OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:25:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church  (Read 695 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« on: December 09, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »

Now, please be kind because I have litte to no knowledge about the nature of Church and state relations in Russia. However, based on my perception from what I have seen here on this board, perhaps  you can clear up some issues for me. First, from what I have seen and what I have been told, secularism has quite a stronghold in Russia, as a small minority attend Church every Sunday, whether they are Orthodox or not. However, on the flip side, it appears that the state and the Church have a profoundly strong relationship, and that the Russian Church exercises great influence over the affairs of the state. Again I could be wrong, but this is how I perceive it (NOTE: I think it's a good thing that the Russian Orthodox Church has great influence over the state). That being said, it appears to be a great contradiction: A population that lives highly secular lives and very close relationship between the state and the Church. Can some one help to understand how these opposing forces affect the situation in Russia? How did the Church attain such influence in this climate?

Thanks,
Chris

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »

This is a guess on my part, but it may have something to do with the fall of Communism in the late 1980s and the fact that since then, people have regained the rights to more free speech and practice of religion. They can now do things that would have gotten them sent to jail in the Communist days. So, maybe the closeness between church and state comes from that.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »

This is a guess on my part, but it may have something to do with the fall of Communism in the late 1980s and the fact that since then, people have regained the rights to more free speech and practice of religion. They can now do things that would have gotten them sent to jail in the Communist days. So, maybe the closeness between church and state comes from that.

That and the relations of the Moscow Patriarchate under communism with the state. While not always good, the Patriarchate was in some part still influential.

As for a small minority going to church, this is the case in all Orthodox countries. Regular Sunday church attendance in post-communist countries is not the norm, but more and more people identify with Christianity as their faith. Now, what they actually understand of it or how they practice it are other matters. However, with the exception of Byzantium where interest in theological niceties was popular (although not often salvific), modern and ancient Orthodox peoples, on the whole, are not well educated spiritually.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »

they are a bit (only a bit!) like anglicans in the uk.
here is a typical conversation:
what's your religion?
...anglican / orthodox (delete as appropriate).
how often to you go to church?
...Christmas and weddings.
do you believe in God?
...well there's something up there, isn't there? so, i suppose, yes.
do you believe in hell?
...well, not really, i mean it doesn't sound very nice.
how often do you read the Bible?
...do what??

this is what u get when you allow the church to be compromised, liberalised and used a tool of the state to control the masses (yes, that happened too in the uk, just it was more than 100 years ago).

it seems the moscow patriarchate is doing a lot to make up for the damaged years, may God give them wisdom and may they never fall back into placating the state.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »

Like ROCOR.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:02:32 PM »

Now, please be kind because I have litte to no knowledge about the nature of Church and state relations in Russia. However, based on my perception from what I have seen here on this board, perhaps  you can clear up some issues for me. First, from what I have seen and what I have been told, secularism has quite a stronghold in Russia, as a small minority attend Church every Sunday, whether they are Orthodox or not. However, on the flip side, it appears that the state and the Church have a profoundly strong relationship, and that the Russian Church exercises great influence over the affairs of the state. Again I could be wrong, but this is how I perceive it (NOTE: I think it's a good thing that the Russian Orthodox Church has great influence over the state). That being said, it appears to be a great contradiction: A population that lives highly secular lives and very close relationship between the state and the Church. Can some one help to understand how these opposing forces affect the situation in Russia? How did the Church attain such influence in this climate?

Thanks,
Chris
Have you ever been to Italy?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »

However, on the flip side, it appears that the state and the Church have a profoundly strong relationship, and that the Russian Church exercises great influence over the affairs of the state. Again I could be wrong, but this is how I perceive it.
This is only how it has been put forward to me, but it is my understanding that this is part of a program for a restored Russian nationalism. The Russian Church, for better or ill, is a symbol of Russia's former -- and, in their mind, coming -- greatness. Add in the Third and Final Rome polemic, and it all starts to make sense...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:14:26 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »

Like ROCOR.

What's like ROCOR?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »

do you believe in hell?
...well, not really, i mean it doesn't sound very nice.

laugh

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »

Thanks,
Chris

Or Poland?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »

Thanks,
Chris

Or Poland?
Has secularism spread to Poland?  When I was there in 1987, it hadn't.  I've noticed that many Poles who didn't mind the Vatican getting involved in Polish affairs under communism have now told it to mind its own business, now that the Pope's legions have defeated Stalin's.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: