OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 26, 2014, 05:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Day to Day traditions - wisdom  (Read 250 times) Average Rating: 0
HikerJim

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:01 PM »

I just read a post in here where LizaSymonenko spoke about traditions in the Church that seem to be part of normal life for many cradle Orthodox, see here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,57780.msg1107921.html#msg1107921

Things like this make me go "Oooh, oooh!" :

Your text books won't teach you about what to put in your basket to get blessed on Pascha, what it symbolizes or what to do with it

I started an email list at our Church to try to glean some of this information and hoping that maybe it would take hold in some of us converts that were looking for it.  It hasn't really taken off yet.

I would love to absorb more of these things into my life. 

Does anybody want to start a post with these things to share? 
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »

There was this thread started by Liza too.  Very helpful!
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53386.0.html

HikerJim

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »

Oh wow, thanks. 

I have to put up my Please Do Not Disturb sign now, I think I'll be busy for the next hour or two  Wink
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »

I came across a site on Bulgarian folk and church customs. This caught my attention: "Bulgarians on that day (Holy Transfiguration) pick grapes for the first time, take it to church to sanctify it and give it out for health and fertility during the next year. People say that when God created the grapes, the Devil made the blackberry, called by the people “devil’s grapes”. The Devil did so that it ripened earlier that the grapes. That is why nobody eats blackberries on Transfiguration. The good Christian tastes first the fruit of God and only after that he can eat blackberries without fear."
http://12121.hostinguk.com/Transfiguration.htm

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Anna.T
Bond-slave to Christ Jesus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox - Glory to God!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:23:30 AM »

I just read a post in here where LizaSymonenko spoke about traditions in the Church that seem to be part of normal life for many cradle Orthodox, see here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,57780.msg1107921.html#msg1107921

Things like this make me go "Oooh, oooh!" :

Your text books won't teach you about what to put in your basket to get blessed on Pascha, what it symbolizes or what to do with it

I started an email list at our Church to try to glean some of this information and hoping that maybe it would take hold in some of us converts that were looking for it.  It hasn't really taken off yet.

I would love to absorb more of these things into my life. 

Does anybody want to start a post with these things to share? 

LOL, that was an answer to my question. I loved her answer, but I wanted to re-ask every single question!

I had hoped to get back to it after Pascha - just too little time this week to be asking extra questions. Smiley  I'm glad you did this thread though.

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: