. Discussions about artistic expression invariably draw a variety of opinions and view points, and it is good to listen to one another and address one another with courtesy and respect. I'm always interested in your opinions about music Schultz, since I know you are a musician.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I will also say that I don't think it's fair to attack brother Habte for his views on what constitutes authentic reggae music. Reggae music can never be separated from the roots. It is the music of the people, and it is not exclusive to any one particular people. But it is inextricably intertwined with Rastafari culture and livity, which is founded upon the Holy Bible. So, regardless of the riddim, if the music is not glorifying JAH and expressing the values and ethos of Rastafari, then it is only an immitation.

I think it's pretty well established that the roots of reggae have nothing to do with Rastafari, but rather with American R&B through ska through rocksteady through reggae.

Rasta didn't factor into it until well into the 1970s, long after Lynn Tait had created the riddim we know as reggae.
That is simply not true.  Reggae evolved as a stylee directly from the rockers and rock-steady and ska scene, but the ARTISTS who pioneered this innovative reggae sound were Rastafari brothers and sisters directly from the Trenchtown scene circa 1961-1965.  These foundation artists became all the names we associate with 1970s roots reggae,and what all these artists shared in common from the Trenchtown scene was an affiliation with Rastafari.  Either they themselves were practicing Rastafari community, or at least they were affiliated and friends with Rastafari members and Elders. Remember that the ONE DROP drum beat is not from rocksteady, it is the RASTAFARI heartbeat hand drum beat, translated into contemporary music (as Ras Mortimo Plano said about Marley "Him took that heartical Rastafari One Beat and took it across the whole world!")

Further, Rastafari didn't originate in JA and Trinidad in the 1970s, it originated in the 1570s with all those slave rebellions, it was the spirit of the Rastafari folks at an earlier stage, for when those slaves were taken from Africa, the slavers didn't know that the seed of the Rastafari brothers was in the loins of their parents and ancestors, and was carried down in a lineage until Marcus Garvey lit the torch and burst the movement onto the world scene, and took that torch and lit up all of the Caribbean, all of the Americas, all of Africa, and even Europe, with the spirit of Africa for the Africans at home and abroad.  

It is therefore disingenuous to claim Rastafari is not part of the foundation of reggae music, only folks who want to ideologically rob reggae of its Rastafari heritage claim such, that is like saying the Delta Blues isn't slave music because some of it incorporates Irish folk music structure, when we all know that the crucible which formulated blues was the remnants of Slavery in the Jim Crow South, and we know that reggae music originates in the crucible of British Colonialism and the Rastafari reaction.

Yes, folks in the Caribbean were listening to soul, R&B, and blues from New Orleans and Florida radio stations, however this could hardly negate the direct, tangible, and even palpable influence that the Elders of Rastafari community had on the burgeoning reggae scene during the mid to late 1960s.  Yes, you are correct to mention the evolution of ska, to rock steady, to rockers, to reggae, however it is blatantly false to say that Rastafari culture, history, and people were not the driving force of this evolution.  Further, reggae was a kind of protest music against Colonialism, a movement which Rastafari was central and pivotal in.  

Its like Jah B Bunny Wailer sang, "Remember that reggae is the music which sends a message,  tells of history, the Truth, and the rights."

No one is suggesting that reggae is exclusively the listening domain of Rastafari peoples, however what Gebre Menfes Kidus and I are suggesting is that only Rastafari affiliated  musicians are those who can write, play, and perform authentic sounding and feeling reggae music, the rest simply doesn't cut it.  I am a reggae musician, I can say this entirely as a musician, not just a Rastafari brother, when I hear these imitation contemporary reggae artists my EAR recognizes clearly what IS and IS NOT reggae music.  Folks can all surely love and appreciate this music, as Brigadier Jerry sang "Every man him a mi bredren, and every woman a mi sistren" however it is a stretch to say that all folks who attempt to play music are reggae musicians.  After all, all folks in the Church may be Christians, but only certified, trained, and properly affiliated folks are the clergy, and there are no self-proclaimed or self-defined priests, neither are the self-proclaimed reggae musicians.

Let me ask a question, why are folks so defensive about reggae being Rastafari music? Are folks here perhaps embarrassed or ashamed to listen to Rastafari music? Would folks prefer to deny the Rastafari aspects and heritage of reggae music simply in order to feel comfortable listening to this music? If so, why? If folks are not comfortable with Rastafari culture, why adopt and enjoy our music? Like Peter Tosh said, "A leopard can't change his spots, and sheep don't grow hair, seen?"  No one can take the Rastafari out of reggae, and if folks honestly enjoy reggae music, they should be also be honest with themselves and accept exactly what reggae music is and where it comes from and what its about.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:55:29 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »

I'm shocked that on my first day back to this forum in months I find two people who seemed to be level headed believe in a 2nd black Jesus.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I'm shocked that on my first day back to this forum in months I find two people who seemed to be level headed believe in a 2nd black Jesus.

I am shocked that in your first days back you would make such a strong assumption  based entirely on speculation because we used the terms "Rastafari" and if you check backlog on GMK and own posts you might be surprised to find out different then what you have assumed Wink

Besides, even if Bro Gebre Menfes Kiddus and I weren't Rastafari brothers, we are still discussing reggae which is Rastafari music, and the major points of discussion would then remain the same regardless of his or my own affiliations. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »

Whatever helps you all sleep at night.  Musical history says otherwise.  Rastafarianism certainly had a profound influence on reggae, but it's simply untrue to say that it had such an almost exclusive influence.  When I listen to the records that Leslie Kong and Duke Reid, for instance, produced, I hear nothing but authentic Jamaican reggae...a reggae that is nothing more than dance music.  Socially conscious dance music, but dance music nonetheless.

And I'm done with this thread.  We will not convince each other of the veracity of our positions so it is pointless to continue.  I'd rather us not end up like the broken record that is ialmisry and elijahmaria.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »

I am shocked that in your first days back you would make such a strong assumption  based entirely on speculation because we used the terms "Rastafari" and if you check backlog on GMK and own posts you might be surprised to find out different then what you have assumed Wink

Besides, even if Bro Gebre Menfes Kiddus and I weren't Rastafari brothers, we are still discussing reggae which is Rastafari music, and the major points of discussion would then remain the same regardless of his or my own affiliations. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I don't mean to assume but then I'm curious why you always use a greeting that says Christ has "revealed Himself in the personality of HIM Haile Selassie, crowned King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah?" Why would you identify with a group, Rastafarians, that do believe this if you don't? And Gebre isn't the other person I was referring to.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who as in this day revealed Himself in the personality of HIM Haile Selassie, crowned King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah.

Greetings to and from the Twelve Tribes of Israel, once scattered abroad, but now being regathered by the workds of our beloved Prophet Gad, founded on the island of Jamaica in 1968.

Greetings through the Ethiopian Orthodox Faith, not a faith of writs or rights, but one born from a mystical incorporation of the Holy Spirit, in plain words, to be born again.

Further Greetings to and through the Ethiopian Royal Family of King David, represented by HIH Zara Yacob, long the House of David!

I greet you from the Tribe of Naphtali

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I don't mean to assume but then I'm curious why you always use a greeting that says Christ has "revealed Himself in the personality of HIM Haile Selassie, crowned King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah?" Why would you identify with a group, Rastafarians, that do believe this if you don't? And Gebre isn't the other person I was referring to.

What is the conflict? I greet all in the name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, but that is a shortened version of the Official Twelve Tribes of Israel greeting, which is a Rastafari certified Mansion.  I identify with the Twelve Tribes of Israel because I am a Rastafari brother, but I am also Orthodox.  As I have explained elsewhere, I do not cite the Emperor Haile Selassie I as God incarnate, nor the return of Christ, but I still remain an ardent Rastafari brother to the fullness.  Also, the only folks embracing Rastafari on this thread was GMK and myself, who were you referring to then if not he?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »

Pardon my assumption then. There is a link to a thread earlier in this thread where Gebre refutes the notion that he believes Selassie was Christ. I hadn't seen a similar refutation by yourself and you thus far hadn't seemed intent on any (that I saw). There was someone named Wolde Negus who I got mixed up into thinking was the same person, but in fact isn't Ekhristos Anesti. I'm still not sure I understand how one is Rastafari and rejects Selassie as Christ at the same time, but that doesn't really matter. If you say you don't believe it then you don't. I'm just always surprised by the range of opinions here of all places Smiley

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »

Someone say Shaggy?

Girl you're my angel...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »

Also, what of bands like Groundation? 

The album

Madness is what comes when injustice and fear are allowed to fester and seep down through the generations. Written while traveling through the West Bank & Israel in 2010, Madness, the album, is one man's attempt to reconcile thousands of years of history and religion that have flowed through the region and now feed into the current untenable situation in Israel/Palestine.

Harrison Stafford, Groundation lyricist and front-man, made his recent pilgrimage to the Holy Land in order to connect with his own family's history and to try and find common ground between both sides of the conflict. Though he experienced a dizzying array of different views and positions, he came away with the clear realization that there are in fact no “sides” to this conflict—that we are all in fact on the same side, with the same goals and aspirations of peace and prosperity, and with a common cause to see a resolution that provides justice and dignity for all peoples involved.

For a project of this scope and scale, Stafford brought together the legends of Reggae music—music long-heralded for its commitment to justice and righteousness. Leroy “Horsemouth” Wallace (“Rockers”, Burning Spear), Flabba Holt (Roots Radics), Dalton Brownie (Augustus Pablo, Mutabaruka), Lloyd “Obeah” Denton (Israel Vibration, Horace Andy) are the players of instruments, while Winston McAnuff, U-Roy, Bernard Collins (The Abyssinians) & Ashanti Roy (The Congos) all lend their voices to this instant-classic of an album, a new chapter in the heavy one-drop evolution of Roots Reggae.

But the centerpiece here is Stafford's own revealing words and lyrics—which cut to the heart of the conflict and lay bare both the differences and commonalities of peoples who's history, and future, are irrevocably intertwined.
http://www.reggaeprofessor.com/album.html

stay blessed,
habte selassie

mountainman

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: oca

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 07:50:53 AM »

good stuff habte.  You know Alborosie?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »

ini ADORE Alborosie, seen him play twice, great stage show.  You know Midnite , he and his brother put out the absolute BEST contemporary roots reggae to be found, and the brothers are ridiculously prolific, they got like 40 albums just since 1997, and whenever I see a stageshow, they play for literally 3 consecutive hours non-stop, and Vaughn NEVER stop singing, they do ten to twenty minute versions and its not DUB, all lyrics. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »

ini ADORE Alborosie, seen him play twice, great stage show.  You know Midnite , he and his brother put out the absolute BEST contemporary roots reggae to be found, and the brothers are ridiculously prolific, they got like 40 albums just since 1997, and whenever I see a stageshow, they play for literally 3 consecutive hours non-stop, and Vaughn NEVER stop singing, they do ten to twenty minute versions and its not DUB, all lyrics. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Midnite is nice fi sure.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

I just saw Midnite play for the first time a couple months ago.  Great great show.  Don't miss it if you're interested in seeing real roots reggae. Smiley

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Thank you for this Smiley
Sublimely beautiful words by Janhoy, just as King David who HIM is, HIM speaks the poetic words of God's wisdom by the virtue of HIM anointing, even as just as King David HIM actual life was a web of seeming paradoxes.  This wisdom is one which Africa and the world sorely need in this age of hawkish war drums, whereas Rastafari chant and beat the drum word sound power for peace.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

mountainman

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »

Habte,

My friend Midnite is my #1 contemporary roots band.  Went to a show a couple of years back and they were supposed to hit the stage @ 10, you know but they didn't come on until the stroke of Midnight.  Should've seen that coming!  This is deep deep roots, not for the uninitiated!  The BEST!
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »

Sublimely beautiful words by Janhoy, just as King David who HIM is, HIM speaks the poetic words of God's wisdom by the virtue of HIM anointing, even as just as King David HIM actual life was a web of seeming paradoxes.  This wisdom is one which Africa and the world sorely need in this age of hawkish war drums, whereas Rastafari chant and beat the drum word sound power for peace.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
You're welcome bro.  There are many people who are touched by HIM and the rasta movement in a way that helps them break away from the status quo they were brought up in, and find their way into the arms of Christ himself as forwarded by the fulness of Orthodox tradition.  Although I never identified as a Rasta, it was a critical influence for me early on and helped me to discover the Orthodox faith many years ago.  I'm indebted.  It's true that there is only One Love.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 12:42:46 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
You're welcome bro.  There are many people who are touched by HIM and the rasta movement in a way that helps them break away from the status quo they were brought up in, and find their way into the arms of Christ himself as forwarded by the fulness of Orthodox tradition.  Although I never identified as a Rasta, it was a critical influence for me early on and helped me to discover the Orthodox faith many years ago.  I'm indebted.  It's true that there is only One Love.

Amen!

Selam

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »

“I didn’t even recognize him at first,” said Keith Dumont, 22, after the Rockwood Music Hall show. It wasn’t just the beard that was missing. The set Matisyahu and his band played at the late-night show didn’t sound much like reggae. And though the crowd begged, he didn’t favor them with one of his hits, or even an encore.

Matisyahu is still a superstar. He holds two spots on Billboard’s latest top-10 reggae album sales chart — the entire Marley clan only has three spots among them — and plays hip venues around the country

But the world of the 32-year-old Jewish reggae artist is in flux. In 2010, the major label Sony dropped his act. He recently moved to Los Angeles from a Hasidic enclave in Brooklyn and is now pursuing acting jobs. And in mid-December, Matisyahu shaved his beard, abandoning the visual hook that had helped separate him from the mass of white reggae wannabes.

For his friends and fans, these personal decisions carry heavy spiritual implications. In shaving and moving away from the Hasidic Jewish neighborhood of Crown Heights, Matisyahu appears to be signaling a shift from the ultra-Orthodox Hasidic Judaism that brought him his artistic success. Matisyahu declined to speak to the Forward for this story. But while some fans say his struggles make him more relatable, others worry about the most prominent ultra-Orthodox ba’al teshuvah, or nonobservant Jew who embraces Orthodoxy, losing his way.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »

The only roots reggae album that matters:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2012, 08:01:58 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus CHrist!

I hate to one up on our dear brother Joseph Hill (rest his soul) but if folks could only have the opportunity for a single roots reggae album which encapsulates the entire roots reggae and roots Rastafari experience it would have to be..

The Abyssinians .."tonight is spiritual healing, we will work on our minds, our hearts, and soul.. catch 2:54 seconds to see what ini is sighting up..
these are some humble brothers

However, culture is definitely in the top 5 of roots music.. I saw em play at the Hollywood Bowl a few months before the brother passed, it was an introduction to just how mercifully mystical roots reggae can be...

"your love must be shining as the bright morning sun, before you can stand and declare say your work is done.."

"the countenance of one man brighten up another, as iron sharpens iron, so when you dig a pit I tell you my brother, don't dig one always dig two.."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus CHrist!

I hate to one up on our dear brother Joseph Hill (rest his soul) but if folks could only have the opportunity for a single roots reggae album which encapsulates the entire roots reggae and roots Rastafari experience it would have to be..

The Abyssinians .."tonight is spiritual healing, we will work on our minds, our hearts, and soul.. catch 2:54 seconds to see what ini is sighting up..

However, culture is definitely in the top 5 of roots music.. I saw em play at the Hollywood Bowl a few months before the brother passed, it was an introduction to just how mercifully mystical roots reggae can be...

"your love must be shining as the bright morning sun, before you can stand and declare say your work is done.."

"the countenance of one man brighten up another, as iron sharpens iron, so when you dig a pit I tell you my brother, don't dig one always dig two.."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Isn't "Abyssinian" considered an insult to Ethiopians?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I don't think so, is it?  Abyssinian is an Anglo-Franco derived term from  ሐበሻ Habesha, and I think the white folks picked it up from their experience with the Arabs who called the Ethiopians الحبشة ‎which is how Ethiopians still refer to themselves, and further, I understand Ethiopia was largely called Abyssinian by Ethiopians until HIM Haile Selassie I changed the name to Ethiopia officially.

I believe  inscriptions in southern, coastal Arabia in Ge'ez from the third century first introduce the term H-B-SH-T into the historical record.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2012, 10:35:54 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I don't think so, is it?  Abyssinian is an Anglo-Franco derived term from  ሐበሻ Habesha, and I think the white folks picked it up from their experience with the Arabs who called the Ethiopians الحبشة ‎which is how Ethiopians still refer to themselves, and further, I understand Ethiopia was largely called Abyssinian by Ethiopians until HIM Haile Selassie I changed the name to Ethiopia officially.

I believe  inscriptions in southern, coastal Arabia in Ge'ez from the third century first introduce the term H-B-SH-T into the historical record.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Oh, okay...I don't know...I've been told by an Ethiopian before, but of course there might be mixed understandings.  Ever since then though, I refrained from using the word.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Eleos
Elder

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »

this tune always makes me wonder if the reggae group "The Abyssinians" attended morning prayer services and found inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUhuT0OBhAg

"Abyssinian" may be an offensive term to some Ethiopians, but people in the west didn't realize that and for a time it was the standard textbook term.  These textbooks were probably used to educate the members of the Abyssinians who are now old men and most likely will pass sooner than later.  Cut them some slack.  I've seen them live a couple times.  Powerful, honest, faithful and sincere.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »

this tune always makes me wonder if the reggae group "The Abyssinians" attended morning prayer services and found inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUhuT0OBhAg

"Abyssinian" may be an offensive term to some Ethiopians, but people in the west didn't realize that and for a time it was the standard textbook term.  These textbooks were probably used to educate the members of the Abyssinians who are now old men and most likely will pass sooner than later.  Cut them some slack.  I've seen them live a couple times.  Powerful, honest, faithful and sincere.

You're right...I'm in no way at all judging their musical talents, and I would just assume as you would that they used whatever they learned in textbooks, not as something that is deliberately insulting.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »

My Lord Ieyesus Kristos, that Midnite show was like seeing King David.. This brother is simply to mystical for this world, let alone the stage of clubs, theaters, and dive bars!

Midnite is the most spiritualized music I have ever heard, the only thing that is superior is the Divine Liturgy itself..

this brother ended his 2 and half hour set with this line..

When Christ descended into Hell, Beelezebub said to the prince of hades, How is it that you let such a one as this here? He will ruin this whole place, He will teach them to love their neighbors.. He will teach them life and not hatred..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Eleos
Elder

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »

Midnite is the most spiritualized music I have ever heard, the only thing that is superior is the Divine Liturgy itself..

When Christ descended into Hell, Beelezebub said to the prince of hades, How is it that you let such a one as this here? He will ruin this whole place, He will teach them to love their neighbors.. He will teach them life and not hatred..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
coincidentally, I was at that very show Saturday, Midnite was great indeed, though I'd never even try to compare liturgy to a live band Smiley.  The band that was playing in the small room inside the same venue, Secret Chiefs 3 (avant garde progressive rock group) is led by an EO convert.  Did you see them too at all?  They were amazing.  I missed much of Midnite, but it was my second time to see them in the last few months. 

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2012, 12:54:08 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
coincidentally, I was at that very show Saturday, Midnite was great indeed, though I'd never even try to compare liturgy to a live band Smiley.  The band that was playing in the small room inside the same venue, Secret Chiefs 3 (avant garde progressive rock group) is led by an EO convert.  Did you see them too at all?  They were amazing.  I missed much of Midnite, but it was my second time to see them in the last few months. 

A) No, but I sort of heard those other band and they were indeed rocking it, I was curious.

B) If you didn't see the whole set, or if you are even content to miss a second of it, then clearly we feel it at a different level, but I'm as punctual to a Midnite set as a Mass, not that Midnite is comparable to the Mass so much as there is nothing else comparable to me in music then Midnite's stageshow OUTSIDE of the Church Wink

But then again, I am a serious roots Rastaman, and so I perhaps notice things from Midnite in a different way, really, Midnite's stageshow carries the same vibzin as a Nyahbinghi Groundation
stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2012, 01:02:33 AM »

Especially check 6 minutes into Natty Watchin You... for those who know what i n i Natty is watching for, then them know EXACTLY why such a song has mystics, and what Vaughn had to say about Babylon mentality, his smile is our Rastafari smile, we see the shaky sand of world empires Wink

Natty Watching You at the Galaxy 1-28-2012
Chek Ya Self Galaxy Theater 1-28
Meditation Galaxy Theater 1-28

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:09:52 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

mountainman

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »

I especially like the part in "natty watching you" where vaughn says "Berhane Sellasie watching you".... I wonder how many in the audience knew he was talking about Bob Marley.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

I especially like the part in "natty watching you" where vaughn says "Berhane Sellasie watching you".... I wonder how many in the audience knew he was talking about Bob Marley.

Did you catch that coy smile when he mentioned the drudgery of "..Iphone..Ipad..Ipod..I-man (I-man is like saying 'Oh my!' in I-speak) !"  Wink

He couldn't even keep a straight face!  We Rastafari know EXACTLY what agwan with Babylon tricky consumerism slavery, hence why Natty watchin out!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:27:43 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

mountainman

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »

yes, I hear you...

Midnite is maximum inspiration for me.  He is a song I wrote in a midnite chanting style:

Babylon selling  food don't live but die
Babylon selling sex divide not unify
Babylon selling kids toy made plastic
babylon soda fizzles like bombastic

Righteous man a lion and lamb
righteous man caught in a thicket like ram
wicked man lose job and he destroy
righteous man pray God, he employ

Telemarketer trying to sell thin air
woman starve herself, maximum despair
Beauty woman manifest fullness
virtuous woman show forth royalness

Loch ness monster come create a myth
UFO chasing a man like Sith
False teachers call Christ "power"
They know not the day nor the hour
Taste in their mouth about to get sour

Why contemporary man not believe
He thinks he knows better
But God show His face
this man a bed-wetter

The tree of tek-way-knowledgy
grow branches through histriocity
man build tower of babel
with the slave labor of rabble

ignorant man no $ in a mental bank
He got food, shelter, helter skelter
no $ in a spiritual bank

Godful man look inside, interrogate
after interrogate with tear he prostrate
It's not too late to saturate
Not too late to get rebate...

Bless
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »

yes, I hear you...

Midnite is maximum inspiration for me.  He is a song I wrote in a midnite chanting style:

Babylon selling  food don't live but die
Babylon selling sex divide not unify
Babylon selling kids toy made plastic
babylon soda fizzles like bombastic

Righteous man a lion and lamb
righteous man caught in a thicket like ram
wicked man lose job and he destroy
righteous man pray God, he employ

Telemarketer trying to sell thin air
woman starve herself, maximum despair
Beauty woman manifest fullness
virtuous woman show forth royalness

Loch ness monster come create a myth
UFO chasing a man like Sith
False teachers call Christ "power"
They know not the day nor the hour
Taste in their mouth about to get sour

Why contemporary man not believe
He thinks he knows better
But God show His face
this man a bed-wetter

The tree of tek-way-knowledgy
grow branches through histriocity
man build tower of babel
with the slave labor of rabble

ignorant man no $ in a mental bank
He got food, shelter, helter skelter
no $ in a spiritual bank

Godful man look inside, interrogate
after interrogate with tear he prostrate
It's not too late to saturate
Not too late to get rebate...

Bless

ጎበዝ Gobez!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

mountainman

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »

Thanks man, but no, Midnite is "gobez"!

bless
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: