OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:30:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which jurisdiction has the strongest monasticism in the U.S. ?
Antiochians - 0 (0%)
Greeks - 11 (55%)
OCA - 9 (45%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rank the SCOBA jurisdictions - Q6 - Monasticism  (Read 878 times) Average Rating: 0
arjuna3110

« on: September 29, 2005, 06:59:42 AM »

The main SCOBA jurisdictions (in terms of people and presence) seem to be the Antiochians, the Greeks and the OCA.

Of these, which (in your opinion) has the strongest monasticism in the U.S. ?

Here are some issues relating to this question:

--How many monasteries do the jurisdictions have in the U.S.?
--How well are they growing?
--How well do they function as centers of spiritual health for people (i.e., what is their proximity to Orthodox populations, general reputation for holiness, etc.) ?
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:32:34 PM »

ROCOR. Why ROCOR? They have Holy Trinity Monastery with a seminary, Holy Cross in Wayne, Holy Cross Skete in East Setauket, St. Seraphim Convent in Nanuet, St Elizabeth Convent near Jordanville, All-Merciful Saviour in Vashon Island, a monastery in Mexico, a skete in Fridley, MN, and other monasteries around the world. Holy Cross in Wayne and Holy Trinity in Jordanville publish books, periodicals, and have an excellent online presence, as well as great monastics. All the recent ROCOR First Hierarchs and many of the Bishops went through the monastic life, whether in Jordanville or elsewhere. Bishop George of Mayfield was and is to this day the Superior of Holy Cross Monastery in Wayne. He is a quiet and prayerful man, and probably a discerning Hierarch and Superior as well. The publications in Jordanville were especially important for keeping the faith alive in Soviet Russia. Hopefully the other jurisdictions will also strengthen their monasteries and monasticism, that we may have many more holy fathers and mothers praying with us and for us.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:38:32 PM »

The Antiochians have only one monastery and that is a very recent establishment (only in the last two years or so) so I fail to see how they could even be a contender.  The Greeks have several (one I frequent as often as I can) as does the OCA, but ROCOR, MP and the Serbs individually have more monasteries than the Antiochians.  I know that the Antiochians will have one more in a few years to come. Some land has been marked for this purpose in Bishop BASIL's DOWAMA (diocese of Wichita and Mid-America), but that won't happen until the current owners repose.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »

None of the above.  My vote would be ROCOR.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »

I voted for OCA because I read it on the internet:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/List_of_American_monasteries
CopticDeacon
ψάλτης (Psaltis) in the God-loving Diocese of NY and New England
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Abba Pachom and St. Cyril, Pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »

ROCOR. But as that wasn't a choice, OCA

“I have been amazed that some are utterly in doubt as to whether or not the Holy Virgin is able to be called the Mother of God. For if our Lord Jesus Christ is God, how should the Holy Virgin who bore him not be the Mother of God?”

– St. Cyril of Alexandria, Letter to the Monks of Egypt
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »

It may have taken 8 1/2 years, but arjuna finally got the question answered! (Now if only he/she were here to read them)  Grin
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:32:18 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »

The only way to find out is by getting them to fist-fight one another. Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: