OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ewwwww weeee oooooooo... Welcome to the Twilight Zone  (Read 1015 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: September 02, 2004, 12:07:36 PM »

Space signal studied for alien contact

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An unexplained radio signal from deep space could -- just might be -- contact from an alien civilization, New Scientist magazine reported on Thursday.

The signal, coming from a point between the Pisces and Aries constellations, has been picked up three times by a telescope in Puerto Rico.

There are other explanations besides extraterrestrial contact that may explain the signal. New Scientist said the signal could be generated by a previously unknown astronomical phenomenon or even be a by-product from the telescope itself.

But the mystery beam has excited astronomers across the world.

"If they can see it four, five or six times it really begins to get exciting," Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath in western England told the magazine.

It was broadcast on the main frequency at which the universe's most common element, hydrogen, absorbs and emits energy, and which astronomers say is the most likely means by which aliens would advertise their presence.

The potentially extraterrestrial signals were picked up through the SETI+home project, which uses programs running as screensavers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through the huge amount of data picked up by the telescope.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 12:38:54 PM »

:cwm33:

Those scientists (well, most people for that matter) should read the UFO section of Fr. Seraphim Rose's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.
Twenty Nine

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 01:03:33 PM »

Tom --

I heard the signal...they want you back home.

Gregory

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 02:28:54 PM »

Elisha is right...demons with UFOs are even scarier than aliens with UFOs. Cheesy

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 03:44:54 PM »

WE ARE THE BORG...
YOU WILL BE ASSIMULATED...
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 04:08:25 PM »

WE ARE THE BORG...
YOU WILL BE ASSIMULATED...
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

LOL...reminds me of a bumper sticker...

Drunk Borg: "We are the (hic) Borg...your @$$ will be simulated...."

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: