OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:50:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the US Army's First Hindu Chaplain  (Read 793 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 13, 2011, 01:48:18 AM »

Chaplain Dharm grew up in the cosmopolitan cities of modern India, in landscapes dotted with temples, churches, gurudwaras and mosques.
"Of course, we were raised as Hindus, but never did I hear a conversation at home, even when I was a young child, that was against any religion. My parents would always encourage me to ask questions about God, and find God for myself through family discussions."
To become a chaplain in the army, one must have formal training, usually in a seminary, and endorsement by an authorized religious institution. When Dharm decided to prepare for the chaplaincy, there was no authorized Hindu body--and there are still no seminaries which offer a degree in Hinduism. Dharm received her initial training, therefore, in a Protestant seminary, and she was first endorsed by the Pentecostal Church of God. She underwent baptism and wore the service badge of a Christian chaplain, even though she is a Hindu. There were no other options available; hence this unusual route.

"All the Hindu studies that I did were on my own. I gained experience by working in the temples and, of course, growing up in India," she says. "There was no other opportunity. Even now, I don't think there is any seminary in the Western world that offers Hindu studies or offers Sanskrit as a language. They offer Hebrew, German, Latin and Greek, but they do not offer any of the Indian languages."

While working at Walter Reed Medical Hospital, Dharm finally found a Hindu institution authorized by the military to endorse someone for the chaplaincy: Chinmaya Mission West, the first Hindu organization to receive recognition as an endorsing agency by the Pentagon.
Dharm does not say much about her move to Hinduism from the Pentecostal Church, or what the Pentecosals thought about it. But the Army allowed the change, and she leaves no doubt that she is, and always has been, a Hindu.

I'm sure the Pentecostals didn't take too kindly to that. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:51:40 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:45 AM »

I think that the military should discharge her for gross fraudulence in claiming to be a Pentecostal, given that she is a chaplain.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »

I think that the military should discharge her for gross fraudulence in claiming to be a Pentecostal, given that she is a chaplain.
That would depend  upon whether she ever claimed to be Pentecostal or Christian, and whether her baptism was contingent upon her claiming such.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »

That would depend  upon whether she ever claimed to be Pentecostal or Christian, and whether her baptism was contingent upon her claiming such.

I think it's fairly safe to assume she claimed to be Pentecostal, and by extension claimed Christianity, when she sought endorsement by the Pentecostals.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »

I'm not sure why they can't come up with some Hindu organization in the U.S. that would give her some kind of certificate. It's not like there aren't any of their temples here.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
I'm not sure why they can't come up with some Hindu organization in the U.S. that would give her some kind of certificate. It's not like there aren't any of their temples here.

"Here's how it was explained to me.   The army doesn't do things the way real human beings do them."  Father Mulcahy
M*A*S*H episode "The Life You Save"

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:35:16 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »

I guess that's true. Thanks.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »

I think it's fairly safe to assume she claimed to be Pentecostal, and by extension claimed Christianity, when she sought endorsement by the Pentecostals.

If she completed her duties as a Pentecostal preacher and did not try to convert anyone to Hinduism during that time, what's the problem?

Do you honestly believe that everyone that sits in the pew on Sunday believes in God? Do you believe everyone behind a pulpit believes what they are preaching?

Don't kid yourself.

This woman just came clean about what she believes, while others will lead a lifetime of deceit.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »

First a chaplain, now a member of congress. They're taking over! angel

The Bible and Torah have long been used at swearing-in ceremonies for members of Congress and have been joined by the Quran in more recent years, but this week marked the first time the Bhagavad Gita was used.

Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, the first Hindu to join either chamber of Congress, used the sacred text from her faith in a ceremonial swearing-in conducted by Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio).

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 01:46:17 PM »

First a chaplain, now a member of congress. They're taking over! angel

You still have a long way to becoming Bradford. Tongue

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Fotina02

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard is child of Catholic father and Hindu convert mother. Tulsi embraced Hinduism as a teenager.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:23:47 PM by Fotina02 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: