OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 02:14:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 24851 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #585 on: January 10, 2013, 04:33:41 AM »

Me, Life time ban.... bad boy  Cheesy

Been there, done that  Grin
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #586 on: January 10, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »

I have seen on Byzcath
http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/389390/1
that Mardukm has been censored, and his posts pulled, on CAF for issues he has debated (without problem IIRC) here.

I'm one of those he butted heads with and I don't think it is what he said that is the problem, but how he says it.  It is very much part of his reply routine to take a jab or two at someone personally while telling them they are wrong.  I've left threads that I debated with him because I am becoming too uncharitable or have already crossed that line and realized I should stop.

For the record, I have never reported him to the mods, but given that he ticks a lot of people off I am not surprised if a number did report him.

I'd have to disagree. I've known mardukm online at Byzcath and CAF for many years and have watched him go through several phases in that time - initially from Coptic Orthodox to Coptic Catholic. When still Orthodox, he was a relatively infrequent and not very outspoken poster. After he made the transition between Churches, he gradually ratcheted up both the frequency and outspokenness of his posts.

Initially, his outlook and posting appeared to me, and many others, to be highly latinized. Subsequently, he mellowed somewhat, but remained 'very Catholic' - perhaps not as hard-core, but still western in many of his views. In the last couple of years, his postings have seemed to me to reflect a significantly more eastern outlook - still 'Catholic', but less inclined to be accepting of being treated like a red-haired stepchild by Rome.

However, through all that time, I've never observed him to be someone who injected personal jabs into his debates and can't imagine that to have been a significant factor in his suspension or banning, whichever it was that they laid on him. I rather suspect that his less than full enthusiasm for the doctrine or dogma of the Immaculate Conception was his undoing - that would be about par for a site that doesn't understand anything about the distinctions in theological understanding between West and East.

But, I suspect that anyone who can legitimately claim full understanding of the CAF mentality could also explain the Theory of Relativity in a way that could be understood by 2 year olds. Being able to do either of those things would be a true wonderment. Any site that can view my good friend, Michael/Hesychios, as someone deserving of a ban can hardly be expected to exercise soound judgment in analyzing the dangers that more outspoken posters pose to the faith of the Latin masses for which the site operates.

But, what do I know? having myself been spotted for the rabble-rousing, Catholic-bashing, Orthodox in Catholic clothing that I clearly am? They found me out! (I rather suspect that they're still watching and waiting for me to declare that I've 'doxed - cause they're absolutely convinced that it's due to happn any day, week, month, or year now Cheesy )

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:39:09 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #587 on: January 10, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »

I was banned for two lifetimes.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #588 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath
that Mardukm has been censored, and his posts pulled, on CAF for issues he has debated (without problem IIRC) here.

I'm one of those he butted heads with and I don't think it is what he said that is the problem, but how he says it.  It is very much part of his reply routine to take a jab or two at someone personally while telling them they are wrong.  I've left threads that I debated with him because I am becoming too uncharitable or have already crossed that line and realized I should stop.

For the record, I have never reported him to the mods, but given that he ticks a lot of people off I am not surprised if a number did report him.

I'd have to disagree. I've known mardukm online at Byzcath and CAF for many years and have watched him go through several phases in that time - initially from Coptic Orthodox to Coptic Catholic. When still Orthodox, he was a relatively infrequent and not very outspoken poster. After he made the transition between Churches, he gradually ratcheted up both the frequency and outspokenness of his posts.

Initially, his outlook and posting appeared to me, and many others, to be highly latinized. Subsequently, he mellowed somewhat, but remained 'very Catholic' - perhaps not as hard-core, but still western in many of his views. In the last couple of years, his postings have seemed to me to reflect a significantly more eastern outlook - still 'Catholic', but less inclined to be accepting of being treated like a red-haired stepchild by Rome.

However, through all that time, I've never observed him to be someone who injected personal jabs into his debates and can't imagine that to have been a significant factor in his suspension or banning, whichever it was that they laid on him. I rather suspect that his less than full enthusiasm for the doctrine or dogma of the Immaculate Conception was his undoing - that would be about par for a site that doesn't understand anything about the distinctions in theological understanding between West and East.

But, I suspect that anyone who can legitimately claim full understanding of the CAF mentality could also explain the Theory of Relativity in a way that could be understood by 2 year olds. Being able to do either of those things would be a true wonderment. Any site that can view my good friend, Michael/Hesychios, as someone deserving of a ban can hardly be expected to exercise soound judgment in analyzing the dangers that more outspoken posters pose to the faith of the Latin masses for which the site operates.

But, what do I know? having myself been spotted for the rabble-rousing, Catholic-bashing, Orthodox in Catholic clothing that I clearly am? They found me out! (I rather suspect that they're still watching and waiting for me to declare that I've 'doxed - cause they're absolutely convinced that it's due to happn any day, week, month, or year now Cheesy )

Many years,

Neil

Maybe he likes you Neil.  But I am not the only person who says this, so I'm pretty sure I am not imagining things.  He does have a high respect for people who agree with him, but don't we all?

And to be fair, its not like I'm trying to talk behind his back here. I know he can read this if he wants to.  I've already openly called him out on those personal jabs on CAF many, many times.  I'm not trying to gossip about him here, he knows what I am talking about.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:03:05 PM by choy » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #589 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »

I'm close to pulling up even with you  Grin

I'm not planning to be back though.  By the time the ban is lifted I would have completed my Papal Apostasy  Grin
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #590 on: January 10, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »

I'm close to pulling up even with you  Grin

I'm not planning to be back though.  By the time the ban is lifted I would have completed my Papal Apostasy  Grin

I have, at times, gone a good while without participating there. But ultimately I'm always glad that I've never been banned, so I have the option of returning later.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #591 on: January 10, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »

Or....you could just start a thread titled something like "Down With the Heretical Schismatic Papacy!!" in the Eastern Christianity forum. 

I really need to start paying better attention over there.

Why? Cheesy

Well, not to be overly hard on myself, but if I didn't notice the return of the Eastern Christianity forum then I should go back to grad school.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #592 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »

Or....you could just start a thread titled something like "Down With the Heretical Schismatic Papacy!!" in the Eastern Christianity forum. 

Why? Cheesy

Well, not to be overly hard on myself, but if I didn't notice the return of the Eastern Christianity forum then I should go back to grad school.

I just noticed that the forum is actually called "Eastern Catholicism".  Shows you how much time I spend over there. Grin  Maybe *I* should go back to grad school.  Oops..wait...I never went to begin with  Grin Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
choy
Archon

« Reply #593 on: January 10, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »

I have, at times, gone a good while without participating there. But ultimately I'm always glad that I've never been banned, so I have the option of returning later.

I actually prematurely changed my religious affiliation there to OCA catechumen because I was planning on leaving and not coming back.  But it was irresistable  Grin

I'm glad I'm suspended.  It would really force me to stop going there which on my own I cannot do.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #594 on: January 10, 2013, 02:03:18 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath

I think the criticisms against certain apologetical elements in certain Catholic and Orthodox circles in that thread are spot on. I'm going to have to remember the "Magisterium of Lay Apologists."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #595 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath

I think the criticisms against certain apologetical elements in certain Catholic and Orthodox circles in that thread are spot on. I'm going to have to remember the "Magisterium of Lay Apologists."
Wait, are you saying the Orthodox aren't perferct? I'm shocked.

Wink

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #596 on: January 10, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

Why? Cheesy

I just noticed that the forum is actually called "Eastern Catholicism".  Shows you how much time I spend over there. Grin  Maybe *I* should go back to grad school.  Oops..wait...I never went to begin with  Grin Grin.

CAF did have an Eastern Christianity section but it changed several years ago, before you signed up I believe.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #597 on: January 10, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath

They're not the only ones hoping on that  Wink.

But any site that can ban Hesychios has some fatal flaws and serious problems, as was shown also in their treatment of you.

As for Mardukm's jabs, he can engage into pseudo-psycho-analysis of someone's motives, context and background, which can be offputting-if you take it serious. Although I always found him an enthusiastic supporter of the IC, on several threads here and elsewhere.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #598 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath

But any site that can ban Hesychios has some fatal flaws and serious problems, as was shown also in their treatment of you.

As for Mardukm's jabs, he can engage into pseudo-psycho-analysis of someone's motives, context and background, which can be offputting-if you take it serious. Although I always found him an enthusiastic supporter of the IC, on several threads here and elsewhere.
I agree with you on Hesychios. He had some very informative comments and posts.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »

I have seen on Byzcath

I'm one of those he butted heads with and I don't think it is what he said that is the problem, but how he says it.  It is very much part of his reply routine to take a jab or two at someone personally while telling them they are wrong.  I've left threads that I debated with him because I am becoming too uncharitable or have already crossed that line and realized I should stop.

You know what would be great? It just occurred to me: if CAF reversed the process with Hesychios. I mean, instead of first making him a moderator and then banning him (as they did with Neil), they should make him a moderator after banning him. They've already completed step one. Smiley

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #600 on: January 11, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath

I'm one of those he butted heads with and I don't think it is what he said that is the problem, but how he says it.  It is very much part of his reply routine to take a jab or two at someone personally while telling them they are wrong.  I've left threads that I debated with him because I am becoming too uncharitable or have already crossed that line and realized I should stop.

You know what would be great? It just occurred to me: if CAF reversed the process with Hesychios. I mean, instead of first making him a moderator and then banning him (as they did with Neil), they should make him a moderator after banning him. They've already completed step one. Smiley

How very Kafkaesque. laugh

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #601 on: January 11, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath

How very Kafkaesque. laugh

You need somebody who understands your references. Who is Kafkaesque? I've never-- I don't know him. There's another woman. And her name is Italy... and skydiving... and bungee jumping.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #602 on: January 11, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »

He was speaking of this guy  Wink

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #603 on: January 14, 2013, 04:47:24 AM »

Peter,

Be sure to let me know the day that they appoint an Orthodox member as a mod over there - I want to jot the Commemoration of the Day That Hell Froze Over down on my liturgical calendar.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #604 on: January 14, 2013, 05:27:39 AM »

Apparently it's against the rules now to tell a Catholic that the existence of your church is in no way evidence in favor of the Roman papacy, nor the claims of its partisans. Roll Eyes

And then just when I was ready to say "nuts to this place, I'm leaving", someone who currently lists their faith as RC sends me a message asking how to go about converting from RCism to Coptic Orthodoxy.

Good one, God.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #605 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »

Peter,

Be sure to let me know the day that they appoint an Orthodox member as a mod over there - I want to jot the Commemoration of the Day That Hell Froze Over down on my liturgical calendar.

Many years,

Neil

Heh, would that be less likely than appointed someone who was previously banned?

Well, actually, I guess it probably would.

Grin

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #606 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »

Apparently it's against the rules now to tell a Catholic that the existence of your church is in no way evidence in favor of the Roman papacy, nor the claims of its partisans. Roll Eyes

And then just when I was ready to say "nuts to this place, I'm leaving", someone who currently lists their faith as RC sends me a message asking how to go about converting from RCism to Coptic Orthodoxy.

Good one, God.

Better be careful, the moderator over there has actually stated in some of her comments that she sees comments made at other boards - like this one - and I bet she will be looking a lot harder at your posts now!  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #607 on: January 14, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »

Good. Maybe she'll be the next one to ask me about converting. Grin

choy
Archon

« Reply #608 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »

Good one, God.

The short time I was on there since I changed my religious affiliation, I got I think 3 people PM me about Orthodoxy.
choy
Archon

« Reply #609 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »

Good one, God.

Better be careful, the moderator over there has actually stated in some of her comments that she sees comments made at other boards - like this one - and I bet she will be looking a lot harder at your posts now!  Grin

Those Papists.  Grin Grin Grin
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #610 on: January 14, 2013, 02:41:57 PM »

Better be careful, the moderator over there has actually stated in some of her comments that she sees comments made at other boards - like this one -
That's probably a good thing. I mean, as it is, people tend to quite outspoken in their criticism of CAF; I hate to think what it would be like if the mod didn't read this forum. Wink

choy
Archon

« Reply #611 on: January 14, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »

Better be careful, the moderator over there has actually stated in some of her comments that she sees comments made at other boards - like this one -
That's probably a good thing. I mean, as it is, people tend to quite outspoken in their criticism of CAF; I hate to think what it would be like if the mod didn't read this forum. Wink

LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #612 on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »

You're making me paranoid. We're being watched!

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #613 on: January 14, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are you laughing in your sleep? Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:16:41 PM by Peter J » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #614 on: January 14, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »

You're making me paranoid. We're being watched!

On another note, while we are not oblivious to the fact that anyone can read our posts here and they are more than welcome to read our posts here, maybe they should spend more time reading posts in their own boards.  Because a lot of people get away with more over there.  Or perhaps it is their policy to really let anyone whose displayed religious affiliation is "Catholic" to just have their way especially against non-Catholics, and with non-Catholics it is martial rule.  Seriously, I got away with A LOT of things until I changed my affiliation to Orthodox and then in 2 weeks I got suspended for 4 months.  Some people got on my nerves there and I have called people worse things than "Papists" and yet I got scott-free because I was Catholic.
choy
Archon

« Reply #615 on: January 14, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »

LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are you laughing in your sleep? Cheesy

You're comment is so funny I had to laugh even through my sleep  Grin
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #616 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »

Good one, God.

Don't you mean to say "Those Absolutist and High Petrines!"?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
choy
Archon

« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »

Good one, God.

In Christ,
Andrew

Now you tell me!  Maybe I wouldn't have been suspended if I used that phrase instead  Grin Grin
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #618 on: January 14, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »

Good one, God.

In Christ,
Andrew

Of course if you literally said that, as distinct from posting it on the internet, it's unlikely that whoever you were talking to would have any idea what you were talking about.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #619 on: January 14, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »

Good one, God.

In Christ,
Andrew

Of course if you literally said that, as distinct from posting it on the internet, it's unlikely that whoever you were talking to would have any idea what you were talking about.
Oh of course. It's just a Mardukism. Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #620 on: January 14, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »

Choy,

I'm sad that you got suspended.  I've always found your posts to be very informative.  Many of the Orthodox posters which are still there are quite knowledgeable, even more so than myself.  Yet I've always found the CAF moderators to be like the "Secret Police".  I log in one day, and I notice some poster is "Banned" with no explanation or reason given.   That's one thing I appreciate about our moderators, they let us know when we screw up -- and how we screwed up, by stating what we did or did not do.  We also have a course of action to appeal, which I believe you don't have at CAF.   

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
choy
Archon

« Reply #621 on: January 14, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »

Choy,

I'm sad that you got suspended.  I've always found your posts to be very informative.  Many of the Orthodox posters which are still there are quite knowledgeable, even more so than myself.  Yet I've always found the CAF moderators to be like the "Secret Police".  I log in one day, and I notice some poster is "Banned" with no explanation or reason given.   That's one thing I appreciate about our moderators, they let us know when we screw up -- and how we screwed up, by stating what we did or did not do.  We also have a course of action to appeal, which I believe you don't have at CAF.   

The mod let me know why I was suspended.  Of course it was on a PM so others won't know.  Mod said I was hateful and derogatory in my use of "Papists" even though I explained what is the problem with the Papists I am talking about.  This is what I was told:

Your use of the word papist smacks of being confrontational, contemptuous, disparaging, inciteful, insulting, or taunting. You are suspended until May 9.

And this is what I said...

And this is the biggest problem of papists. That being a "head" always meant "authority", and "authority" always means "power". That is not what Christ is nor the Apostles nor what the Bishops are meant to be. While Christ is all-powerful being God, he was humility personified. He humbled himself that he is immortal God who took on mortal flesh and died for us. He came to serve, not to rule. That is why the Jews were disappointed in him, they were expecting an early king, one who rules with power and authority who will defeat the Romans and reestablish the kingdom of Israel. But what did Christ do? He did not sit on a throne and gave orders, he did the dirty work himself. That is why he washed the feet of the Apostles. This is why women want to be priests, because they think they are being deprived a position of power that they demand equal access to. What is wrong there is not about women wanting to be priests, because we ALL are priests (as per 1 Peter) as members of the Church. What is wrong is the perception that the priesthood is about power. It is not. We submit to the teachings of the Apostles because of their own faith and their bearing witness to Christ's life and passion and resurrection, not because they are "in charge". Because the basis of our faith is not authority, but truth. And truth stands on its own. No authority can change the truth or make the truth.

So I do not know how that is confrontational, contemptuous, disparaging, inciteful, insulting, or taunting.  Okay, maybe confrontational.  I clearly laid out my point instead of just using a word and let it be negatively interpreted.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #622 on: January 14, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »

Why? Cheesy

CAF did have an Eastern Christianity section but it changed several years ago, before you signed up I believe.

P.S. I sometimes wonder how things would be different if CAF had made it an "Eastern Catholicism" section right along, rather than making it the "Eastern Christianity" section for so long and then changing it suddenly.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #623 on: January 14, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »

Choy,

I'm sad that you got suspended. 

Maybe they'll reduce the number of months, for good behavior. Smiley

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #624 on: January 15, 2013, 02:15:17 AM »

P.S. I sometimes wonder how things would be different if CAF had made it an "Eastern Catholicism" section right along, rather than making it the "Eastern Christianity" section for so long and then changing it suddenly.

That was the originally intended format - in fact, I think I recollect that it was briefly implemented under that title (real old-timers from CAF help me out, am I remembering correctly?).

Blame or credit, depending on your perspective, for the change of nomenclature goes to me in my alter ego of 'Joe Monahan', the original EC mod there. I successfully fought for the change to make it a more pan-Eastern environment, pointing out that ECs and EOs had more in common to discuss than either of us did with Latins or those of other faiths.

In the early days, it was relatively uncommon to see anyone, except ECs and EOs, post in that forum. Posts by either of us in other fora there were generally unappreciated, usually either ignored or met with responses along the line of "we're discussing the way 'Catholics' do things".

Many years,

Neil

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #625 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »

I notice that even though the stated policy now is that the "Eastern Catholicism" forum is for EC's and the "Non-Catholic Religions" forum is for EO's, more and more topics relating to EO are popping up in the EC, without the moderator stopping them.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #626 on: January 15, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »

I notice that even though the stated policy now is that the "Eastern Catholicism" forum is for EC's and the "Non-Catholic Religions" forum is for EO's, more and more topics relating to EO are popping up in the EC, without the moderator stopping them.

You just reminded of something interesting that happened there a few years ago.

I started a thread about Orthodoxy in the Non-Catholic Religions section (I forget what the exact topic was, possibly relating to a then-recent zenit article about Orthodoxy), and then not long afterwards someone else created a thread in the Eastern Catholicism section on the same topic. This was of course very understandable and he soon afterwards said that he wouldn't have done so if he had noticed there was already a thread on the topic. Now before someone says "How is that interesting?" let me just add that, not long after, the first thread (and its OP and some of its other posts) was deleted and most of the replies on it were transferred to the second thread.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #627 on: January 15, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »

Some have been moved recently, such as the "Why don't EO quote Western Church Fathers" thread.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #628 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

That was the originally intended format - in fact, I think I recollect that it was briefly implemented under that title (real old-timers from CAF help me out, am I remembering correctly?).

Blame or credit, depending on your perspective, for the change of nomenclature goes to me in my alter ego of 'Joe Monahan', the original EC mod there. I successfully fought for the change to make it a more pan-Eastern environment, pointing out that ECs and EOs had more in common to discuss than either of us did with Latins or those of other faiths.

In the early days, it was relatively uncommon to see anyone, except ECs and EOs, post in that forum. Posts by either of us in other fora there were generally unappreciated, usually either ignored or met with responses along the line of "we're discussing the way 'Catholics' do things".

Many years,

Neil

It's the same thing today.  I've been warned so many times for bringing up Eastern Catholicism in the Liturgy and Sacraments Forum which is for Western Sacraments (though the forum description never mentions it).  And it's not like I'm saying "Eastern Sacraments are better".  I'm just offering a different perspective to what the East believes and views the topic at hand.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #629 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »

It seems to me (not speaking with any certainty here, just from reading-between-the-lines of what people say on this forum) that Orthodox generally want CAF to have an Eastern Christianity section.

Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: