OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 06:14:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiero minor orders?  (Read 647 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: December 12, 2011, 06:40:42 PM »

Are there hierosubdeacons? Hieroreaders? Hierocantors? Or would some of the tonsure to such a position also be conferred with monastic tonsure? If not, how widespread are these offices?

I'm also curious as to how widespread the monastic diaconate is, if anyone has any information on that.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:10 PM »

I'm also curious as to how widespread the monastic diaconate is, if anyone has any information on that.

I've found about 7 in the POC, 0-2 per monastery.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:15:22 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »

Every monastery I've been to has had deacons.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »

Are there hierosubdeacons? Hieroreaders? Hierocantors? Or would some of the tonsure to such a position also be conferred with monastic tonsure? If not, how widespread are these offices?

While technically there would be nothing wrong with nomenclature of using Hiero there seems to be this dichotomy between the minor orders and monastics. It is noticeable in how one receives communion. Even when a monk is of a minor order he is still communed as Monk Name. In the order of presvia the monastic stands before the non-monastic in duty.

What is of note, in every monastery I have visited, if a non-monastic subdeacon is present he is communed before the monastics that are not subdeacons.

Joseph
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »

I've never understood the use of the prefix "hiero", given it means "priest" or "priestly".

It makes sense in the case of a priest-monk -- a "hieromonk" -- but I don't understand how it can be correctly applied to the "hierodeacon".

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »

I've never understood the use of the prefix "hiero", given it means "priest" or "priestly".

It makes sense in the case of a priest-monk -- a "hieromonk" -- but I don't understand how it can be correctly applied to the "hierodeacon".

Nor to sub-deacons, readers, acolytes, chanters, etc...

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »

I was just thinking this myself, a few minutes ago. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:14:18 AM »

Hiero doesn't mean priest. It's sacred (as in Iera Moni), if I remember right and (again, if I recall correctly), when dealing with hieromonks and hierodeacons comes from older Byzantine times to separate married clergy from monastic clergy. I read about where "ίερο" comes from but it's been a while. Maybe someone has better information.
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 03:15:43 AM »

I will add that I've never personally heard it applied to anyone except monastic priests & deacons.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:03:51 AM »

In the Slavic usage 'hiero' prefix appeals to monastics. But it is confusing a bit. Hierodeacon is a monk-deacon but the monk-presbyter is hieromonk instead of hieropresbyter.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: