OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:33:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative worship ‘pops up’ in Portland, Oregon, for Advent  (Read 480 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 13, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »

[Episcopal News Service] A new church has literally “popped up” in Portland, Oregon, offering alternative and movable worship, an Advent vespers here, an Advent Mass celebrated there – followed by pub conversations nearby.

“PopUp Church,” also known as All Souls, debuted Dec. 1 at Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Portland with a weekly series of Wednesday evening Advent vespers.

An “experimental outreach,” it has no fixed address or formal membership, but offers a way to stay centered during the harried Advent and pre-Christmas season, said its founder, the Rev. Karen Ward.
Deborah Aronson, a member of Sts. Peter and Paul for little more than a year, said the Dec. 1 startup vespers service became, for her, that safe space and much, much more. “If people knew about this, they would be flocking to it,” she said.

“It felt incredible,” said Aronson, who added that she’d be willing to follow the church to other locations.

“The church was very warm and lightly lit. There was a lot of incense. It was quiet, reverent, it felt like a monastery, very sacred, very quiet, full of reverence. I loved it. I’m going to go for the rest of my life.”

The 6:30 p.m. traditional vespers began in the darkened church chancel with a circle of chairs positioned around the Advent wreath. Candles, a small pot of incense and a Tibetan bell helped to make it “the Anglo-Catholic tradition, but in a more chilled-out, smaller way,” Ward said.

Tibetan bells are part of the Anglo-Catholic tradition? Shocked

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

[Episcopal News Service] A new church has literally “popped up” in Portland, Oregon, offering alternative and movable worship, an Advent vespers here, an Advent Mass celebrated there – followed by pub conversations nearby.

“PopUp Church,” also known as All Souls, debuted Dec. 1 at Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Portland with a weekly series of Wednesday evening Advent vespers.

An “experimental outreach,” it has no fixed address or formal membership, but offers a way to stay centered during the harried Advent and pre-Christmas season, said its founder, the Rev. Karen Ward.
Deborah Aronson, a member of Sts. Peter and Paul for little more than a year, said the Dec. 1 startup vespers service became, for her, that safe space and much, much more. “If people knew about this, they would be flocking to it,” she said.

“It felt incredible,” said Aronson, who added that she’d be willing to follow the church to other locations.

“The church was very warm and lightly lit. There was a lot of incense. It was quiet, reverent, it felt like a monastery, very sacred, very quiet, full of reverence. I loved it. I’m going to go for the rest of my life.”

The 6:30 p.m. traditional vespers began in the darkened church chancel with a circle of chairs positioned around the Advent wreath. Candles, a small pot of incense and a Tibetan bell helped to make it “the Anglo-Catholic tradition, but in a more chilled-out, smaller way,” Ward said.

As I have said before, nothing surprises me when I see the words Anglican or Episcopal in any sentence.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »

I feel so sorry for the old-school, high church Anglicans. I like them. They have to deal with all this silliness now.  Sad

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:44:19 PM »

People are trying to reinvent the wheel all the time. I guess they get a special kick from this rather than from simply going to an Orthodox Vespers service and get a "warm, reverent and sacred experience." OTH, the Anglo-Catholic Anglican tradition has "evolved" to what? Folk masses, ordination of women, ordination of homosexuals and lesbians, denial of the virgin birth, denial of Christ's divinity...

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »

I don't know, I would be slow to judge such a thing. While I'm not a fan of the Tibetan bells, who said vespers services have to be a church?

A friend of mine who is a seminary graduate and tonsured reader, runs a ministry in Cleveland where he goes from nursing home to nursing home, holding Akathist and Reader services for those infirmed. Although it is intended to minister to Orthodox Christians, the majority of those who attend are not Orthodox. One woman has been baptized because of his ministry.

While I understand that people in nursing homes are infirmed and it is difficult for them to go to Church, by the Anglican Church having these "pop-up" Vesper services in a mall, or where ever they may be, they can draw people who might not normally go to Church.

The person may attend the vespers service and say "Hey, this is pretty neat, maybe I'll check out the Eucharistic Mass on Sunday."

The Willard Preacher at Penn State uses a very un-orthodox form of ministry to draw people to Orthodoxy. I have heard many stories of his success over the years.

I think this is just is another form of that.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: