OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:44:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 22468 times) Average Rating: 0
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »

I think making excuses for behavior that laid two cities to burn and that St. Paul himself would not allow one to enter into the Kingdom, is much more cruel.

Noone wishes to encourage immorality but, despite Saint Paul's warning that fornicators will not enter the Kingdom,  canon 6 of Saint Basil, taken into the universal Church at the Council of Trullo, permits fornicators to continue in fornication.

I do not pretend to understand this dichotomy but the fact is that it exists.  An example of serious pastoral economy?

If a presbyter has through ignorance contracted an illegal marriage, while he still retains the right to his place, as we have defined in the sacred canons, yet he must abstain from all sacerdotal work. For it is sufficient if to such an one indulgence is granted. For he is unfit to bless another who needs to take care of his own wounds, for blessing is the imparting of sanctification. But how can he impart this to another who does not possess it himself through a sin of ignorance? Neither then in public nor in private can he bless nor distribute to others the body of Christ, [nor perform any other ministry]; but being content with his seat of honour let him lament to the Lord that his sin of ignorance may be remitted. For it is manifest that the nefarious marriage must be dissolved, neither can the man have any intercourse with her on account of whom he is deprived of the execution of his priesthood.

Council in Trullo (A.D. 692) Canon 26

Huh??

cititation requested.  You have 24 hours to comply or you will be placed on warning status for a week Thank you, username! moderator [color/]
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2012, 11:03:15 PM »

Not necessarily related to the "encyclopedia robot" idea, but was I a bit amazed by this statement that was made on CAF today

Quote from: mardukm
Orthodox ideas are not wrong, but are valid and holy.

His profile reads
Religion: Orthodox in Communion w/ Rome (Copt)
(he's Catholic).

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »

Not necessarily related to the "encyclopedia robot" idea, but was I a bit amazed by this statement that was made on CAF today

His profile reads
(he's Catholic).
no, he's in submission to the Vatican.  His ideas are, how shall we say, idiosyncratic, as has been pointed out by his former and present correligionists.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »

Another guideline post at CAF is titled On the use of the words uniate, schismatic, and heretic. This isn't a new post (in fact it's from shortly after the switch from "EC" to "EC") but I read it recently for unrelated reasons.

The reason I mention it is the second paragraph which begins with "In recent history, there has been some increase in the use of the term [uniate] by Rome itself". Can anyone explain for me what she is referring to? I don't recall Rome using the U-word recently.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:21:33 PM by Peter J » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »

We're running out of Orthodox members over at CAF.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

They even gave me the boot. They can't take a little heat. I am quite surprised that you aren't banned over there yet.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:39:37 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
KShaft

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »

They even gave me the boot. They can't take a little heat. I am quite surprised that you aren't banned over there yet.

No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff. Call em on it and your an old fashioned, uncharitable, perhaps bigoted, big fat meanie. They're ecumenical towards everyone except those who adhere to the truth or at least try to.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »

No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff. Call em on it and your an old fashioned, uncharitable, perhaps bigoted, big fat meanie. They're ecumenical towards everyone except those who adhere to the truth or at least try to.

I think they are charitable toward anyone that isn't a big competitor. Not too many people will give up Roman Catholicism for Yoga..Orthodoxy on the other hand ...........

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »

Also, don't make the mistake of saying Islam is a false religion. Even though it is a big competitor to Catholicism, we can't say that it's false. That's uncharitable.

Things I learned today... Grin

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »

Also, don't make the mistake of saying Islam is a false religion. Even though it is a big competitor to Catholicism, we can't say that it's false. That's uncharitable.

I also find the modern Roman Catholic position on Islam to be problematic. 

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »

A shame. It's become so hostile at CAF that I really have lost much of my desire to post there.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »

No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff.

I find your second sentence pretty hard to believe (I could be wrong -- I seldom interact with non-Christians on CAF). But I have certainly known a bunch of traditional Catholics who don't like the way things are at CAF.

Although, interestingly enough, the traditional crowd and the Eastern crowd generally don't ally with each other at CAF.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #282 on: September 15, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »

Indeed, I generally recommend taking care about what you say to whom over there.

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #283 on: September 15, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »

Also most upsetting is that they banned Hesychios. It is too bad that he does not post here at OC.net very often. Undecided
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:24:57 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #284 on: September 15, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »

Is CAF the same place where they got rid of the Orthodox section and banned a bunch of people? I guess there were alot of people converting to Orthodoxy and that didn't sit well with the mods.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
choy
Archon

« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2012, 01:31:45 AM »

Everyone is surprised, myself included  Grin

I have began to wonder if the admins were on vacation or something.  They used to be quick to the trigger.  I have gotten a lot of warnings over the last few months.  But my recent pro-Orthodox position hasn't even gotten me one warning whilst it has gotten many recognized Orthodox posters banned.  I'm guessing they are trying to keep me on hoping those who are convincing me to reconsider Orthodoxy might succeed?  I don't know.
choy
Archon

« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2012, 01:34:52 AM »

They don't have good, solid tracts against Orthodoxy.  I guess that is why.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »

They don't have good, solid tracts against Orthodoxy.  I guess that is why.

This. Even I could disprove every argument they made in their silly anti-Orthodoxy tracts. On the other hand, it's hard to argue against the truth so any tract against Orthodoxy will be difficult to make.

Also most upsetting is that they banned Hesychios. It is too bad that he does not post here at OC.net very often. Undecided

That was sad. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. Hesychios was always really nice to everyone.

But meh, my three favorite posters from CAF, Dzheremi, Cavaradossi and ConstantineTG, are all here anyway. If it weren't for these luminaries I might be a Latin now.

I once said the same on the Non-Catholic [sic] Religions section about the modern RC position on Judaism. Unbelievable what a can of worms I opened there! Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:53:09 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2012, 05:12:34 AM »

No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff.

Although, interestingly enough, the traditional crowd and the Eastern crowd generally don't ally with each other at CAF.

D-uh, the traditionalists seem to think that Eastern christians are modernists with icons.

Indeed, I generally recommend taking care about what you say to whom over there.

I was never insulting or anything. I must admit that I was sometimes a little bit sarcastic, but that's just my writing style.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:14:10 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »

Is CAF the same place where they got rid of the Orthodox section and banned a bunch of people?

Yes, they did ban a bunch of people.  Sad

As for "got rid of the Orthodox section" ... they used to have an "Eastern Christianity" section, which they removed/replaced with the "Eastern Catholicism" section. To be honest, I find the complaints about that a tad strange. After all, OCnet doesn't have an "Eastern Christianity" section, but you don't see people complaining about that. (Although I suppose some of the complaints are more to the tune of "They did a bait-and-switch by having an "Eastern Christianity" forum and then suddenly replacing it." Which makes more sense to me then straights complaints about the lack of "Eastern Christianity" forum.)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #290 on: September 16, 2012, 07:41:08 AM »

I was never insulting or anything. I must admit that I was sometimes a little bit sarcastic, but that's just my writing style.

Yeah, I don't recall you bein' bad.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

Yeah, I still cannot believe that they banned Hesychios. I should be banned before Hesychios. That guy never had a bad word to say about anything or anybody. It shocks me some of the people who are allowed to remain (none of the present company included) while others are not, but then I guess I wouldn't make a very good mod at CAF, so it's not really my call to make.

While it is, after all, only an internet message board and nothing like an official organ of the RCC, I see the attitude over there as kind of symbolizing or at least providing a very difficult to dismiss example of why reunion is essentially a pipe dream: We are all brothers until you say something that we, the all-powerful Latins, don't like. It doesn't even have to be something there is a dogmatic position on (e.g., the Islam talk, which CCC 841 notwithstanding, seems to be an area on which even faithful Catholics may disagree); it's enough that you offend our vision of what Christianity is.

Well, what on earth are we supposed to do about that? Say that our faith is something that it's not (false), and your faith is something that it's not (true)? They would have us lie rather than confess the truth as we know it. I don't understand that. I've never known any Orthodox to want that, whether in the Orthodox-RCC dialogues, or the OO-EO dialogues, or general Christian-unbeliever dialogues, etc. I respect the RCC when it is at its least (fake) "charitable", even if they call me a heretic and an apostate in the process, because if you really believe in your faith, then that's it. This is the faith of the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. This other thing over there is not. This is why I liked Pope Benedict when I first read some of his writings, because he seemed to want to return to speaking plainly and with the weight of tradition on his side in restoring the Latin mass, getting rid of lax practices, etc. Basically, it seemed like he actually believed he was the Pope of a Christian church, as opposed to someone like JPII who was a goodwill ambassador to the rest of the world, inviting interfaith prayer in Assisi (egad! Lord no!), confronting communism in Poland, etc. I don't get that. I could only be a Latin so long as I believed in it, you know? And I only came to Orthodoxy after coming to believe in it -- not respecting it as the Catholics say they do, nor finding it interesting or curious, but actually believing in it. It seems like many of the Orthodox were banned because they believed just a bit too much. It is uncomfortable and uncharitable in the modern RC view.

Sorry, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night so I'm probably not making any sense, but I don't know...something about the way that the modern RCC approaches or conceives of Christianity bothers me at a very basic level, and I think CAF is a perfect example of where that fundamentally flawed faith and outlook leads in practice.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:50:11 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »

I'd say it's a little more than problematic... Angry

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
choy
Archon

« Reply #293 on: September 19, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

Is Nine_Two the only Orthodox left at CAF?  I hardly recognize anyone else.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #294 on: September 19, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »

Cavaradossi is still there (unless they banned him in the time since they suspended me), but doesn't post very much.

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #295 on: September 19, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »

Cavaradossi is still there (unless they banned him in the time since they suspended me), but doesn't post very much.

If you say things like that, you will jinx me. laugh

I do not post much any longer, as I feel that the chances for any serious discussion at CAF are close to nothing now. The environment there has become stifling.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #296 on: September 19, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

Sorry. Didn't mean to jinx you.  Smiley

I'm not sure I want to come back after my suspension is over. I agree that the environment over there is not very healthy...not sure I want to add to that anymore.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #297 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »

I cannot imagine what possible reason they had to concoct to ban Hesychios. Words escape me.

I didn't know ConstantineTG was here, is he still EC?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
choy
Archon

« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »

I cannot imagine what possible reason they had to concoct to ban Hesychios. Words escape me.

For the moment Wink
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »

For the moment Wink

You're ConstantineTG!

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
choy
Archon

« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »

Should I run and hide?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »

Should I run and hide?

It's too late, the lynching mob is already here.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

If you say things like that, you will jinx me. laugh

I do not post much any longer, as I feel that the chances for any serious discussion at CAF are close to nothing now. The environment there has become stifling.

Since the last banning spree the EC forum has become untolerably boring (except that part where mardukm was called an apostate, which was funny). No surprise since they banned almost everyone who could argue against them
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:51:34 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »

Should I run and hide?

Did you mean the Inquisitors Tongue
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »

Should I run and hide?

Did you mean the Inquisitors Tongue

The Bearded Inquisitors. They only do Orthodoxy or Death  Wink

choy
Archon

« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »

So they will drag me into an Orthodox Church and Chrismate me?

cool!  Wink
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »

So they will drag me into an Orthodox Church and Chrismate me?

cool!  Wink

Either that or they'll smash your brains out with icons  Cheesy

I can't wait for them to arrive in town myself, too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:58:36 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »

Honestly I don't know what to think of my notoriety.
choy
Archon

« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »

His profile reads
(he's Catholic).

He's someone who thinks he figured out how to bridge the gap between East-West-Oriental, and that anyone who doesn't get it the way he does he treats like you're dumb or dense or just plain stupid.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

I'm jealous. I'm not even half as notorious. Tongue

choy
Archon

« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

I'm jealous. I'm not even half as notorious. Tongue

I won't be surprised if I end up Protestant because I get thrown out of every Apostolic Church I go to Tongue
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »

Hahaha. Now I'm told there's somebody (a Catholic) in a thread on miaphysitism telling everyone that the OO do not find "Assyro-Chaldean" Christology heretical. Boy, it's a good thing I'm suspended, because there's no way I'd just let that sit there...as though we're supposed to believe that the Coptic synod somehow magically received the 'agreed' Christological statement of 1996 as Orthodox (they didn't; the Nestorians accepted it, but the Copts rejected it, hence there is no agreement and the Nestorians are just as heretical as they ever were), just because that's what the likes of Mardukm would want to believe (being drafted, as it was, by "senior theologians" or whatever). It is better to be thought of as a heretic by a heretic than to be told by him that you and he really believe the same thing, but maybe just word it differently. That is much more offensive. I deliberately left the Latin communion and now they tell me that I didn't really leave, because of this agreement and that agreement (even ones we didn't actually sign off on)? I'm sorry, but no. The RCC is not the Borg. Go away and stay there. Don't call us; we'll call you.

I can really see why some EO (and OO, but it seems like a much smaller number) are so anti-ecumenism. This kind of thing really drives me nuts.

(Re-reading this before posting, I can really see why I got suspended. Hahaha.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:07:06 PM by dzheremi » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »

The RCC is not the Borg.

Best. Analogy. Ever.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »

It's been a while since I've even lurked CAF, but I've wished for some time that mardukm would come over here where conversation isn't so... hindered. I think a conversation between ialmisry and mardukm would be so full of red font and maps, it would be epic.

For the moment Wink

Nice to see you around these parts. I'm sure you don't even know me since I was 95% pure lurker on CAF, but all the same, glad you're here.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
choy
Archon

« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »

It's been a while since I've even lurked CAF, but I've wished for some time that mardukm would come over here where conversation isn't so... hindered. I think a conversation between ialmisry and mardukm would be so full of red font and maps, it would be epic.

For the moment Wink

Nice to see you around these parts. I'm sure you don't even know me since I was 95% pure lurker on CAF, but all the same, glad you're here.

Thanks!  At least your one person who recognizes me and didn't bring a pitchfork and a torch Cheesy
Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: