OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:19:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 24034 times) Average Rating: 0
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »

It's been a while since I've even lurked CAF, but I've wished for some time that mardukm would come over here where conversation isn't so... hindered. I think a conversation between ialmisry and mardukm would be so full of red font and maps, it would be epic.

I cannot imagine what possible reason they had to concoct to ban Hesychios. Words escape me.

I didn't know ConstantineTG was here, is he still EC?

For the moment Wink

Nice to see you around these parts. I'm sure you don't even know me since I was 95% pure lurker on CAF, but all the same, glad you're here.

Thanks!  At least your one person who recognizes me and didn't bring a pitchfork and a torch Cheesy

Ha! I wouldn't be able to decide which one to bring. Wink Just realized I never said, I'm NinjaSnark on CAF. Although people tended to read that as NinjaShark, which is admittedly cooler.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »

Yeah, I did that. Sorry. Haha.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »

Yeah, I did that. Sorry. Haha.

You weren't the only one. Wink

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »

Does CAF support The New Evangelization?

The New Evangelization calls each of us to deepen our faith, believe in the Gospel message and go forth to proclaim the Gospel. The focus of the New Evangelization calls all Catholics to be evangelized and then go forth to evangelize. In a special way, the New Evangelization is focused on 're-proposing' the Gospel to those who have experienced a crisis of faith.Pope Benedict XVI called for the re-proposing of the Gospel "to those regions awaiting the first evangelization and to those regions where the roots of Christianity are deep but who have experienced a serious crisis of faith due to secularization." The New Evangelization invites each Catholic to renew their relationship with Jesus Christ and his Church.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »

Just realized I never said, I'm NinjaSnark on CAF. Although people tended to read that as NinjaShark, which is admittedly cooler.

I like ninjasnark better (what happens when a good show goes south? it jumps the snark  Tongue )... ninja sharks sound like something out of an Austin Powers movie  Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #320 on: September 20, 2012, 09:51:58 PM »

Hahaha. Now I'm told there's somebody (a Catholic) in a thread on miaphysitism telling everyone that the OO do not find "Assyro-Chaldean" Christology heretical.

Shocked

The RCC is not the Borg.

You don't think resistance is futile?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »

He's someone who thinks he figured out how to bridge the gap between East-West-Oriental, and that anyone who doesn't get it the way he does he treats like you're dumb or dense or just plain stupid.

Unfortunately, many reunion projects that have sounded great to me (at least at first) somehow incorporated the idea that anyone who doesn't get-with-the-program is dense, or stubborn, or has emotional problems, or what have you.

choy
Archon

« Reply #322 on: September 21, 2012, 01:25:53 AM »

There, my avatar makes it known Wink
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2012, 06:05:43 AM »

Mardukm is going bananas on ConstantineTG. I wonder if he'll get suspended.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »

I have never seen that happen, no matter how heated his posts become.

On a side note, I really do wish that he would stop using so much bolded and underlined text in every post. There's nothing special about a bolded and underlined segment of red text, when half of your entire post is written that way; instead, that just makes the entire post incredibly hard to read.  Undecided  I must confess that I oftentimes skip over or at most merely skim his posts when he writes in such a fashion.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:58:09 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »

On a side note, I really do wish that he would stop using so much bolded and underlined text in every post. There's nothing special about a bolded and underlined segment of red text, when half of your entire post is written that way; instead, that just makes the entire post incredibly hard to read.  Undecided  I must confess that I oftentimes skip over or at most merely skim his posts when he writes in such a fashion.

Have you read the part where marduk says CTG is a hypocrite? I too barely read his posts, they're all so long and predictable.

-Samuel Coleridge
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »

Have you read the part where marduk says CTG is a hypocrite? I too barely read his posts, they're all so long and predictable.

I like his liberal use of the word "polemicists." It really ties the whole forum together.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »

Hahaha.

Com'on, guys...isn't it possible that we've all misunderstood the Roman Catholic position and hence there are no real contradictions between the Orthodox and the Catholics on many of these issues, and so we should all "translate" to the Catholic Church, since they and they alone have the valid successor to Peter? I mean, it's all right here in this agreed ecumenical statement, which was written by senior theologians...

</marduk post>

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

Hahaha.

Com'on, guys...isn't it possible that we've all misunderstood the Roman Catholic position and hence there are no real contradictions between the Orthodox and the Catholics on many of these issues, and so we should all "translate" to the Catholic Church, since they and they alone have the valid successor to Peter? I mean, it's all right here in this agreed ecumenical statement, which was written by senior theologians...

</marduk post>

Someone should really invite Mardukm over here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:09:27 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
choy
Archon

« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »

Who'll get suspended, me or him?  Grin

Seriously, do you think they'll suspend a Papist over an Orthodox sympathizer?

I've had one too many people PM me and say they feel I'm about to get banned.  Honestly, it is a miracle I haven't even gotten a warning the last 2 months since I started my "campaign" to right the wrongs of the Papacy  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:13:31 PM by choy » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #330 on: September 22, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »

Who'll get suspended, me or him?  Grin

Seriously, do you think they'll suspend a Papist over an Orthodox sympathizer?

If they've got any sense of justi... oh wait, never mind.

I've had one too many people PM me and say they feel I'm about to get banned.  Honestly, it is a miracle I haven't even gotten a warning the last 2 months since I started my "campaign" to right the wrongs of the Papacy  Grin Grin

No, no, you must not get banned. The show must go on.  Cheesy

-Samuel Coleridge
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »

Someone should really invite Mardukm over here.

He already came here several years ago.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2641

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »

Have you read the part where marduk says CTG is a hypocrite?

That I did. IIRC, he said both "utter hypocrisy" and "reverse uniatism".

I too barely read his posts, they're all so long and predictable.

Me too. Although to be honest, even though I find some of the statements he's made recently to be problematic (and not just the anti-Constantine post), I'm not particularly worried at the moment. I only really worry when he says something problematic and 6 or 7 other posters chime it with "That's so wise" or something like that.

choy
Archon

« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »

Me too. Although to be honest, even though I find some of the statements he's made recently to be problematic (and not just the anti-Constantine post), I'm not particularly worried at the moment. I only really worry when he says something problematic and 6 or 7 other posters chime it with "That's so wise" or something like that.

That is the problem with CAF.  People there act like a bunch of Fundies.  When someone says something they all agree with, they pat each other on the back and treat the guy as if he's a prophet or something.  Not only in this case but even with the Latin traditionalists.  And when you try to correct their error, you're a hypocrite, anti-Pope, Latin hater, etc.

I'm not gonna lie, I do lose my temper often.  But they really make it easy for one to lose their temper.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »

That is the problem with CAF. 

Indeed, I had gotten so accustomed to it that it was a bit of a shock recently when it didn't happen. Grin

choy
Archon

« Reply #335 on: September 23, 2012, 02:12:59 AM »

Oooohhhh, Catherine Grant is laying down the law in the Eastern Catholic Forum.

What is the current over/under that I will get banned?
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #336 on: September 23, 2012, 02:38:42 AM »

Boy...I've never seen anyone so excited to be exiled to internet purgatory.

And weren't you the one who told me that the mods don't pay attention over there? Whoops.  Tongue

choy
Archon

« Reply #337 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:09 AM »

And weren't you the one who told me that the mods don't pay attention over there? Whoops.  Tongue

Catherine lays the beatdown every now and then.  But she isn't as attentive as Thomas Casey of the Traddie forum. Then again knowing the trads, they have quick trigger fingers on the "report this post" link  Tongue

I mean, c'mon, the thread in question got to page 50 before a mod stepped in.  If that isn't not paying attention, I do not know what is Tongue
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:53:37 AM by choy » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

One thing I learnt yesterday: whiskey and debating on CAF is an unhappy combination. I was even defeated in debate by marybeloved, which hasn't happened to me ever before. After that I quickly said I needed some sleep and quickly left so save me from losing even more reputation  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:55:27 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »

One thing I learnt yesterday: whiskey and debating on CAF is an unhappy combination. I was even defeated in debate by marybeloved, which hasn't happened to me ever before. After that I quickly said I needed some sleep and quickly left to save me from losing even more reputation  Smiley

Accursed time limit on post edits!

In her last post she said that she doesn't care what anyone believes. I mean she didn't mention you, but it was clearly meant for you, I think.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:24:11 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2012, 07:23:41 AM »

I myself, once upon a time, didn't care too much about whether or not I got banned from CAF. Basically, I just thought to myself "Meh, it wouldn't be much skin off my nose, because OCnet is a much better forum anyhow." But in time the rose-colored glasses came off with regard to OCnet ... you can perhaps relate, since you've been around OCnet for a while yourself. (Granted, now I'm talking about OCnet on a thread that's supposed to be about CAF. But I'll shut up now.)

choy
Archon

« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »

I really don't have anyone on CAF I'd miss if I get banned there that I won't find here, have on facebook, or know their personal email address.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »

Yeah...after it became obvious that I would not be returning to the Catholic Church, I got some e-mails from a few people saying "Just in case you get banned, here's how you can contact me if you want to". That was nice. Smiley Plus, there's a lot we can discuss off-board that is not allowed on CAF (e.g., I was suspended for not liking Islam, which is not really considered a problematic stance for most Eastern Christians, Catholic or Orthodox, but is apparently seen as somewhat "anti-Catholic", in so far as it dissents from the official RCC line and makes some people sad).

choy
Archon

« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2012, 05:05:52 PM »

Catherine Grant just went through the whole thread and posted another message.  I wonder if I'm going to get something now.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »

She's watching you.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »

She's watching you.

If she bans me, who'll be left posting in the EC forum at CAF?  police
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »

Is this the thread where we can put down other people?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »

She's watching you.

If she bans me, who'll be left posting in the EC forum at CAF?  police
The Holy Spirit? Roll Eyes

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #348 on: September 23, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »

I used to be there too, still got a profile. But thought about it yesterday and it is best to leave the past behind and focus on the future, on prayers and learning the life of becoming and being orthodox.

What they do over there in the past, is their business. Not mine anymore. But: i will pray for them. As i pray for everyone in my intercessions.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:21:00 PM by Tommelomsky » Logged

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »

Is this the thread where we can put down other people?

The, as in singular/only...?  Huh

To almost make a serious point (fighting my VH1-loving demons which are telling me to post that Rockwell video in response to the "she's watching you" comment) for the consideration of Choy and anyone else who might be in his position, I think Tommy's point about leaving the past behind is a good one, in the sense that we should always make sure that we are converting to something, rather than away from something in our past. Orthodoxy deserves to be/can only truly be approached based on its own merits, not relative to Eastern Catholicism or anything else. Granted, that's easier said than done (I took a good 8-10 months away from the internet, specifically CAF, in trying to discern where I should be, because I know myself well enough to know that that's what I needed to be able to make any decision at all), but ultimately it's the right move, particularly if you have a lot of history in the Eastern Catholic Churches where you no doubt picked up the idea (or maybe were even explicitly told this) that the Eastern unia are really, really close to Orthodoxy, are Orthodox in everything except for union with Rome, or some such variation of that idea. It's really not the case, but that can be hard to grasp if you don't put away Rome-ish things... Grin

(Aside: But then I also wonder sometimes maybe if my own perspective isn't a bit more strict because I took the road less traveled and swam the Nile rather than the Bosphorus, which really is a longer distance to go, in terms of the adjustment from Catholicism, which rightly sees itself as an inheritor of Western tradition build upon a common Graeco-Roman cultural base -- even though they are largely now divorced from its Orthodox expression, to a somewhat more foreign Semitic/non-Hellenized perspective...for instance, reading the Life of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite by Besa is still rather shocking to me, as he's painted as an almost brutally zealous and somewhat cruel and violent man, and I wonder to myself: This is the great saint who first gave Orthodoxy its uniquely Coptic/native expression in Egypt? And I took his name at baptism, so he's my model? But then I calm down a bit and remember that it is still better than Latins, who can be quite severe at any given point in their history, but not in service of Orthodoxy...at least not past a certain point...)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #350 on: September 23, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »

Catherine Grant just went through the whole thread and posted another message. 

While I don't pretend that mods are perfect, I must say that I was impressed when she mentioned reading over 800 posts (plus regrouping them into various threads).

I wonder if I'm going to get something now.

Hopefully they will take into consideration how much you've contributed to CAF. Smiley (I mean posts, I won't ask whether you've given money.)

choy
Archon

« Reply #351 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »

My apologies I have turned this thread into a rant fest.  Please forgive me and pray for me.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »

There was also a short-lived thread that was closed this morning, and I'm glad it was. In it short life it generated a surprising degree of anti-Orthodox polemics -- particularly surprising given that the OP isn't someone thinking about leaving Catholicism, but someone thinking about joining Catholicism (whilst also considering Orthodoxy).

choy
Archon

« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »

There was also a short-lived thread that was closed this morning, and I'm glad it was. In it short life it generated a surprising degree of anti-Orthodox polemics -- particularly surprising given that the OP isn't someone thinking about leaving Catholicism, but someone thinking about joining Catholicism (whilst also considering Orthodoxy).

Oh, yeah.  Catherine said that people shouldn't be telling someone to leave Catholicism.  But I wanted to argue the guy who started the thread was neither, so to convince him to become Orthodox isn't really convincing him to leave Catholicism.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »

Oh, yeah.  Catherine said that people shouldn't be telling someone to leave Catholicism.  But I wanted to argue the guy who started the thread was neither, so to convince him to become Orthodox isn't really convincing him to leave Catholicism.
I know what you mean. I was glad that she closed the thread, given how anti-Orthodox many of the posts were, but I didn't really get her post. In fact, some readers might interpret what she said as a victory for the anti-Orthodox polemicists.

Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #355 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:34 AM »

Peter J: what i have learned from my journey that in a month from today is a half year (where did the time go, hey clock..easy! Oh..well) is that it just is a good thing to not let it affect you. Just offer it up to God about those who comes up with anti-comments.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:34:36 AM by Tommelomsky » Logged

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #356 on: September 24, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »

After many years I went over to CAF just to see the discussion on "What separates Eastern Catholicism from Eastern Orthodoxy? "

Its as if I never left that topic on that forum.  Its the same stuff being regurgitated over and over again.  In some way it looks fruitless and others sad.

This life as an Eastern Catholic, half way in Orthodoxy and the other in Roman Catholicism.  How does one keep from becoming scysophrenic<sp?> ?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:16:34 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »

This life as an Eastern Catholic, half way in Orthodoxy and the other in Roman Catholicism.  How does one keep from becoming scysophrenic<sp?> ?

Personally, I don't view Eastern Catholicism as any sort of ideal situation, but I'm not about to become one of the pioneering individuals who "return", as it were, to Orthodoxy (at least not at this point; I can't say what the future may hold). In short, you could say I'm a hold-out.

Anyhow, you can perhaps understand why, when speaking to someone who is Orthodox, I don't try to convince them to come over to Catholicism. As a matter of fact, it occurred to me earlier today that even if I were speaking to a Protestant who was planning to join Orthodoxy, but hadn't done so yet, I still wouldn't try to persuade him/her to join Catholicism instead.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »

Since this is a general thread about CAF anyway, I think I'm being contacted by a creep there. Really strange pm's about what dresses I wear and whether I'm female.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:50:18 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »

Ew. Report that to a moderator immediately, Cyrillic. Even if you did wear dresses, that's none of his business!  Grin

Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: