OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:38:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheen “nourished” by narrating Dalai Lama’s book  (Read 1560 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 08, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »

NEW YORK – For more than 40 years actor Martin Sheen has inhabited complex characters from the troubled Capt. Willard in the Vietnam film “Apocalypse Now” to U.S. President Josiah Bartlet on the hit TV drama “The West Wing.”

But for one of his latest projects, Sheen, 71, did not have to reach far. The devout Catholic narrated the audiobook of “Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World,” a new book by the Dalai Lama.
Q: As a devout Catholic, how did you feel about narrating a book that calls for thinking about spirituality and ethics in a way that is “beyond religion” altogether?

A: “You can’t separate any honest effort that is truthful. As my wife is always telling me, the truth is universal and omnipresent. You can’t question where it comes from. The Dalai Lama lives a very honest and truthful life. He’s a reflection of the Gospels, whether he would call it such or not. What he is striving to do with this book is to find a common ground in the secular world because his whole point is that the vast majority of the world is not religious or religiously inclined.”

Q: Aren’t there already a lot of ethical, non-religious people?

A: “Sure and I think the Dalai Lama’s book will encourage them and sustain them. It doesn’t say drop your religion; [it doesn't say that] you can’t go this path and remain a Catholic or a Protestant or a Muslim or a Jew. On the contrary, it’s about your humanity. That’s where we’re all united. I think what he is trying to do is enlarge the circle. He’s trying to ensure people that they don’t have to give up anything that they believe in order to enlarge their possibilities.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »

NEW YORK – For more than 40 years actor Martin Sheen has inhabited complex characters from the troubled Capt. Willard in the Vietnam film “Apocalypse Now” to U.S. President Josiah Bartlet on the hit TV drama “The West Wing.”

But for one of his latest projects, Sheen, 71, did not have to reach far. The devout Catholic narrated the audiobook of “Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World,” a new book by the Dalai Lama.
Q: As a devout Catholic, how did you feel about narrating a book that calls for thinking about spirituality and ethics in a way that is “beyond religion” altogether?

A: “You can’t separate any honest effort that is truthful. As my wife is always telling me, the truth is universal and omnipresent. You can’t question where it comes from. The Dalai Lama lives a very honest and truthful life. He’s a reflection of the Gospels, whether he would call it such or not. What he is striving to do with this book is to find a common ground in the secular world because his whole point is that the vast majority of the world is not religious or religiously inclined.”

Q: Aren’t there already a lot of ethical, non-religious people?

A: “Sure and I think the Dalai Lama’s book will encourage them and sustain them. It doesn’t say drop your religion; [it doesn't say that] you can’t go this path and remain a Catholic or a Protestant or a Muslim or a Jew. On the contrary, it’s about your humanity. That’s where we’re all united. I think what he is trying to do is enlarge the circle. He’s trying to ensure people that they don’t have to give up anything that they believe in order to enlarge their possibilities.”

Other than the fact that Martin Sheen is a Catholic, is there some reason this is placed in this section rather than news or some other area?

Is there something you want to know or say about it?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »

As a devout Catholic
I couldnt help but chuckle.

All in all, this just sounds like hyper-emotional nonsense to me. He'll be "nourished" for about a month or two, then when the feeling goes away its back to coke, women, and "win".

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »

As a devout Catholic

All in all, this just sounds like hyper-emotional nonsense to me. He'll be "nourished" for about a month or two, then when the feeling goes away its back to coke, women, and "win".

PP

I think you're confusing Martin with his son, Charlie.  But...who cares, really?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »

As a devout Catholic

PP

I think you're confusing Martin with his son, Charlie.  But...who cares, really?
Ah, you're right. Sorry about that.

They were both great on Wall Street Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »

I TOTALLY thought this was about Charlie Sheen. It would have been infinitely more interesting.  laugh

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »

I TOTALLY thought this was about Charlie Sheen. It would have been infinitely more interesting.  laugh

Really?Huh  You *are* joking, right?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:55:09 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »

I TOTALLY thought this was about Charlie Sheen. It would have been infinitely more interesting.  laugh

As one of the women who cannot stand Charlie Sheen, of course I'm joking.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »

Phew!!!  You had me worried for a moment Wink.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »

mispost.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:25:26 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »

I TOTALLY thought this was about Charlie Sheen. It would have been infinitely more interesting.  laugh

I agree. Wink
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »

How would that not have been more interesting. While Charlie Sheen does not seem to be a praiseworthy fellow (although I judge not in my abject humility), he probably would have had some interesting things to say about religion and stuff.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 03:31:41 PM »

He would probably be winning at religion.

--
--
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »

How would that not have been more interesting. While Charlie Sheen does not seem to be a praiseworthy fellow (although I judge not in my abject humility), he probably would have had some interesting things to say about religion and stuff.

"Stuff"?  You mean like leading an exemplary lifestyle and being a shining role-model for youth?  That kind of stuff?

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »

"Stuff"?  You mean like leading an exemplary lifestyle and being a shining role-model for youth?  That kind of stuff?

Crazy is more interesting that 1950's morality.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »

Old Chinese curse:  "May you live in *interesting* times."

I've lived, seen, and done more  "interesting" than you could probably even imagine.  You may have it.  I'll take the '50's morality.  Have "fun"   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes!

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »

I've lived, seen, and done more  "interesting" than you could probably even imagine.  You may have it.  I'll take the '50's morality.  Have "fun"   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes!

I can tell you are from the 50's because you don't understand internets at all.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 04:21:22 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

"Internets"?  What, there's more than 1?  No wonder I'm confused!  I must be on the wrong one!! 

It's truly miraculous that I can even operate a computer!!

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

"Internets"?  What, there's more than 1?  No wonder I'm confused!  I must be on the wrong one!! 

here you go, a chuckle describing internetS.

http://ohinternet.com/Internets

Internets is a phrase used by those that consider themselves to be hip to refer to the Internet. A joke states that the internet was invented by Al Gore, pluralized by George W. Bush. "Internets" was originally uttered by then-candidate Bush while campaigning. It gained meme status when he used it again in 2004

Read the whole thing. its pretty funny.

PP

Gregory the Great

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

here you go, a chuckle describing internetS.

http://ohinternet.com/Internets

Internets is a phrase used by those that consider themselves to be hip to refer to the Internet. A joke states that the internet was invented by Al Gore, pluralized by George W. Bush. "Internets" was originally uttered by then-candidate Bush while campaigning. It gained meme status when he used it again in 2004

Read the whole thing. its pretty funny.

PP

ROTFLOL  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

How'd they get that baby picture of me, though?

I think you, PP, have just won 100 internets!!

Now, then....where's my "mouse" trap??

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »

It is internetz.

And I am STRONGLY in the camp that internet ain't to be capitalized.

It is a medium of information transfer. We don't capitalize others media of transferring infos.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »

It is internetz.

It is a medium of information transfer. We don't capitalize others media of transferring infos.

Sheesh....so serious Grin!  You're not from the 1950's are you  Wink?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »

It is internetz.

Should "info" be pluralised?  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »

It is internetz.

Let's vote on it!!!!!!!! Grin

(I wonder if we're off-topic enough, yet  Grin?!)

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »

It is internetz.

Heavens, no! We have 18 more pages to go before we are off-topic enough!  angel laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »

It is internetz.

Heavens, no! We have 18 more pages to go before we are off-topic enough!  angel laugh

That's excellent and exciting news!  Verging on "interesting"!!  Grin Grin

samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »

As a devout Catholic

PP

LOL... You thought Charlie Sheen was 71?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »

Other than the fact that Martin Sheen is a Catholic, is there some reason this is placed in this section rather than news or some other area?

Is there something you want to know or say about it?

It's interesting that, pre-Vatican II, not too many Catholics would have been eager to narrate a book written by a Buddhist. Sheen on how an Episcopalian helped him return to the Church:

NCR: What came next for you spiritually?

Martin Sheen: “Apocalypse Now” began a journey for me that culminated in Paris in 1981. This is when I was able to bring it all together -- my life, my family, my career, my brokenness. I was doing this little film in Paris and the family couldn’t come because of school and things. I had time to walk around and reflect on all that had gone down before, and I ran into Terrence Malick. I had known him from the early ’70s, since “Badlands.” At that time he was living under the radar. He is an articulate and spiritual man and he became a kind of spiritual adviser for me. We would talk endlessly when I wasn’t working. We would talk about spirituality and philosophy and the journey. He’s an Episcopalian.

NCR: That’s interesting. Because the Catholic News Service review of Malick’s latest film, “The Tree of Life,” says that “Malick’s agnosticism seems to win out.” It sounds like you would not agree with that assessment.

Sheen: He and his wife Jill Jakes divorced after “Badlands” [1973]. He was broken and went to a church in Paris and met Michelle Morette. They married in 1985 and he brought her to the States but they split up in 1998. Terrence married his childhood sweetheart, Alexandra “Ecky” Wallace, that same year in Texas. Ecky attended seminary and I believe she is ordained. Today they attend an Episcopal church. Malick went to St. Stephen’s, an Episcopal boarding school, in Austin, Texas, and he’s very connected to that school.

At any rate, Malick became a kind of life coach for me. He became a great anchor for me. The last book he gave me to read, and he had me read several times, was The Brothers Karamazov and it transformed my spirit. When I finished reading it I put it down and literally got up and walked to St. Joseph Church [the English-speaking parish in Paris]. It was May Day and I banged on the door and this Irish Passionist priest opened the door and said, “What’s going on?” I told him, “I have been away from the church for a long time and I’d like to go to confession.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »

I must admit that I tend to agree with most of this. Although, I would say that truth unquestioningly comes from God, even if it's found in surprising places.

Hmmm, messed up the quoting again....  Angry
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:33:04 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »

It is internetz.

Absolutely. But it hasn't risen to the use of the z pluralization yet.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »

mispost.

This must be one of the most profound statements I've read on internets today.  Well, okay, maybe just this thread.

I nominate it for POST OF THE MONTH!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:46:44 PM by J Michael » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »

It is internetz.

laugh laugh I'm British, I spell English words properly!  Tongue

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »

It is internetz.

The pluralization of non-countable nouns is an internetzizm.

advices
psychologicals

etc.

It tend to reflect a less than strict use of the word or ironic. Using a z for the plural is an intensifier.

For example:

Some asks a question on OC.net about something that everyone says to ask your Priest about.

Knowing this, they say:

OK, I need some advices. Blah blah blah.

This acknowledges the above fact that the person knows the default and "best" answer is to ask their Priest and they still want advice from others. Others seeing the plural understand the person is going to take their advice with a grain of salt AND ask their Priest and thus can answer without the typical caveats or worries that this person doesn't know the SOP.

When some here give out some decent psychological advice in a loose sense, I often will respond with: Good psychologicals. This shows that I am acknowledging the fact the person is not a professional nor should their advice taken to be such, but seems to run right according to my experience and understanding of "psychology".

Now if I want psychological advice on something about which I know is basically an absurd situation and the answer is staring me in the face and am looking for just a push into the right direction, I might post:

OK, I have this situation. Blah blah blah. I could use some psychologicalz.

Or stronger yet zychologicalz.

Make sense yet?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »

It is internetz.

That's excellent and exciting news!  Verging on "interesting"!!  Grin Grin

Over / under on the page each of the following:

Hitler
Filioque
Homosexuality

Gets used other than in the above italics.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »

It is internetz.

advices
psychologicals

etc.

It tend to reflect a less than strict use of the word or ironic. Using a z for the plural is an intensifier.

For example:

Some asks a question on OC.net about something that everyone says to ask your Priest about.

Knowing this, they say:

This acknowledges the above fact that the person knows the default and "best" answer is to ask their Priest and they still want advice from others. Others seeing the plural understand the person is going to take their advice with a grain of salt AND ask their Priest and thus can answer without the typical caveats or worries that this person doesn't know the SOP.

When some here give out some decent psychological advice in a loose sense, I often will respond with: Good psychologicals. This shows that I am acknowledging the fact the person is not a professional nor should their advice taken to be such, but seems to run right according to my experience and understanding of "psychology".

Now if I want psychological advice on something about which I know is basically an absurd situation and the answer is staring me in the face and am looking for just a push into the right direction, I might post:

Make sense yet?

Wowzer!!  And here I thought it was all just baaaad Englishez.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

It is internetz.

advices
psychologicals

etc.

For example:

Knowing this, they say:

Make sense yet?

laugh My head is spinning and I supsect yours is, too!!  laugh

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »

It is internetz.

advices
psychologicals

etc.

For example:

Knowing this, they say:

Make sense yet?

Wowzer!!  And here I thought it was all just baaaad Englishez.

I'm with you on this, J Michael!  laugh

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »

It is internetz.

advices
psychologicals

etc.

For example:

Knowing this, they say:

Make sense yet?

Everyone, what song is on my mind?

Ikh bin a kleyner dreydl . . .

(I am a little dreidel)

Or the goyische kopf version (gentile head):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ1diGCosjQ

(Our favorite praise worship leader singing about spinning around)

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »

It is internetz.

advices
psychologicals

etc.

For example:

Knowing this, they say:

Make sense yet?

laugh My head is spinning and I supsect yours is, too!!  laugh

(I am a little dreidel)

Oy vey ist mir!! Mein kopf izt zpinning rount und rount!!!

I hereby declare that this thread has surpassed "interesting" and moved into "beyond bizarre".
Sic J Michael dixit--or something like that Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:17:03 PM by J Michael » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »

It is internetz.

advices
psychologicals

etc.

For example:

Knowing this, they say:

Make sense yet?

(I am a little dreidel)

Oh, thanks a lot! What melody will I not be able to get out of my head now!!!

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »

That clip brings me to tears of laughter still.

There is too much to say.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »

laugh

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »

I have great respect for Martin Sheen, who is indeed a devout Catholic. He is one of the few Hollywood actors whose social activism is authentic and religiously motivated, IMO. Martin Sheen was good friends with Dorothy Day and the Berrigan brothers, and he was active in the Catholic Worker Movement. Martin Sheen is also very Pro-Life. In fact, a few years ago when Planned Parenthood listed him along with other Hollywood celebrities as a supporter of their organization he was very upset and demanded that they remove his name from their list.

It's sad that his son has not followed in his father's social and spiritual footsteps. However, Martin Sheen seems to love his son deeply and apears to extend him unconditional fatherly and Christian love.

Martin Sheen is a great actor and a classy individual in my opinion, and you can't say that about too many people in Hollywood.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: