OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 02:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 22664 times) Average Rating: 0
Clemente

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #540 on: November 19, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »

I was banned for a month on CAF for writing that the major problem most Evangelicals have with Roman Catholicism is "Mary, Mary and Mary".

Well, it is.

I just thanked the moderators in a private message for leading me to Orthodoxy and for their sincere efforts. And then I never returned.

choy
Archon

« Reply #541 on: November 19, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »

I was banned for a month on CAF for writing that the major problem most Evangelicals have with Roman Catholicism is "Mary, Mary and Mary".

Well, it is.

I just thanked the moderators in a private message for leading me to Orthodoxy and for their sincere efforts. And then I never returned.

I remember when I complained to one of the apologists via PM that one of the apologetics crossed the line.  It was someone asking about how Holy Water is used and asked if it is okay to drink Holy Water.  The apologist said it was superstitious for someone to do that, so I said that Eastern Catholics do that as part of our tradition.  Then I got this reply about yeah but they were explaining the RC tradition which is what the site was all about.  I said that is okay, but they can't call something superstitious if it is being practiced by someone they are in communion with even though it is not in their own tradition.

But you are right, that site has played a big part in leading me on the path to Orthodoxy Wink
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #542 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »

If your spiritual life is based upon what you read online, it's time to do some serious reevaluating.
choy
Archon

« Reply #543 on: November 19, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »

If your spiritual life is based upon what you read online, it's time to do some serious reevaluating.

It is not as simple as it may seem.  It's not just because we were offended by some Catholics online so we decided to leave the Church.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #544 on: November 19, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »

I think the mod just doesn't want us Eastern Catholics telling Roman Catholics how good we have it  Grin

I mean, with Communion in both kinds and married Priests and kids under the age of reason receiving Chrismation (confirmation) and Communion, they might jump en masse from Roman Catholicism into Eastern Catholicism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I don't see any intrinsic reason that that wouldn't happen, but history strongly suggests that it won't.

I wasn't expecting the game of checkers.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
choy
Archon

« Reply #545 on: November 19, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »

I think the mod just doesn't want us Eastern Catholics telling Roman Catholics how good we have it  Grin

I mean, with Communion in both kinds and married Priests and kids under the age of reason receiving Chrismation (confirmation) and Communion, they might jump en masse from Roman Catholicism into Eastern Catholicism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I don't see any intrinsic reason that that wouldn't happen, but history strongly suggests that it won't.

I wasn't expecting the game of checkers.

Which is why it boggles my mind why they are so sensitive about comments that try to catechize
Roman Catholics about Eastern Catholic practices.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #546 on: November 19, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

I remember when I complained to one of the apologists via PM that one of the apologetics crossed the line.  It was someone asking about how Holy Water is used and asked if it is okay to drink Holy Water.  The apologist said it was superstitious for someone to do that, so I said that Eastern Catholics do that as part of our tradition.  Then I got this reply about yeah but they were explaining the RC tradition which is what the site was all about.  I said that is okay, but they can't call something superstitious if it is being practiced by someone they are in communion with even though it is not in their own tradition.

Did anyone mention Lourdes?

choy
Archon

« Reply #547 on: November 19, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »

Did anyone mention Lourdes?

Ooohhh, good point!
choy
Archon

« Reply #548 on: January 09, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »

heheheheh, I just got my "final warning"  Grin
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #549 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »

What happened now? I haven't been on in a few days.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
choy
Archon

« Reply #550 on: January 09, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Paraphrasing here, but I am too anti-Pope  Grin
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #551 on: January 09, 2013, 02:06:43 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Is that a sin now?Huh?

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
choy
Archon

« Reply #552 on: January 09, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Is that a sin now?Huh?

If you're Catholic and as per Pastor Aeternus, then yes.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #553 on: January 09, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Does that mean that you are anti-Pope also, or that you are too much anti-Pope (whatever that means)? Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #554 on: January 09, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »

I'm jealous; have never even gotten a warning. Why can't I get banned too??

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #555 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:36 PM »

Because you are a reasonable person.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #556 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »

I never got a warning either.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
JR
Elder

« Reply #557 on: January 09, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »

I never got a warning either.

Snap.

Mother Teresa
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #558 on: January 09, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »

I'll bet if you came across as strongly pro-Orthodox and critical of the Catholic Church, especially using exclamation points and bolding your text, you'd make a pretty good start on it.  Wink

Or....you could just start a thread titled something like "Down With the Heretical Schismatic Papacy!!" in the Eastern Christianity forum.  That'd probably do it.  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #559 on: January 09, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »

Or....you could just start a thread titled something like "Down With the Heretical Schismatic Papacy!!" in the Eastern Christianity forum. 

I really need to start paying better attention over there.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #560 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »

Or....you could just start a thread titled something like "Down With the Heretical Schismatic Papacy!!" in the Eastern Christianity forum. 

I really need to start paying better attention over there.

Why? Cheesy

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #561 on: January 09, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »

I never got any warning.

Something about being "Orthodox Not in Communion with Rome" must have rattled some cage over there.

Banned within 3 minutes of the post.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #562 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »

I never got any warning.

Something about being "Orthodox Not in Communion with Rome" must have rattled some cage over there.

Bad boy!!!!  Cool

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #563 on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »

I never got any warning.

Bad boy!!!!  Cool

Grin

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #564 on: January 09, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath
http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/389390/1
that Mardukm has been censored, and his posts pulled, on CAF for issues he has debated (without problem IIRC) here.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
choy
Archon

« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »

Because you are a reasonable person.

+1 Smiley
choy
Archon

« Reply #566 on: January 09, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »

Does that mean that you are anti-Pope also, or that you are too much anti-Pope (whatever that means)? Grin

LOL :p

I guess both! Cheesy
choy
Archon

« Reply #567 on: January 09, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »

I have seen on Byzcath
http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/389390/1
that Mardukm has been censored, and his posts pulled, on CAF for issues he has debated (without problem IIRC) here.

I'm one of those he butted heads with and I don't think it is what he said that is the problem, but how he says it.  It is very much part of his reply routine to take a jab or two at someone personally while telling them they are wrong.  I've left threads that I debated with him because I am becoming too uncharitable or have already crossed that line and realized I should stop.

For the record, I have never reported him to the mods, but given that he ticks a lot of people off I am not surprised if a number did report him.
choy
Archon

« Reply #568 on: January 09, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »

Oh, I am suspended. LOL!!!

Your use of the word papist smacks of being confrontational, contemptuous, disparaging, inciteful, insulting, or taunting. You are suspended until May 9.

This is a final warning. The next time a moderator needs to send a notice for contemptuous behavior, you will be banned from further participation on the forums.

Those papists.

Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:27:39 PM by choy » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #569 on: January 09, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »

So, it's almost "perp walk" time...

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #570 on: January 09, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »

Does Mardukm post on OC.net? For what it's worth, I actually preferred debate/discussion with him on CAF to some of the other, shall we say, more emotional posters.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:37:55 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #571 on: January 09, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »

For people who used to be Catholic and are Orthodox now or are becoming Orthodox: Do you find it more difficult to express yourself on CAF outside of moderation, as well? Because I haven't been disciplined since September, but it seems like anything I post is taken as an attack on Rome, or somehow proving the Latins' point, or something like that. And increasingly it seems like I'll be making some point (or at least thinking that I am!) and the replies from my Catholic interlocutors are completely unrelated. I don't really even know what to do about that. I feel like I might as well be posting in wingdings font, for as well as my conversations go over there 99% of the time (except with one or two posters, who are generally too smart to get involved in these discussions).

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #572 on: January 09, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »

For people who used to be Catholic and are Orthodox now or are becoming Orthodox: Do you find it more difficult to express yourself on CAF outside of moderation, as well? Because I haven't been disciplined since September, but it seems like anything I post is taken as an attack on Rome, or somehow proving the Latins' point, or something like that. And increasingly it seems like I'll be making some point (or at least thinking that I am!) and the replies from my Catholic interlocutors are completely unrelated. I don't really even know what to do about that. I feel like I might as well be posting in wingdings font, for as well as my conversations go over there 99% of the time (except with one or two posters, who are generally too smart to get involved in these discussions).

Not at all. Again, the OC.net obsession with that darn CAF and thinking they're all of a sudden supposed to agree with you. "All of you RCCers are wrong. Wait, why don't you like me?"

It's their board. Don't worry about it.

choy
Archon

« Reply #573 on: January 09, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »

Yes.  I have been questioning the Papacy since at least Summer.  And then only now when I changed my "religion" on CAF to "OCA catechumen" I suddenly get suspended for 5 months.  I have not changed my tone from where it was 5 months ago.  I guess this falls into that "PC" mentality, that it is okay to disparge a certain group if you belong to that group, but if you are not part of that group then you are racist, hateful, bigotted, etc.

I've also had other CAF posters suddenly come down very hard on me the moment I updated "religion".  And I reminded them that it is not about me being negative about Catholicism because I am leaving it, I have been talking that way for a while now even when I was fully a Catholic.
choy
Archon

« Reply #574 on: January 09, 2013, 06:02:27 PM »

Not at all. Again, the OC.net obsession with that darn CAF and thinking they're all of a sudden supposed to agree with you. "All of you RCCers are wrong. Wait, why don't you like me?"

Those of us who are concerned (in some way, shape or form) are current or former posters of CAF.  We're just comparing notes here.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #575 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »

Yes.  I have been questioning the Papacy since at least Summer.  And then only now when I changed my "religion" on CAF to "OCA catechumen" I suddenly get suspended for 5 months.  I have not changed my tone from where it was 5 months ago.  I guess this falls into that "PC" mentality, that it is okay to disparge a certain group if you belong to that group, but if you are not part of that group then you are racist, hateful, bigotted, etc.

I've also had other CAF posters suddenly come down very hard on me the moment I updated "religion".  And I reminded them that it is not about me being negative about Catholicism because I am leaving it, I have been talking that way for a while now even when I was fully a Catholic.

It's an RCC site. When you go on that site and you question them, and you say you want to quit their church, what are they supposed to do, kiss you?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #576 on: January 09, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »

Those of us who are concerned (in some way, shape or form) are current or former posters of CAF.  We're just comparing notes here.

I'm a current member of CAF too. And there was a big purge of Orthodox members a long time ago, because many of them really were rude and disruptive. I should know; I was the target of their verbal abuse on many occasions. I won't name names, because some of them are still here and I for some reason don't want to get banned. But I know what I know.

Why was it so hard for some of that crowd to admit they maybe shouldn't have done what they did, and they messed it up for everybody? Do Orthodox people just think they're never wrong?  Huh

choy
Archon

« Reply #577 on: January 09, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »

I'm a current member of CAF too. And there was a big purge of Orthodox members a long time ago, because many of them really were rude and disruptive. I should know; I was the target of their verbal abuse on many occasions. I won't name names, because some of them are still here and I for some reason don't want to get banned. But I know what I know.

Why was it so hard for some of that crowd to admit they maybe shouldn't have done what they did, and they messed it up for everybody? Do Orthodox people just think they're never wrong?  Huh

Its not about being right or wrong.  I do admit some people do handle the discussion better than others but the issue is, why can't we have such discussions?  It seems that if you are not Catholic you can only say nice things about the Catholic Church regardless of what your views are or even what the truth is.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #578 on: January 09, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »

The comment about wingdings font is right on. I feel like they take no time trying to understand the Orthodox position, and when it becomes clear that they do not really understand it, they just fall back on a bunch of irrelevant prooftexts. I think posting those walls of prooftexts must be to hide their own insecurity or something.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #579 on: January 09, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »

Not at all. Again, the OC.net obsession with that darn CAF and thinking they're all of a sudden supposed to agree with you.

CAF is the topic of this thread, so it's not quite an obsession to bring it up here. And I was asking about being understood, not agreed with. I already know that RCs and I disagree on some things, and don't expect that to change.

"All of you RCCers are wrong. Wait, why don't you like me?"

Is that what I wrote?

Meh. I wouldn't say 'worry' is the right word here. I was just curious if anyone else had been experiencing the same phenomenon.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #580 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »

Again, the OC.net obsession with that darn CAF

And here I thought I was the only one who believed that obsession exists.  Grin

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #581 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »

Yes.  I have been questioning the Papacy since at least Summer.  And then only now when I changed my "religion" on CAF to "OCA catechumen" I suddenly get suspended for 5 months.  

Wow. (no emoticon required)

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #582 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:47 AM »

Hmm. The longest I was suspended was one month. I guess Choy is five times more anti-Pope than me. I do my best, darn it! Cry

choy
Archon

« Reply #583 on: January 10, 2013, 02:35:26 AM »

Sorry guys, bad math. Its only 4 months :p

JR
Elder

« Reply #584 on: January 10, 2013, 02:41:59 AM »

Me, Life time ban.... bad boy  Cheesy

Mother Teresa
Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: