OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:31:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 21378 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #630 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »

P.S. I sometimes wonder how things would be different if CAF had made it an "Eastern Catholicism" section right along, rather than making it the "Eastern Christianity" section for so long and then changing it suddenly.

That was the originally intended format - in fact, I think I recollect that it was briefly implemented under that title (real old-timers from CAF help me out, am I remembering correctly?).

Blame or credit, depending on your perspective, for the change of nomenclature goes to me in my alter ego of 'Joe Monahan', the original EC mod there. I successfully fought for the change to make it a more pan-Eastern environment, pointing out that ECs and EOs had more in common to discuss than either of us did with Latins or those of other faiths.

It seems to me (not speaking with any certainty here, just from reading-between-the-lines of what people say on this forum) that Orthodox generally want CAF to have an Eastern Christianity section.

At the very least, can we state the Orthodox side without being censored for it?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #631 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:31 PM »

P.S. I sometimes wonder how things would be different if CAF had made it an "Eastern Catholicism" section right along, rather than making it the "Eastern Christianity" section for so long and then changing it suddenly.

That was the originally intended format - in fact, I think I recollect that it was briefly implemented under that title (real old-timers from CAF help me out, am I remembering correctly?).

Blame or credit, depending on your perspective, for the change of nomenclature goes to me in my alter ego of 'Joe Monahan', the original EC mod there. I successfully fought for the change to make it a more pan-Eastern environment, pointing out that ECs and EOs had more in common to discuss than either of us did with Latins or those of other faiths.

It seems to me (not speaking with any certainty here, just from reading-between-the-lines of what people say on this forum) that Orthodox generally want CAF to have an Eastern Christianity section.

At the very least, can we state the Orthodox side without being censored for it?

That's all you ask? (Wink)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
choy
Archon

« Reply #632 on: January 15, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »

That's all you ask? (Wink)

Not just for Orthodoxy.  I find that many people are afraid to hear the side of others.  I mean, if Catholicism is the truth, what can a Protestant or Orthodox say to sway people from their side to convert?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #633 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »

Not just for Orthodoxy.  I find that many people are afraid to hear the side of others. 

Tell me about it. It's like the people on OCnet who have no interest in anything Catholics (much less protestants) have to say.

But anyhow here's what I was driving at: Most of us here agree that the changes that happened at CAF, about a half-dozen years ago, were a big disappointment. (I have a friend who disagrees, but he's in a pretty small minority.) But I've never been able to figure out whether it would have been fine, from an Orthodox pov, if CAF had never had an Eastern Christianity section to begin with (as distinct from having it but then suddenly removing it).

choy
Archon

« Reply #634 on: January 15, 2013, 07:13:05 PM »

Not just for Orthodoxy.  I find that many people are afraid to hear the side of others. 

Tell me about it. It's like the people on OCnet who have no interest in anything Catholics (much less protestants) have to say.

But anyhow here's what I was driving at: Most of us here agree that the changes that happened at CAF, about a half-dozen years ago, were a big disappointment. (I have a friend who disagrees, but he's in a pretty small minority.) But I've never been able to figure out whether it would have been fine, from an Orthodox pov, if CAF had never had an Eastern Christianity section to begin with (as distinct from having it but then suddenly removing it).

And that is the difficulty.  Given that Eastern Catholics want to be "Orthodox in communion with Rome", how can there be an honest discussion about Eastern Catholicism without touching on Orthodox theology?  That is why you get these RCs there telling ECs that they should believe everything the RC teaches instead of what Orthodoxy teaches.  From the EC perspective, this impacts their own theology, at least in how it is discussed over at CAF and how people who only get exposed to ECs in that forum percieve the ECs.
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #635 on: January 15, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

You're right about the RCs telling the ECs, they should believe everything the Romans teach.  I have even talked to some RCs (i.e. PJM) who cannot honestly understand why Eastern theology is so contradictory to what Rome teaches and yet they are still in "communion" with the Latin church.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
choy
Archon

« Reply #636 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »

You're right about the RCs telling the ECs, they should believe everything the Romans teach.  I have even talked to some RCs (i.e. PJM) who cannot honestly understand why Eastern theology is so contradictory to what Rome teaches and yet they are still in "communion" with the Latin church.

Well, the claim is that "they are saying the same thing using different words."

I realize they don't, that is why I'm Orthodox today.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #637 on: January 15, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »

I don't mind Latins telling us all that we should believe what they do (they don't just do this to Eastern Catholics, after all). In fact, I would question their commitment to their faith if they didn't do that. What I don't like is when I'm told repeatedly how my church and our fathers agree with the Latins or are sooooo much (more) like the Latins (than the EO are), and if I were really knowledgeable I would see that. Oh, and also the whole "my agreed statements -- let me show you them" thing. That is irritating in the extreme. The cherry-picking fathers is bad enough without the muddled world of modern ecumenism giving some people a sense of superiority about their apostasy.

...Mardukm, basically, is what I'm saying. I don't like Mardukm.

Not that I'm terribly fond of basically anyone else on that website, either. All my favorite people got banned or cut their posting down to once a month, it seems.

choy
Archon

« Reply #638 on: January 15, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »

Not that I'm terribly fond of basically anyone else on that website, either. All my favorite people got banned or cut their posting down to once a month, it seems.

Awwwww... shucks  Wink
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #639 on: January 16, 2013, 06:05:35 AM »

Once upon a time, long, long ago, one could. Those were the days ...

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #640 on: January 16, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »

This. There were some pretty nice, somewhat educative debates there. Now most of those knowledgable people either got banned, suspended or are just laying low.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #641 on: January 16, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »

This. There were some pretty nice, somewhat educative debates there. Now most of those knowledgable people either got banned, suspended or are just laying low.

My favorites from there are here.  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #642 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »

I was posting on that one thread, which hasn't been closed, but conversation on it seems to have stopped since the mod-post with the forum rules. Plus the fact that I've been suspended. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:53:32 AM by Peter J » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #643 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »

In the early days, it was relatively uncommon to see anyone, except ECs and EOs, post in that forum. Posts by either of us in other fora there were generally unappreciated, usually either ignored or met with responses along the line of "we're discussing the way 'Catholics' do things".

Many years,

Neil

It's the same thing today.  I've been warned so many times for bringing up Eastern Catholicism in the Liturgy and Sacraments Forum which is for Western Sacraments (though the forum description never mentions it).  And it's not like I'm saying "Eastern Sacraments are better".  I'm just offering a different perspective to what the East believes and views the topic at hand.

Isn't that the plight of "Eastern Catholics" and "Orthodox United to Rome"?

Btw, I was banned from the "Liturgy and Sacraments" forum for calling them on the sanctimony of the Corban factories a/k/a the Vatican's marriage tribunals.  IIRC, the topic came up from some cheap and facile attack on Orthodox discipline.  The Mod, knowing that I couldn't respond, sent me a PM stating with all the authority of a petty tyrant, that I "certainly do not know anything about Catholic [sic] sacrament."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #644 on: January 16, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

I don't mind Latins telling us all that we should believe what they do (they don't just do this to Eastern Catholics, after all).

So we've got 2 different issues here: "Latins" on the one hand saying "You should believe what we believe" and on the other hand saying "If you want to be in communion with us, then you should/must believe what we believe". The problem comes in, however, when people treat the latter statement as being equally true for a Catholic-who-wants-to-stay-Catholic as for someone converting to Catholicism.

In fact, I would question their commitment to their faith if they didn't do that. What I don't like is when I'm told repeatedly how my church and our fathers agree with the Latins or are sooooo much (more) like the Latins (than the EO are),

I'm amazed every time that happens (well, maybe not so much anymore now that I've encountered it so many times). It's one thing (albeit still incorrect, but understandable) if people think that Catholics and EOs are very close and the OOs are far off, but ...

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #645 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »

In the early days, it was relatively uncommon to see anyone, except ECs and EOs, post in that forum. Posts by either of us in other fora there were generally unappreciated, usually either ignored or met with responses along the line of "we're discussing the way 'Catholics' do things".

Many years,

Neil

It's the same thing today.  I've been warned so many times for bringing up Eastern Catholicism in the Liturgy and Sacraments Forum which is for Western Sacraments (though the forum description never mentions it).  And it's not like I'm saying "Eastern Sacraments are better".  I'm just offering a different perspective to what the East believes and views the topic at hand.

Not always. In fact, 7 points of the Union of Brest were dedicated to the rights of Eastern Catholics on the internet.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #646 on: January 16, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »

I don't mind Latins telling us all that we should believe what they do (they don't just do this to Eastern Catholics, after all).
So we've got 2 different issues here: "Latins" on the one hand saying "You should believe what we believe" and on the other hand saying "If you want to be in communion with us, then you should/must believe what we believe". The problem comes in, however, when people treat the latter statement as being equally true for a Catholic-who-wants-to-stay-Catholic as for someone converting to Catholicism.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're making, Peter. I just meant that if those of the Roman communion are convinced that they are the Church, then it is right for them to tell everyone who is not in communion with them that they must believe in points X, Y, Z (i.e., whatever it is that is essential to union with Rome) in order to be in the Church. The Orthodox Church would certainly say the same to any who wished to become Orthodox: We believe X, so you have to believe X (not Y) if you want to join the Church.

choy
Archon

« Reply #647 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »

In fact, I would question their commitment to their faith if they didn't do that. What I don't like is when I'm told repeatedly how my church and our fathers agree with the Latins or are sooooo much (more) like the Latins (than the EO are),

I'm amazed every time that happens (well, maybe not so much anymore now that I've encountered it so many times). It's one thing (albeit still incorrect, but understandable) if people think that Catholics and EOs are very close and the OOs are far off, but ...

Thing is the Catholic Church has internally resolved the differences in belief between East and West.  So no need for these overeager Latins to tell the ECs they are wrong when the hierarchy is telling them it is okay.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #648 on: January 16, 2013, 04:17:59 PM »

You mean the first distinction (between "You should believe what we believe" and "If you want to be in communion with us, then you should/must believe what we believe") or the second distinction (between a Catholic-who-wants-to-stay-Catholic and someone converting to Catholicism)? Seems to me that both distinctions are pretty undeniable.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #649 on: January 16, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »

You mean the first distinction (between "You should believe what we believe" and "If you want to be in communion with us, then you should/must believe what we believe") or the second distinction (between a Catholic-who-wants-to-stay-Catholic and someone converting to Catholicism)? Seems to me that both distinctions are pretty undeniable.

I agree with dzheremi, the second makes absolutely no sense to me. Converts and cradles in Orthodoxy share the same faith, why should it different for Catholicism?
choy
Archon

« Reply #650 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »

I agree with sheenj.  What is the difference for a new convert to EC and one who is a cradle?  They have the same faith.  Now, is that faith expressed the same way as the Latins.  As the Vatican has acknowledged, there are differences in traditions.  Therefore those must be respected.  These people in the forum asserting that ECs should do as they say is not respecting the differences in traditions.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #651 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:07 AM »

Many years,

Neil

Not always. In fact, 7 points of the Union of Brest were dedicated to the rights of Eastern Catholics on the internet.
Yes, but Ultramontanism being what it is, it wasn't worth the paper it was written on as far as "rights of Eastern Catholics."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #652 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »

I agree with dzheremi, the second makes absolutely no sense to me. Converts and cradles in Orthodoxy share the same faith, why should it different for Catholicism?

It isn't.  My wife is a cradle Catholic, I'm a convert.  We share precisely the same faith.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #653 on: January 18, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »

Well, the claim is that "they are saying the same thing using different words."
I realize they don't, that is why I'm Orthodox today.

Yes, me too, I could never figure out why the Vatican could come to an agreement on parallel theologies and claiming they are at one with each other.
With this mindset and belief system I can envision making other exceptions with Anglicans, Lutherans and Episcopalians.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #654 on: January 18, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »

It isn't.  My wife is a cradle Catholic, I'm a convert.  We share precisely the same faith.

Yes, I'm familiar with your history. I know you joined the Catholic Church, then left Catholicism for Orthodoxy, then later left Orthodoxy for Catholicism. (Not that you ever claimed that I had a bad memory. Smiley)

choy
Archon

« Reply #655 on: January 23, 2013, 04:21:38 PM »

So I went to CAF because someone sent me a PM (warms the heart that so many people love me despite my craziness).  Then the forum has this message for me:

Hello ConstantineTG,

It appears that you have not posted on our forums in quite some time.

Well, duh!
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #656 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »

So I went to CAF because someone sent me a PM (warms the heart that so many people love me despite my craziness).  Then the forum has this message for me:

Hello ConstantineTG,

Well, duh!
I still get messages from them. In fact, I might have gotten a birthday greeting this year.  I've got a couple of donation appeals.

choy
Archon

« Reply #657 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »

Hello ConstantineTG,

Well, duh!
I still get messages from them. In fact, I might have gotten a birthday greeting this year.  I've got a couple of donation appeals.

The message I got is from another user.

Funny if they ask for donations from people they ban  Grin maybe they should allow you to remit some of your suspension by paying some amount of money.  A certain amount is equivalent to days of suspension time.  Hhhmmm... why does this sound familiar?  Grin
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #658 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »

Hello ConstantineTG,

Well, duh!

Funny if they ask for donations from people they ban  Grin maybe they should allow you to remit some of your suspension by paying some amount of money.  A certain amount is equivalent to days of suspension time.  Hhhmmm... why does this sound familiar?  Grin

Yes, you may have hit on something here.........Heck I cant remember when I was excommunicated from CAF.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #659 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »

Hello ConstantineTG,

Well, duh!

That's the funniest thing I've read here in weeks.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »

It is rude and tasteless. But pray for them. Deliberate or not, it is just sad.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
choy
Archon

« Reply #661 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »

It's probably just whatever script they have that posts these messages do not take into account suspensions and banning.  Maybe it is just a test scenario they overlooked when testing the system.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #662 on: January 23, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »

It's probably just whatever script they have that posts these messages do not take into account suspensions and banning.  Maybe it is just a test scenario they overlooked when testing the system.

Yeah, or like those automated birthday wishes I get from every forum I ever signed up for. At least 3 different atheist forums still wish me a happy birthday even though I haven't posted at any of them for years.  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #663 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »

Yeah, or like those automated birthday wishes I get from every forum I ever signed up for. At least 3 different atheist forums still wish me a happy birthday even though I haven't posted at any of them for years.  Grin

It must be some evangelical doctrine they are trying to emulate:

Once an atheist - always an atheist.

Once saved - always saved.

If the first is true, I'm pretty much lost.

I'd like to believe the second, despite being convinced it's heretical.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:45:09 PM by Romaios » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #664 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »

It occurs to me, why hasn't this been quoted on this thread? "And why seest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye; and seest not the beam that is in thy own eye?" - Matthew 7:3

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #665 on: January 31, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »

It occurs to me, why hasn't this been quoted on this thread? "And why seest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye; and seest not the beam that is in thy own eye?" - Matthew 7:3
because CAF has wacked many of us in the eye with their beam.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #666 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:20 AM »

Ah, there we go. I just knew there was a reason that quote was relevant to a bunch of posters getting together on OCnet to talk about how-bad-caf-is. Now I know what it is.  Grin  Cool

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #667 on: February 01, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »

Ah, there we go. I just knew there was a reason that quote was relevant to a bunch of posters getting together on OCnet to talk about how-bad-caf-is. Now I know what it is.  Grin  Cool
to be fore-warned is to be fore-armed.

choy
Archon

« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »

Now I feel bad that I couldn't partake of the huge discussion regarding the current events surrounding the Pope.
choy
Archon

« Reply #669 on: March 11, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »

Whoa!  Nine_Two is now also suspended?

Crazy.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #670 on: March 11, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »

Crazy.

Meh, I stopped following threads on CAF. All interesting posters are either banned or laying low. Only silly people who create threads like "I went to my first Byzantine Mass" are left.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:18:37 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
choy
Archon

« Reply #671 on: March 11, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

Crazy.

Meh, I stopped following threads on CAF. All interesting posters are either banned or laying low. Only silly people who create threads like "I went to my first Byzantine Mass" are left.

I go in to check PMs.  I still get quite a few.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #672 on: March 11, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Crazy.

Why do you consider them "silly"?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #673 on: March 11, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »

Crazy.

The names of those threads pretty much gives it away. And besides, they usually don't have enough knowledge to participate in interesting debates. Those debates were the main reason why I kept reading CAF.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:25:27 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
choy
Archon

« Reply #674 on: March 11, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »

Crazy.

The names of those threads pretty much gives it away. And besides, they usually don't have enough knowledge to participate in interesting debates. Those debates were the main reason why I kept reading CAF.

True.  Now it is just a round of, "It's not Mass, its Divine Liturgy."  "Yes, you are Catholic you can receive Communion."  "Follow what everyone else does."  "You can cross yourself any which way you like."  Etc.
Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: