OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:24:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 21144 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #495 on: October 27, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »

I still think it's weird for RC's to venerate saints like St. Mark of Ephesus.
Haha. Agreed. There might be problem with certain EO saints. I don't think that St. Mark of Ephesus is venerated by neither the Latin, nor the Byzantine Churches.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #496 on: October 27, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »

Yeah...Apotheoun, Cavaradossi, Nine_Two...there are good quality posters there, but they are outnumbered by others who want to assert Roman prerogatives over even Eastern Catholics' own devotions, as we see again most recently in arguments about how ECCs shouldn't celebrate post-schism Eastern saints, which is just silly.

I'm actually a trifle surprised to hear you say that.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #497 on: October 27, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »

Think about it, Peter J: If the Melkites, for instance, came into union with Rome in the 17th century, isn't it a bigger disruption to their traditional spirituality (which Rome has called them, and the other Eastern Catholic Churches, to come back to) to tell them to stop venerating saints from their Orthodox past, in order that they should be "more Catholic" or what have you? A similar example could be made of, say, St. Isaac of Nineveh who is venerated in both the EO and OO (and as far as I know, also in the Catholic communion), despite not being a member of either. To put it another way, a person's Orthodoxy does not change based on who venerates him. If the Melkites want to venerate post-schism saints from their pre-Catholic days, why not? I would much rather have Coptic Catholics looking to the likes of St. Severus (if that happens; I don't know, I just mean it as an example) than Thomas Aquinas or Therese of Lisieux or someone else who really has no basis being in their tradition but is suddenly held up as an example for them purely because it's somehow 'wrong' to venerate their own saints. If it wouldn't have been wrong before the 18th century when they came into union with Rome, why is it suddenly wrong now? Unless, of course, you want to say it's Rome's prerogative to deform their traditional spirituality (which I think would be most honest, but also not anything an ECC would be likely to say/admit/believe), at which point you'd have to wonder what it means to be an Eastern Catholic at all. Either Rome is really serious about this "return to your traditions" thing or she isn't.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:37:46 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #498 on: October 27, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »

Alright, I guess the question is: Does it cut both ways? Specifically, we know that you regard it as silly for Catholics to say that other Catholics shouldn't celebrate post-schism Orthodox saints ... but do you also think it's silly for Orthodox to say that other Orthodox shouldn't celebrate post-schism Catholic saints? (I would be surprised if you said Yes to that, but based on your last post I'm guessing you won't.)

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »

The difference, Peter J, is that since the Eastern Catholic Churches did not exist until several centuries after the Great Schism, it is not alien to their (Orthodox, or at least Orthodox-rooted) tradition to venerate post-schism saints that were already commemorated prior to their union with Rome. There is no such similar circumstance regarding Roman Catholic saints vis-a-vis the Orthodox Church.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #500 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »

The difference, Peter J, is that since the Eastern Catholic Churches did not exist until several centuries after the Great Schism, it is not alien to their (Orthodox, or at least Orthodox-rooted) tradition to venerate post-schism saints that were already commemorated prior to their union with Rome. There is no such similar circumstance regarding Roman Catholic saints vis-a-vis the Orthodox Church.

I guess we are, to some extent, on the same page. I do think that uniatism had a certain "bait and switch" element to it. (That might sound a bit cliche. If so I'm sorry, but I can't think of a better way of putting it, at least not at the moment.) Kinda lacking the old you'll-have-to-change-which-saints-you-venerate-once-you're-Catholic speech.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #501 on: October 30, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »

Did my last post result in thread-closure? I honestly didn't see that coming.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #502 on: October 30, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »

No, it didn't. The thread is still open...  Huh

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #503 on: October 30, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »

I was a little vague there. By "my last post" I meant this. (I would quote it but ... well, you know.)

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #504 on: October 30, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »

Alright, I guess the question is: Does it cut both ways? Specifically, we know that you regard it as silly for Catholics to say that other Catholics shouldn't celebrate post-schism Orthodox saints ... but do you also think it's silly for Orthodox to say that other Orthodox shouldn't celebrate post-schism Catholic saints? (I would be surprised if you said Yes to that, but based on your last post I'm guessing you won't.)
submitting to the Vatican requires so much revisionism, what is a little more?  Conforming to Orthodoxy requires a great deal and strict standards.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
choy
Archon

« Reply #505 on: October 30, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »

I was a little vague there. By "my last post" I meant this. (I would quote it but ... well, you know.)

No, it wasn't your post.  Did you get a warning?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #506 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »

submitting to the Vatican requires so much revisionism, what is a little more? 

(pats ialmisry on the back) Now that's the spirit!

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #507 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »

No, but I'm still surprised the thread is closed.

Oh well.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #508 on: October 31, 2012, 05:38:19 AM »

That thread is indeed amusing.

On a OC.net diet.
choy
Archon

« Reply #509 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »

No, but I'm still surprised the thread is closed.

Oh well.

I reported the thread.  I was told in the past not to repond to ad hominems and just report it.  I was already more than halfway with my response when I remembered this and cooler heads prevailed.
choy
Archon

« Reply #510 on: November 01, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »

That was surprising
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #511 on: November 01, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »

PeterJ got suspended? What for?

On a OC.net diet.
choy
Archon

« Reply #512 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »

I just got suspended too
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #513 on: November 01, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »

I just got suspended too
It's not that hard. Soon they will be up there with the Fish Eaters.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #514 on: November 01, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

I just got suspended too

Pretty sure they're looking for a reason to ban you, Choy.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #515 on: November 01, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »

I guessing, though I could be wrong, that none of those suspensions are very hefty. Just a few days.

choy
Archon

« Reply #516 on: November 01, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »

Last time it was for 24 hours for me.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #517 on: November 01, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »

Wow. Only 24 hours? I got suspended for a month for "uncharitable" posts about Islam. Hmmm...

choy
Archon

« Reply #518 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »

I think it was 24 hours.  I can't remember exactly.  I don't know how long the current one will go.  Does it tell you anywhere?
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #519 on: November 01, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »

You should receive a PM that states that you've been suspended. Or at least I did. And then when I tried to log in, it said "Your account is suspended. Duration: One month." Maybe they've changed the regulations on how suspensions work recently, though, as I have been told by others that the way I was suspended wasn't in line with CAF's stated procedure (as there was no warning or anything).

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #520 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »

They banned me once, without ever telling me why at all. No messages, nothing. Later, I went back under a different name. They didn't catch it because by then, I also had a different computer and e-mail.

Do I win something?  laugh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
choy
Archon

« Reply #521 on: November 02, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »

yup, it was just 24 hours
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #522 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »

Is the current one just 24 hours too?

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
choy
Archon

« Reply #523 on: November 02, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »

Is the current one just 24 hours too?

Yes

Different mods give different lengths of suspension.  I think I was suspended for a week by the Liturgy and Sacraments mod.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:52:21 PM by choy » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2012, 08:19:14 PM »

I just got suspended too

Fish Eaters kind of depresses me. When I'm there, I feel like we're on the verge of a good (or great) conversation, yet I just know the opportunity will be ruined somehow.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #525 on: November 03, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »

I'd like to pose a question to all of you who are not on CAF these days: Would you return if they once again had an Eastern Christianity Forum (assuming that they unbanned those of you who have been banned)?

As a great General once said:  "Nuts"

You mean "Vous n'étes que des vieilles noix".

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #526 on: November 06, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

Incidentally, I'm technically back on CAF as of last night / this morning; but I don't exactly have something on the tip of my tongue that I've just been waiting to say (I haven't read much of anything there in the last few days).

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #527 on: November 06, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »

I just got suspended too

Fish Eaters kind of depresses me. When I'm there, I feel like we're on the verge of a good (or great) conversation, yet I just know the opportunity will be ruined somehow.
I find the general atmosphere to be just a bit strange. I can understand the attachment of the posters to traditon. I too wish that we could eliminate modernism in the Church. It's also understandable why the posters want to remain Catholic. That is the faith they know. But in the case of many FE posters, their position is inconsistent. If theses people really believe that the Catholic Church has defected, then it seems that one can no longer believe that the Catholic Church is the Church of the Apostles.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
choy
Archon

« Reply #528 on: November 06, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

If theses people really believe that the Catholic Church has defected, then it seems that one can no longer believe that the Catholic Church is the Church of the Apostles.

But they believe their mission is to restore orthodoxy in the Church (that is Latin orthodoxy as defined by Trent).
choy
Archon

« Reply #529 on: November 18, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »

So apparently you are not allowed to talk about the Eastern Rites for Sacraments in the Liturgy and Sacraments section
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #530 on: November 18, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

So apparently you are not allowed to talk about the Eastern Rites for Sacraments in the Liturgy and Sacraments section
I discovered that 4 years ago. :p I hardly ever post there as I found the people to be too fanatical and paranoid. Some of them make the Spanish Inquisition look like a game of checkers.  Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
choy
Archon

« Reply #531 on: November 18, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »

I just got an infraction for agreeing with someone (who is Orthodox) that the Eucharist should be distributed with both Body and Blood of Christ.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #532 on: November 18, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »

I just got an infraction for agreeing with someone (who is Orthodox) that the Eucharist should be distributed with both Body and Blood of Christ.
Shame on you! You just betrayed the teachings of Catholic Faith! You, schismatic, you!  Tongue  Cheesy that's okay. The worst that happened to me was getting a rebuke from Marduk about becoming Orthodox and some posts/threads deleted without warning.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #533 on: November 18, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »

I was suspended for a month for telling a fellow Christian that Islam is false even if his Muslim friends are really nice. CAF can be a bit confusing at times...much like the RCC itself, I suppose.

choy
Archon

« Reply #534 on: November 18, 2012, 06:57:49 PM »

Shame on you! You just betrayed the teachings of Catholic Faith! You, schismatic, you!  Tongue  Cheesy that's okay. The worst that happened to me was getting a rebuke from Marduk about becoming Orthodox and some posts/threads deleted without warning.

In Christ,
Andrew

Yes, shame on me!  The Eastern Catholic Rites of Sacraments should never be discussed in the Sacraments section of a Catholic forum.  Never!  Roll Eyes Grin
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #535 on: November 19, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »

Not only that, but 90-some% of Roman Catholic parishes now distribute the Body and Blood both at each Mass, along with (afaik) all the Eastern Catholic ones, and the Orthodox. So what sense does a truly Catholic (as opposed to Truly Traditional Tridentine Catholic [In Name Only](R)) forum have in shutting down discussion like that Huh Huh

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #536 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »

Not only that, but 90-some% of Roman Catholic parishes now distribute the Body and Blood both at each Mass, along with (afaik) all the Eastern Catholic ones, and the Orthodox. So what sense does a truly Catholic (as opposed to Truly Traditional Tridentine Catholic [In Name Only](R)) forum have in shutting down discussion like that Huh Huh

Ah, gotcha! Utraquist!

On a OC.net diet.
choy
Archon

« Reply #537 on: November 19, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »

I think the mod just doesn't want us Eastern Catholics telling Roman Catholics how good we have it  Grin

I mean, with Communion in both kinds and married Priests and kids under the age of reason receiving Chrismation (confirmation) and Communion, they might jump en masse from Roman Catholicism into Eastern Catholicism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #538 on: November 19, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »

they might jump en masse from Roman Catholicism into Eastern Catholicism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And we all know what happens next  Tongue

On a OC.net diet.
choy
Archon

« Reply #539 on: November 19, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »

they might jump en masse from Roman Catholicism into Eastern Catholicism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And we all know what happens next  Tongue

HAHAHAHAH!  Maybe that is why I get reprimanded for giving the "Eastern point of view"  Grin

"See what happened to you (me)!"  Tongue
Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: