OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 12:10:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 22554 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #675 on: March 11, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

Whoa!  Nine_Two is now also suspended?

Crazy.

Meh, I stopped following threads on CAF. All interesting posters are either banned or laying low. Only silly people who create threads like "I went to my first Byzantine Mass" are left.

Why do you consider them "silly"?

The names of those threads pretty much gives it away. And besides, they usually don't have enough knowledge to participate in interesting debates. Those debates were the main reason why I kept reading CAF.

True.  Now it is just a round of, "It's not Mass, its Divine Liturgy."  "Yes, you are Catholic you can receive Communion."  "Follow what everyone else does."  "You can cross yourself any which way you like."  Etc.

Okay, whatever...I rarely go there and even more rarely follow any of the threads.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #676 on: March 11, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »

Whoa!  Nine_Two is now also suspended?

Crazy.

Meh, I stopped following threads on CAF. All interesting posters are either banned or laying low. Only silly people who create threads like "I went to my first Byzantine Mass" are left.

Why do you consider them "silly"?

The names of those threads pretty much gives it away. And besides, they usually don't have enough knowledge to participate in interesting debates. Those debates were the main reason why I kept reading CAF.

True.  Now it is just a round of, "It's not Mass, its Divine Liturgy." 

One thing I've learned is that there isn't enough time in life to correct all the mistakes people make. Personally, I think "My Church is a Church, not a Rite" is a higher priority than "It's not Mass, its Divine Liturgy." 

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #677 on: March 11, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

Yes. I noticed that it has become your mission to correct that mistake  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:08:46 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
choy
Archon

« Reply #678 on: March 11, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »

Of course its nice to help people curious about Eastern Catholicism (which I highly regard as the "gateway faith" to Orthodoxy Wink ) but its nice if there's some deeper theological discussions ongoing.  And with all the regulars gone, it will be just the "newbies".
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #679 on: March 11, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »

Of course its nice to help people curious about Eastern Catholicism (which I highly regard as the "gateway faith" to Orthodoxy Wink ) but its nice if there's some deeper theological discussions ongoing.  And with all the regulars gone, it will be just the "newbies".

But I never inhaled.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #680 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »

Yes. I noticed that it has become your mission to correct that mistake  Smiley

Actually, I think I'm just behind-the-times. A few years ago it was a pretty widespread struggle between people who say "22 Eastern Catholic Rites" and people who correct people who say "22 Eastern Catholic Rites".

choy
Archon

« Reply #681 on: March 11, 2013, 04:50:21 PM »

One thing I've learned is that there isn't enough time in life to correct all the mistakes people make. Personally, I think "My Church is a Church, not a Rite" is a higher priority than "It's not Mass, its Divine Liturgy." 

Well, it is a Rite Wink
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #682 on: March 16, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »

You're right about the RCs telling the ECs, they should believe everything the Romans teach.  I have even talked to some RCs (i.e. PJM) who cannot honestly understand why Eastern theology is so contradictory to what Rome teaches and yet they are still in "communion" with the Latin church.

Its like forcing two opposing magnets together.  You can do it but with much difficulty...
choy
Archon

« Reply #683 on: March 21, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »

Dear CAF,

This is what your Pope thinks what a non-Catholic forum should look like:

The Orthodox gets to sit at his right hand.  Wink
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #684 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »

The Orthodox gets to sit at his right hand.  Wink

"Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool."

Smiley

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #685 on: March 21, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »

nvm
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:30:16 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #686 on: March 21, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »

EDIT: Argh, you're fast.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:31:08 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #687 on: March 21, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »

EDIT: Argh, you're fast.

Yeah...I just didn't think that engaging in a Urinary Olympics during Great Lent was the most appropriate course of action.  Wink

JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #688 on: March 21, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »

Quite frankly, I don't know why we even bother....
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #689 on: March 22, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »

The same thought has crossed my mind more than once.

JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »

Finally, something we can agree on.....
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #691 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »

Finally, something we can agree on.....

A Lenten miracle!! Grin Grin

(Hey, there's always something we can find to agree on, just that on this forum it proves somewhat challenging  Wink.)

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #692 on: March 27, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »

I just visited CAF and there was a debate on the filioque (those are fun  Roll Eyes) and someone quoted the filioque in the Athanasian creed and asked whether the Orthodox call St. Athanasius a lier. I wanted to smash my head through the computer screen.

To be fair through, an Orthodox Christian responded by saying that St. Athanasius was not infallible. I'm not going back again to CAF. I think I prefer the maps to remarks as intelligent as these.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:12:26 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #693 on: March 27, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »

I just visited CAF and there was a debate on the filioque (those are fun  Roll Eyes) and someone quoted the filioque in the Athanasian creed and asked whether the Orthodox call St. Athanasius a lier. I wanted to smash my head through the computer screen.

To be fair through, an Orthodox Christian responded by saying that St. Athanasius was not infallible. I'm not going back again to CAF. I think I prefer the maps to remarks as intelligent as these.

I've never been on CAF, mainly because my closest connection to Roman Catholicism is via my grandmother so I never really felt like it was 'my place'. A couple of time Catholic acquaintances here and elsewhere have suggested I go and see (years ago it has to be said) - looking at this thread, it seems I did the wise thing in declining.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #694 on: March 27, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »

By the way, the only one who gave the correct answer to the rhetorical question of the Latin was our very own dzheremi. He was the only one who was able to point out that the Athanasian Creed is a forgery. Dzheremi saved my head and my computer screen  Smiley

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #695 on: March 27, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »

I just visited CAF and there was a debate on the filioque (those are fun  Roll Eyes) and someone quoted the filioque in the Athanasian creed

Actually, it says that Spirit is "of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten; but proceeding" ("Spiritus Sanctus a Patre et Filio: non factus, nec creatus, nec genitus, sed procedens.")

Or at least, that's how I first learned it, and Wikipedia agrees.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #696 on: March 27, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »

I meant the doctrine, not the actual wording. I knew that it used et filio (Really!  Tongue)

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #697 on: March 27, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »

By the way, the only one who gave the correct answer to the rhetorical question of the Latin was our very own dzheremi. He was the only one who was able to point out that the Athanasian Creed is a forgery. Dzheremi saved my head and my computer screen  Smiley

It's funny...I thought that was common knowledge, but maybe it isn't on internet forums. I remember when they taught us the "Athanasian" Creed when I was RC, they said it was attributed to him by medieval RC tradition (pretty much what I said in the post). There's nothing at all to indicate that it is related to him outside of that.

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #698 on: March 27, 2013, 12:40:16 PM »

It's funny...I thought that was common knowledge, but maybe it isn't on internet forums. I remember when they taught us the "Athanasian" Creed when I was RC, they said it was attributed to him by medieval RC tradition (pretty much what I said in the post). There's nothing at all to indicate that it is related to him outside of that.
The things I have read about the "Athanasian Creed" indicate that it was written in southern France sometime in the late fifth or early sixth century, a hundred or more years after the time of St. Athanasios.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #699 on: March 27, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »

The things I have read about the "Athanasian Creed" indicate that it was written in southern France sometime in the late fifth or early sixth century, a hundred or more years after the time of St. Athanasios.

I've read that it was written in Vandal-occupied North-Africa. In either case the document wasn't written by St. Athanasius.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #700 on: March 27, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »

Most Greek Horologia still include the (pseudo-)Athanasian Creed, of course without the Filioque. I think this goes back to the time when Greeks had their books printed in Venice. A footnote in a Horologion printed there in 1856 explains:

Semeiosai, hoti to anothen Symbolon tou Megalou Athanasiou, synkrithen tois archaiotatois cheirographois tois sozomenois en te tou hagiou Markou Bibliotheke, kai symphonon heurethen gnesion te kai homophonoun te gnome tes Orthodoxou Ekklesias, edoxe touto typothenai. Ta gar typothenta en Parisiois kai allothi diapherousi kata te ten phrasin kai ten ennoian. Touto de, aparallakton kai tou en Moschodia typothentos, eusebei gnome entautha prosetethe.

"We mention that the Symbol of the Great Athanasios printed above was compared to the oldest manuscripts kept in the Library of St. Mark and, since it was found according, authentic and in agreement with the mind of the Orthodox Church, it was judged fit to be printed. The versions printed in Paris and in other places are discordant both in their phrasing and in their intention (with the Orthodox faith), but this one, just like the one printed in Moscow, was added here in good faith." 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:49:46 PM by Romaios » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #701 on: March 27, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »

Most Greek Horologia still include the (pseudo-)Athanasian Creed, of course without the Filioque.

The Athanasian Creed says that Spirit is "of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten; but proceeding". It doesn't say "the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son".

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #702 on: March 27, 2013, 06:46:54 PM »

Most Greek Horologia still include the (pseudo-)Athanasian Creed, of course without the Filioque.

The Athanasian Creed says that Spirit is "of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten; but proceeding". It doesn't say "the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son".

Well, the Greek version I was referring to goes like this:

Τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον ἀπὸ τοῦ Πατρός, οὐ πεποιημένον οὔτε δεδημιουργημένον οὔτε γεγεννημένον, ἀλλ'ἐκπορευτόν.

"The Holy Spirit [is] from the Father - neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding".

The Latin original has:

Spiritus Sanctus a Patre et Filio: non factus, nec creatus, nec genitus, sed procedens.

* et Filio = Filioque.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:59:50 PM by Romaios » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #703 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

I've been receiving CAF emails asking for money. Could someone please give them the $11,000 (!) they are asking for?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #704 on: June 11, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »

I've been receiving CAF emails asking for money. Could someone please give them the $11,000 (!) they are asking for?

I think I speak for everyone hear when I say

no Eastern Christianity Forum = no donations

(Well, maybe not everyone here. But most.)

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #705 on: June 12, 2013, 02:16:06 AM »

Well, the Greek version I was referring to goes like this:

Τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον ἀπὸ τοῦ Πατρός, οὐ πεποιημένον οὔτε δεδημιουργημένον οὔτε γεγεννημένον, ἀλλ'ἐκπορευτόν.

"The Holy Spirit [is] from the Father - neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding".

The Latin original has:

Spiritus Sanctus a Patre et Filio: non factus, nec creatus, nec genitus, sed procedens.

* et Filio = Filioque.
The claim is that the filioque was a later addition to the original Athanasian creed, which did not have it.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #706 on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:14 AM »

Most of us would be banned by the end of the week anyway. They don't take kindly to debate over there. Strange for an apologetics forum.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:09:28 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #707 on: June 12, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

Most of us would be banned by the end of the week anyway. They don't take kindly to debate over there. Strange for an apologetics forum.

Yet there are still a few of us who manage to hang on over there ... AND here ... both boards have their pros & cons.  Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #708 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »

Oh, by all means, allow me to check my pockets....................Nope not a cent......Then again Im one of the "Banned for Lifers"...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:22:43 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #709 on: August 02, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »

I apologize in advance for revisiting the subject of CAF - but this couldn't pass without comment ...

The EC (remember, that's 'Eastern Catholic' these days - not 'Eastern Christi0anity' as it was in our time) forum Mod has posted some new guidelines there on charitable and civil debate.

In keeping with the rules here, I won't quote her post, but the essence is that posters should think of themselves as "robots". When someone objects to something they've posted, they should run it through a decision-making chart and, having discerned the appropriate factual and non-emotional response, they should post that with "encyclopedia-like neutrality".

The narrative text is followed by debate guidelines, several of which are pretty mundane. But, my definite favorite - in keeping with the narrative that precedes the guidelines - is ...  

"Remember: your goal is to sound like an encyclopedia robot."   Shocked

Why didn't I think of that in my day as mod over there?  Huh

The place never ceases to amaze.

Many years,

Neil
Probably because the bias in favor of Eastern Orthodoxy was palpable. When the moderator is allowing threads celebrating a Catholic's defection to Eastern Orthodoxy, he certainly cannot give the advice the provided above. He'd have to practice what he preaches first.
What's the problem? From your church's position, they were just moving to the other lung.

In Christ,
Andrew
The other lung is the collection of eastern traditions and theology, not the Eastern Orthodox Church, which we still view as being in schism from the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. The fact that the Catholic Church views it in this way, can be seen from the magisterium's response to the Zohby initiative.

If this is totally true, why are Orthodox Christians allowed to commune in RC churches?
Good questions. Probably because your faith is close enough to ours, and that you have a partial unity with Catholics, in that you have valid sacrments. This does not mean we think you are the Church, but we do think that elements of the Church exist in Eastern Orthodoxy. Evidence that we don't view your Church as part of "the Church" is found in the fact that we will not concelebrate liturgy with the Eastern Orthodox.
Au contraire.  When the Metropolitan in Transylvania did so, he was almost deposed: the Holy Synod let him off with a severe warning, to him and others.  I don't recall the Vatican saying a thing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #710 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »

well, they are sorry.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #711 on: August 02, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »

Since the thread is still going, thought you might be somewhat amused to know that a certain Eastern Catholic monk who posts there regularly was suddenly banned for several hours in the EC subforum. He asked about it and was told by the moderator that it was an accident, and he's since been reinstated.

But the *really* interesting part is that I asked him about this on Facebook (where he's a friend) and he later told me he had received a PM from an administrator scolding him about our conversation there!  Shocked

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #712 on: August 03, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

But the *really* interesting part is that I asked him about this on Facebook (where he's a friend) and he later told me he had received a PM from an administrator scolding him about our conversation there!  Shocked

I'd love to read what he had to say about us.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #713 on: August 03, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »

Since the thread is still going, thought you might be somewhat amused to know that a certain Eastern Catholic monk who posts there regularly was suddenly banned for several hours in the EC subforum. He asked about it and was told by the moderator that it was an accident, and he's since been reinstated.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #714 on: August 03, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »

Oh, by all means, allow me to check my pockets....................Nope not a cent......Then again Im one of the "Banned for Lifers"...
Me too! but it was my own fault. In my youthful stupidity, I cursed at one of moderators through PM. Sigh. That was years ago, but still Sad

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #715 on: August 03, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

Well, I'm just waiting for her (not him, hint hint!) to contact me about my comments here.  Roll Eyes

JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #716 on: August 03, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

Sounds like things haven't changed any over there.......
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #717 on: August 12, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »

Not trying to white-wash catholic.com, but it ought to be said that each side does have it's own quirks.

For example, I often get the impression that the Orthodox are a bit shocked whenever Catholics actually believe what the Vatican says we have to believe. (And I don't tell me it's my overactive imagination ... Nah, I'm just kidding you can tell me.)

JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »

Not trying to white-wash catholic.com, but it ought to be said that each side does have it's own quirks.

For example, I often get the impression that the Orthodox are a bit shocked whenever Catholics actually believe what the Vatican says we have to believe. (And I don't tell me it's my overactive imagination ... Nah, I'm just kidding you can tell me.)

In actuality, Im shocked when they DONT believe in what the Vatican says they have to do believe...
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #719 on: August 12, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »

In actuality, Im shocked when they DONT believe in what the Vatican says they have to do believe...
I'm more shocked that the Vatican not only says it, but says it's infallible.

Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: